Snow Centre

Topic locked
Snow centre Jun 05, 2006
Who has been to the snow centre thing in Dubai? Is it any good?

ajb
Dubai chat master

Re: Snow centre Jun 05, 2006
ajb wrote:Who has been to the snow centre thing in Dubai? Is it any good?

Chocs has - I remember her talking about snowboarding only a few weeks ago - you could try using the search function!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 05, 2006
cheers Z!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
ajb wrote:cheers Z!

No problem!
I hear its blooming cold in there!! When I was in Dubai last month I watched people skiing from a safe distance, and behind the glass in the mall!!
Definately going to give it a go next time I'm in town though!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 05, 2006
yeah looks awesome .... we have a small one here in Auckland but nothing that grand .... will feel odd bringing my snowboard to Dubai .. lol
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 05, 2006
They have a website and it is fun. My kids liked it but it was cold and you need gloves, wooly tights-only joking, socks (being from NZ u should have lots of them) scarf and warm top. They provide most things but there are health and safety issues with socks and gloves.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 05, 2006
GAB wrote:They have a website and it is fun. My kids liked it but it was cold and you need gloves, wooly tights-only joking, socks (being from NZ u should have lots of them) scarf and warm top. They provide most things but there are health and safety issues with socks and gloves.

Gabs: Really stupid question, but where can you buy gloves from in Dubai?? I mean, they are hardly an everyday item!!

[Enter EJ, claiming her maid can get them in Karama!!]
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 05, 2006
My kids have.

Great fun for beginners, my my little one took his own blades, he said it was crap compared to the real thing.

Of course being Dubai like in driving there is no skier's ettiquette, ie the shier in front has priority.

People forget skiing is dangerous, for those that think they can just bung ski's on and off you go. We are talking broken legs, ankles, twisted knees, broken/displaced hips, broken arms, broken/dislocated shoulders etc etc etc.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:People forget skiing is dangerous, for those that think they can just bung ski's on and off you go. We are talking broken legs, ankles, twisted knees, broken/displaced hips, broken arms, broken/dislocated shoulders etc etc etc.

I'll stick to golf me thinks!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 05, 2006
what happens if any of the "local lads" fall while skiing.... how will they ever find them?? :shock:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 05, 2006
The standard of safety there is disgraceful.
arniegang

Jun 05, 2006
arniegang wrote:People forget skiing is dangerous, for those that think they can just bung ski's on and off you go. We are talking broken legs, ankles, twisted knees, broken/displaced hips, broken arms, broken/dislocated shoulders etc etc etc.

Ya mon. Remember Cher's ex-husdand? Still dead.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2006
I'm having a really good time learning snowboarding. However I find that there's too much traffic on the slope all at once and it's hard if you're a learner as I know people expect you to get out the way, but hey I'm a learner and bloody can't!

Came a cropper last week, guys on the ski lift were laughing hysterically as I wiped out in spectacular style and ended up in a crumpled heap.

Started going to the very top now as it's quieter up there although 3 of us fell of the chair lift in a pile which was so funny.

It's good fun but very difficult with people of varying standards all on at once.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 05, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I'm having a really good time learning snowboarding. However I find that there's too much traffic on the slope all at once and it's hard if you're a learner as I know people expect you to get out the way, but hey I'm a learner and bloody can't!Came a cropper last week, guys on the ski lift were laughing hysterically as I wiped out in spectacular style and ended up in a crumpled heap.

Started going to the very top now as it's quieter up there although 3 of us fell of the chair lift in a pile which was so funny.

It's good fun but very difficult with people of varying standards all on at once.

My case rests. no skier ettiquette whatsoever. The onus is on the approaching skier to give way to the person in front, there is no exception to this rule.
arniegang

Jun 05, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:I'm having a really good time learning snowboarding. However I find that there's too much traffic on the slope all at once and it's hard if you're a learner as I know people expect you to get out the way, but hey I'm a learner and bloody can't!

Came a cropper last week, guys on the ski lift were laughing hysterically as I wiped out in spectacular style and ended up in a crumpled heap.

Wish I'd have been there to see all that!! :lol:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 06, 2006
arniegang wrote:My kids have.

Great fun for beginners, my my little one took his own blades, he said it was crap compared to the real thing.

Of course being Dubai like in driving there is no skier's ettiquette, ie the shier in front has priority.

People forget skiing is dangerous, for those that think they can just bung ski's on and off you go. We are talking broken legs, ankles, twisted knees, broken/displaced hips, broken arms, broken/dislocated shoulders etc etc etc.

Actually I've done the whole broken/dislocated shoulder thing and its not much fun!!
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 06, 2006
arniegang wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:I'm having a really good time learning snowboarding. However I find that there's too much traffic on the slope all at once and it's hard if you're a learner as I know people expect you to get out the way, but hey I'm a learner and bloody can't!Came a cropper last week, guys on the ski lift were laughing hysterically as I wiped out in spectacular style and ended up in a crumpled heap.

My case rests. no skier ettiquette whatsoever. The onus is on the approaching skier to give way to the person in front, there is no exception to this rule.

Arnie, I know I know, but I do my best and am getting pretty good at the avoidance thing.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 06, 2006
But you shouldnt have to Chocs. Just be careful plzzzzz
arniegang

Jun 06, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
GAB wrote:They have a website and it is fun. My kids liked it but it was cold and you need gloves, wooly tights-only joking, socks (being from NZ u should have lots of them) scarf and warm top. They provide most things but there are health and safety issues with socks and gloves.

Gabs: Really stupid question, but where can you buy gloves from in Dubai?? I mean, they are hardly an everyday item!!

[Enter EJ, claiming her maid can get them in Karama!!]

Stupid answer would be from the ski shop next to Ski Dubai luvee!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 06, 2006
i just wanna try that big ski lift, i wanna go around and around it seems so cool.

even though the thought of me as a skier is frightening (cause i might kill someone) but i would love to try it someday.
Moester
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 06, 2006
or really stupidly from the Columbia Outdoor sportswear shop in Battuta Mall

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

Jun 06, 2006
arniegang wrote:or really stupidly from the Columbia Outdoor sportswear shop in Battuta Mall

Ok ok - consider myself told!! Just didn't think there would be much call for it in Dubai!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 06, 2006
the_zooter wrote:
arniegang wrote:or really stupidly from the Columbia Outdoor sportswear shop in Battuta Mall

Ok ok - consider myself told!! Just didn't think there would be much call for it in Dubai!!

Actually there is more winter stuff on sale here (when it is winter in the Uk) than you can poke a stick at. Also places like Ace hardware sell those patio heaters................I could understand the fake log fire in Home centre but something that radiates heat!! :shock: It reminds me of school pick up a few months back where mums had on their winter woolies and boots-just 'cos you bought it doesn't mean you have to wear it.

And Mall of the Emirates has Columbia and the other one that sells that same gear next to each other.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 06, 2006
GAB wrote:Actually there is more winter stuff on sale here (when it is winter in the Uk) than you can poke a stick at. Also places like Ace hardware sell those patio heaters................I could understand the fake log fire in Home centre but something that radiates heat!! :shock: It reminds me of school pick up a few months back where mums had on their winter woolies and boots-just 'cos you bought it doesn't mean you have to wear it.

Patio Heaters?? Like the atmosphere in Dubai isn't bad enough and hot enough, lets make it worse by unleashing Patio Heaters to the masses!!
Don't tell me - they put the heaters on, then go and stand inside in the A/C??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 06, 2006
That is why it is so hot here. It has nothing to do with nature. They also pour gallons of pea soup into the ocean at this time of year just so the Brits will go home for two months.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 06, 2006
GAB wrote:That is why it is so hot here. It has nothing to do with nature. They also pour gallons of pea soup into the ocean at this time of year just so the Brits will go home for two months.

I wondered what they did with all that pea soup! A good idea really - it serves a dual purpose.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 06, 2006
ajb wrote: we have a small one here in Auckland but nothing that grand .... will feel odd bringing my snowboard to Dubai .. lol

I've been there too, you'll find Ski Dubai much bigger and steeper. About four times the size I'm guessing.

If you're a competent skier or snowboarder, you'll get bored soon enough but it's good fun for an hour or two every now and then. The black run is not bad if you go flat out (but will only take you a few seconds of course).

And I think it's a great place to learn since you only go for an hour or two, then take a few days off to rest those aching muscles. I've been with beginners on ski trips and some of them would have enjoyed it a lot more if they'd had an opportunity to get more comfortable with the whole idea gradually at something like Ski Dubai.

Personally I've not found it to be too busy except Monday nights which are freestyle nights. I haven't been on Thu/Fri or Sat which may be busier. No waiting for chairlift.

I didn't think it was any more dangerous than anywhere else I've skied - seen plenty of lunatics everywhere in the world. I don't think the SZ road drivers go there.

You'll find it warm compared to skiing in a blizzard at Turoa.

Bring your snowboard anyway, good skiing nearby in Iran and Lebanon.

Can buy gloves at the shop there.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat