Think Pink In October - Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Topic locked
Think Pink in October - Breast Cancer Awareness Month Oct 02, 2005
Hello All,

Just a reminder that October is International Breast Cancer Awareness month, so if you see those little ribbons or pins, pick one up or wear something pink to show your support for those who're suffering and surviving. Sadly it's a disease which has touched my family and my grandmother wasn't one of those lucky survivors.

Around 1 in 10 women will be affect by breast cancer, so don't forget regular checks as the earlier it's caught the better the outcome.

And guys don't forget that breast cancer can also affect you too, it's not an illness that just targets women.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 02, 2005
also, free mammograms are given during the month.. a good time to get comfortable with those big metal plates :? worth the uncomfort, certainly.
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 13, 2005
I came across the most rididulous thing the other day. An Emirati who took offense at people talking about Breast Cancer during Ramadan - how completely ignorant could this person be. Sorry that October is INTERNATIONAL BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH. Just because the word breast happens to be mentioned, it's not a dirty word and is the medical term for the mammary glands on the female anatomy.

We're not talking about breasts in an erotic or sexual manner, it's very serious and affects thousands of women AND MEN world wide.

It's important to carry out monthly checks as early detection can increase the chances of survival from 18% to 93%.

I'm so sorry if describing how a woman should check herself offends you, but I'm more interested in saving someones life.

There was an extremely brave lady on the radio the other day who had a voluntary double mastectomy (both breasts removed even though healthy) because most of the women in her family had died or are suffering from cancer and the chances of her contracting it are virtually 100% as it can be genetic. To go through that and then to go on air and talk about it to the nation shows tremendous bravery.

To have someone complain about that shows how ignorant, uneducated and pathetic they are.

Breast Cancer is a serious issue it WILL affect many of us in our lives either directly or indirectly.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 13, 2005
Apologies if this comes across as a bit of a rant, but I was so annoyed at this persons attitude.

We know it's Ramadan, but the topic is hardly being touted around inappropriately and October has always been awareness month.

People will whine next about Liz Hurley wanting to turn the Taj Mahal pink for next years campaign.

As far as I'm concerned the more people that talk about it and raise their awareness the better.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oct 14, 2005
I know... that is a sign of a total pervert cause his mind is directed towards something that we are not even talking about!
...simply pretending to be 'religious'

In bur Juman & other places a mini video is being shown on how to examine yourself for breast cancer.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 16, 2005
I pray for "Safe and Sound" boobies for every lady out there !!
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat