Mind Being Seen Fully Naked By A Stranger You Don't See???

Topic locked
Mind being seen fully naked by a stranger you don't see??? Mar 05, 2010
That’s not fair! Instead, these two women should’ve been offered a complete pat-down by a female security officer!! TJ

Muslim woman barred from flight after refusing body scan!

A Muslim woman is thought to have become the first passenger to be stopped from boarding a flight after refusing to go through a full body scanner for religious reasons.

Published: 11:07AM GMT 03 Mar 2010

Civil liberties campaigners have criticised the scanners as an invasion of privacy
The passenger was at Manchester Airport for a flight to Islamabad when she was selected at random to pass through the security screen.

She was warned she would not be allowed to board the Pakistan International Airlines flight if she did not comply with the request but she decided to forfeit her ticket.
Her female travelling companion also left the airport after she cited ''medical reasons'' for not wanting to go through the scanner.

More than 15,000 people have already passed through the £80,000 Rapiscan machine at the airport's Terminal 2. The Government introduced the scanner at Heathrow and Manchester airports last month.

Security staff use the X-ray machine to check for any concealed weapons or explosives but it has attracted criticism for also showing clear outlines of passengers' genitals. Civil liberties campaigners have criticised the scanners as an invasion of privacy.

Sources at Manchester Airport said the flight to Pakistan about two weeks ago was busy and that no other passengers objected when chosen to go through the full body scanner after check-in.

The female passenger who declined on medical grounds was said to be concerned because she had an infection.

It is understood the women may be the first passengers in the UK to be barred from taking a flight after refusing to submit to the scan. Heathrow Airport said it could not comment on individual cases.

A Manchester Airport spokeswoman said: ''Two female passengers who were booked to fly out of Terminal 2 refused to be scanned for medical and religious reasons.

''In accordance with the Government directive on scanners, they were not permitted to fly.

''Body scanning is a big change for customers who are selected under the new rules and we are aware that privacy concerns are on our customers' minds, which is why we have put strict procedures to reassure them that their privacy will be protected.''

Last month, Transport Secretary Lord Adonis stressed that an interim code of practice on the use of body scanners stipulated that passengers would not be selected ''on the basis of personal characteristics''.

He stressed that images captured by body scanners are immediately deleted after the passenger has gone through and that security staff are appropriately trained and supervised.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... -scan.html

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Mind being seen fully naked by a stranger you don't see??? Mar 06, 2010
As the Adam and Eve theory says, God made man and woman, and they were naked. So I guess at Manchester we're just going back to our roots. I say all must go to Manchester airport, to feel like the first ancestors must've felt. :lol:

Personally no I don't object to this scanner, cos the guys monitoring the machine must've seen tons of silhouettes, so there's no reason why I should feel vulnerable or exploited.
What I don't get is, considering that most terror attacks are Pakistan outbound should'nt we have this scanner monitoring passengers at the Islamabad airport ?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Mind being seen fully naked by a stranger you don't see??? Mar 06, 2010
Misery Called Life wrote:As the Adam and Eve theory says, God made man and woman, and they were naked. So I guess at Manchester we're just going back to our roots. I say all must go to Manchester airport, to feel like the first ancestors must've felt. :lol:

Personally no I don't object to this scanner, cos the guys monitoring the machine must've seen tons of silhouettes, so there's no reason why I should feel vulnerable or exploited.
What I don't get is, considering that most terror attacks are Pakistan outbound should'nt we have this scanner monitoring passengers at the Islamabad airport ?

Nice seeing you back MCL. Maybe you can rouse up this dead joint!! :) :)

The image produced by the scanner is more than a silhouette or an outline!!

I understand the published pictures are censored, in order not to show details of the private parts!!

I myself don't mind it that much, but I do strongly feel that people who object to it (for religious, moral or medical reasons) should be offered a pat down instead.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Mind being seen fully naked by a stranger you don't see??? Mar 08, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:As the Adam and Eve theory says, God made man and woman, and they were naked. So I guess at Manchester we're just going back to our roots. I say all must go to Manchester airport, to feel like the first ancestors must've felt. :lol:

I understand the published pictures are censored, in order not to show details of the private parts!!

I myself don't mind it that much, but I do strongly feel that people who object to it (for religious, moral or medical reasons) should be offered a pat down instead.

8) 8)

I disagree Jones. If we go by your logic they will ALL claim that and it will defeat the purpose of these body scans.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

K-Dog wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:

8) 8)

I disagree Jones. If we go by your logic they will ALL claim that and it will defeat the purpose of these body scans.

I disagree!!!

Why can’t we respect people’s privacy and legitimate concerns without compromising the level of security achieved by the full body scan?

The full body scan can only detect items on the body, but cannot detect items hidden in bodily orifices or concealed by folds of skin on an obese suspect.

The pat down would accomplish the same thing, and may even be better.

Most people, waiting in a long security line, would opt for the quicker full body scan rather having to go thru a slower, more physically invasive (due to touching) pat down.

But what’s next??

Since the terrorist can no longer hide his material in his underwear, due to the full scan or the pat down, he might conceal his substance in his rectum, which would not be detected by the scan or the pat down.

If that happens......

The next step would be: body cavity searches for everyone?? :oops: :oops:

Where does it end???

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

As we all know a "pat down" didn't work in December on US bound flight from Amsterdam. Had he gone through a body scanner the explosive in his pants would have been detected immediately.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

arniegang wrote:As we all know a "pat down" didn't work in December on US bound flight from Amsterdam. Had he gone through a body scanner the explosive in his pants would have been detected immediately.

At that time, the security was a bit laxed, and the pat down, if it had occurred, was probably minimal, …just running the hands up and down without touching the underwear. But now I’m sure the procedures would be different, i.e., any stuff hidden in the underwear would be found.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Mind being seen fully naked by a stranger you don't see??? Mar 09, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:

8) 8)

don't know much bout gettin a party started, but gotta disagree with you on the religion logic. Before long everyone will be throwing up excuses. And unless they find a better way scan passengers guess we'll just have to make do with this scanner.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat