Bicycle Boat ! Business

Topic locked
Bicycle boat ! business Feb 18, 2006
Bicycle boat ! business
They say the best way to explain anything is to start at the beginning. So I will start by showing you a letter I sent to the United Arab Emirate Ministry of Information & Culture which explains what inspires me to turn a hobby into a business and argues that the palms is the best place to start the business because it has a natural niche there like camels in a desert.
By the end of the letter (2 minute read) you will know what a waterbike looks like
And have a outline plan of how I will try to commercial the waterbike into a upscale or downscaled successful business and the main skills and knowledge I have to do it with.
The final section after the letter explains the contacts that I have already identified and those that I propose to contact and why.

What I don’t have is local knowledge and that is what I am searching for and the reason why I am explaining and posting my plans to the Dubia forum.

So here it is: my letter to the United Arab Emirate Ministry of Information & Culture:

My reference: Watercycling The Palm Islands

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am inspired by the resent television programme about the Princes vision for The Palm Islands to contact you.
Watching the grand vision of islands emerging from the sea captured my imagination of a place for relaxation, play, entertainment and fun adventure that as a water cyclist seems ideal for me.
As you can see from the picture of my waterbike below, it is an ordinary bicycle that you can pedal on water using attachments that all fit into a 13kg backpack and assembles in the 10 to15 minutes time it takes to inflate the floats by simply pedalling the bicycle.

(Picture of waterbike, If I was unable to post a picture of a waterbike below please
visit http://www.shuttlebike.it for a novel and interesting look see.)

The waterbike has crossed the English Channel and regularly comes in the first three of the World Human Powered Boat race Championships; which attracts University teams from around the world.

My hobby is all the fun things you can do with the waterbike like cycling in and around paradise islands and landing at some favourite Oasis.
When I saw The Palm Islands of Deira, Jabel Ali and Jumeirah and the world, I saw it as a natural home for the waterbike not just as a popular fun toy that most children and a lot of adults like to try, but as a practical keep fit mode of inter frond island transport and Ship to shore shuttle as well.
I would very much like to get involved in helping to introduce the waterbike to the Palm Islands and develop it as a popular, fun children and families activity that people of all cultures like.
Wherever the waterbike goes in England, its novelty attracts the attention of people’s phone cameras and so the children that ride it feels like the star of the show with a uniquely different experience that they can show their friends and guarantee they have never seen anything like it before.
I have used the waterbike for 5 years and found they have a flexible, effective, and relaxed efficiency as a fun toy, a therapy tool and fund raising advertisement. Which I want to develop, promote and exploit commercially.
As an amateur author I sometimes write about fun Watercycling adventures and publish them to the Internet. Please Google jack kybird and/or visit
http://www.coventryweb.co.uk/editorials ... onsor.html
for a story example.

I get a lot of fun, pleasure and happy feelings watching children explore the possibilities of the water bike for example.
Its fun watching children trying to get more people on the waterbike then the one person it was designed for. I have seen six with a lot of acrobatics and balance involved J
Racing the waterbikes and playing waterbike games like polo provide fun photo and film worthy activities that could be seen between the island fronds. Providing experiences that the water cyclist and spectators will want to show or talk about.
Providing talk about fun factors of experiences for people on holiday would promotes the islands and attracts other people to come as well.

I belief one of the islands will have or has a water sport centre where potentially waterbike races and waterbike polo games could take place. With the world Islands one could even have round the world races as well. I would like to extend the concept further by making some of the hired waterbikes look like camels, horses and other animals for the entertainment of those viewing them from shore or sea. It is very easy to make the waterbike look like almost anything. A galleon, Viking longboat or whatever.

The Two 8 foot floats on Hired waterbikes could display advertisements for restaurants, island attractions, radio stations, taxi companies, product brand names, local newspapers or Internet websites.
These are Effectively floating advertisements powered by people who hire the waterbike who pay to have fun doing it.
An ideal adventure island for the waterbike would be to have a network of interesting floating Theme islands that primarily children and young people would want to go to and explore For example: palm tree islands, lighthouse, castle, pagoda and treasure islands, the possibilities are endless.

The Princes vision engineered and constructing into reality seemed to me to offer a place for dreams, community, homes and estates and seems to me to be a very creative place to be.

Whatever, I hope you can see the mutual benefit and the natural niche the waterbike concept might have in The Palms.
I could try and start a sales/hire/promotion business in the palms or work for an already established palm island company and hope as the palm development company I can obtain your support in making contact with interested parties.
What I am looking for are Palm island contact addresses to local media and potential waterbike float advertisers and knowledge of where the best Palm places to hire waterbikes for fun and transport are?
For example: there may be places where people just want to cross from one palm frond to another and leave the waterbike their for someone who wants to go to the opposite frond.
I also need to obtain maps of the palms.
At the moment I do not know what laws and regulations I need to know in relation to starting a business or taking up potential palm employment offers. As you can see I am still in the early stages of researching my Watercycling business plan.

May I thank you for your time and consideration and hope you can be of assistance.
In any event may I wish yourselves and The Palms continued success and leave you with a brief review of other skills which I could bring to the palms.

For example: I have A Bachelor of science Honours Degree from the Open University. My degree is mainly in Cognitive psychology and involves memory, perception and problem solving. This knowledge can be used for, behaviour modification and general life problem solving; usually by helping people to define or redefine their problem space (business or life crisis), re-evaluating past conclusions by highlighting and challenging past assumptions and reconciling past and present feelings with present and future expectations. This process often gives rise to new aspirations and achievable objectives.
What I can offer is a methodical and analytical approach that produces the information that the client can use to find the most appropriate resolution to their own problems.

I am also a refrigeration mechanic with self employment experience and have a city and guilds 207 qualification in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning gained in 1977 at The royal school of military engineering, passing both parts (practice and theory) with distinction.
My practical experience of refrigeration has been in the repair and installation of domestic and light commercial equipment like cellar coolers, cold rooms and freezers.
My experience of self employment has given me first hand insight into business problems and combined with the methodical and analytical approach that my science degree and engineer training have given me; could enable me to offer a life and business problem consultancy service.

Yours faithfully

Mr. Jack C Kybird BSc (Hons) ADV Dip Ed Open)
Aspiring professional water cyclist, delivering family fun and happiness trough sales, hire and promotions

References
Manufacturers Reference of waterbike that I use is: SBK Engineering, Shuttle-Bike Kit 27029 Vigevano (PV) Italy- Via Pioppi 22/7
Tell 0381/20140-20003
For manufacturers website Google Shuttle Bike Kit
End of letter to Ministry of Information & Culture

My thanks and acknowledgements to

Consulate of the United Arab Emirates In The UK.
The palms development company Al Nakheel Properties Executive Chairman Mr Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem.
www.uaeinteract.com United Arab Emirate Ministry of Information & Culture
http://realestate.theemiratesnetwork.com about the palms with films and pictures
http://www.dubaiforums.com/ grassroots information on all things Dubai
http://www.shuttlebike.it/ Italian manufacturer of the brilliantly designed and engineered waterbike.
http://www.dubaided.gov.ae/main/gn/Doin ... ngBusiness Laws, rules and regulations, A to Z in the Dubai chamber of commerce website.

The final section of the post explains the contacts that I have already identified and those that I propose to contact and why. And hopefully I have highlighted what I would like or need to know but don’t.

I have posted more about my Watercycling hobby under the tread title Hobby Water cyclist in the Dubai General Chat section
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=32187#32187
and hope to get feedback sightings from forum eyeballers if the waterbike is already used in the palms. If there are I perhaps would be better considering a little waterbike hire place in the lake district of England and tap into the children’s activity and adventure centre instead.

Since the letter I have picked up a lot more contact information and Propose future contact with the following:

Hotels in The Palm Jumeirah will contain over 25 of the top international hotel brands. including Movenpick, Antara, Fairmont, Radisson SAS, Hilton, Metropolitan, Shangri La, One and Only Royal Mirage, Starwood, Marriott, Oberoi, Chedi, Taj and Dusit Ref: Watercycling The Palm Islands, selling to, hiring from or float advertisement.
Note not yet found out the names of the hotel managers.
The Jebel Ali Palm six marinas, a 'Sea Village', a water theme park and water homes built on stilts between the fronds and the crescent. Ref: Watercycling The Palm Islands selling to, hiring from or float advertisement.
Note: I have not yet identified contactable addresses.
AMUSEMENT AND WATER PARKS

Aqua Park-Dreamland, Umm al-Qaiwain (06 7681888 www.dreamlanduae.com ) is one of the largest water parks in the world. High-speed water rides are set amongst extensive grassy areas. It also features a go-kart track, and an amusement centre, numerous food stalls and restaurants. The park is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Fridays are for families only. Admission Dh30 for adults, children Dh20, children under 6 years are free.

The Breakwater, Abu Dhabi is a man-made resort area that can be reached by a causeway off the Abu Dhabi Corniche, just below the Hilton Hotel. The Breakwater has a wide variety of amusement centres, green areas and restaurants. Can be extremely busy on holiday evenings.

Hili Fun City& Ice Rink, Al Ain (03 7845524 funcity@enirates.net.ae ) is one of the largest amusement and leisure parks in the Gulf, with over 200 rides and games. Open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekends and public holidays. Admission Dh10, Thursday and Friday Dh15, children under three years are free.

Wild Wadi Waterpark, Jumeirah Beach, Jumeirah Rd, Dubai (04 3484444/ 3990000 www.jumeirah-beach.com ), located next to the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, offers 24 interconnected gigantic water rides on a spectacular 12-acre site. It boasts the longest (32.6 metres!) and fastest (up to 80 km/hr) water ride of the Middle East. The park is diligently patrolled by lifeguards and has several food outlets.

Adults Dh95, children Dh75, family tickets are available. Opening hours are from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday to Friday.

Splashland Theme & Waterpark, in the centre of Dubai near Garhoud Bridge (04 3241222 www.godubai.com/wonderland ), is divided into three areas: Main Street, an air conditioned indoor family entertainment centre with lots of activities; a Theme Park; and Splashland which features nine water rides, and has three restaurants and a swimming pool. The entry fee (including Wonderland) adults Dh40, children Dh35.

Opening hours are weekdays from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday is Ladies day, closed on Sundays. Opening hours can vary according to the season so check before you go.

Khaleej Times online newspaper. Ref: Watercycling The Palm Islands. Ref free sales and hire publicity.
List of English Dubia on line newspapers

Gulf News www.gulfnews.com

Khaleej Times www.khaleejtimes.com

Gulf Business www.gulfbusiness.com

Gulf Today www.godubai.com/gulftoday

Al-Khaleej www.alkhaleej.co.ae

Al Bayan www.albayan.co.ae

Al Ittihad www.alittihad.co.ae

Emirates Evening Post www.emirateseveningpost.com

Seven Days www.7days.ae letters@7days.ae (letter to editor
Note: are there any other local media that I should contact

In terms of my emergency employment contingency plan I am considering contacting Trade Circle Technical Industries PO Box 5639, Dubai, UAE
And another company called Firstcool PO box 20339 Dubai http://www.firstcool.co.ae/ .
Note: Any recommended contacts to other refrigeration and air conditioning companies would be most welcome.

Yellow page directories are available for each emirate (see also www.emirates.net.ae ). These can be purchased at ETISALAT offices.
And As you can see I have registered with http://www.dubaiforums.com/ to try and get the information that fills in the gaps in my plans.
I have posted more about my Watercycling hobby under the tread title Hobby Watercyclist in the Dubai General Chat section
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=32187#32187
and hope to get feedback sightings from forum eyeballers if the waterbike is already used in the palms.

In terms of my emergency employment contingency plan I have posted my
C.V in the Dubai Employment section under the tread title. Refrigeration + BSc(Hons) http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=32193#32193

Laws, rules and regulations, A to Z in the Dubai chamber of commerce website.
http://www.dubaided.gov.ae/main/gn/Doin ... ngBusiness

As I understand it I will have to find a UAE company or subject to take up 51% of the proposed company.
I. Nationals of Other Countries
Nationals of other Arab or foreign countries may conduct economic activities through any of the following legal forms:
• Individual establishment: may be established to practice only professional activities, and subject to the appointment of a local services agent who must be a UAE national.
• limited liability company: may be established to carry on any commercial or industrial activity, including one or more UAE partners whose shareholding shall not be less than 51% of the paid-up capital.
• private shareholding company: may be established to carry on any commercial or industrial activity, including one or more UAE national partners whose shareholding shall not be less than 51% of the paid-up capital.
• civil business company: two or more persons may establish a civil business company to practice a profession, provided that a local services agent, who must be a UAE national is
• appointed or included as a partner.
• Public Shareholding Company: Board of Directors takes the decision of allowing non-UAE nationals to become shareholders.

High on my list of potential partners are those in UAE refrigeration industry and have identified. Trade Circle Technical Industries as a manufacturer of thermal insulation panels (used to construct Cold rooms). The company may be interested because the waterbike floats can be filled with the expanding foam the company uses to make the panels.
Ordinarily one of the most attractive features of the waterbike is its portability in fitting in a backpack because the floats can be deflated. However for waterbikes that are permanently on a home water location such as hire centres; filling them with foam is a more convenient option. Not only would my potential partner be able to provide a float foam filling service but it could take advantage of using the floats to advertise their Technical services as well.

Well that’s it. Where I am with my business plan to date. Where I come from, where I want to go and how I propose to get there with a little help from my friends .

If you would like to help or join me, feel free to make your proposals on how you can fit in the Watercycling business plan, expand on it or add value to it.

May I thank you for your interest in reading what hopefully is an interesting business post although a necessary long one.

I don’t often say a lot but when I do it’s a lot.

netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 18, 2006
I have to say i admire your idea and wish you every sucess with it.

All i can help you with is a little bit of knowledge i have picked up. I am no expert so please dont take my comments or observations as "gospel".

Firstly i happen to know well the man and company that is currently negotiating the contract for Dubai Marina for "water-taxis". There will also be a boat hire area in the middle of the Marina.

The problem you may face, is that a huge sum of 40 million Dhs is being asked to fund a deposit. Furthermore the contract negotiations are not with Dubai Municipality, it is with the land/owner developer ie Emaar.

For the Palm the developer is Nakheel. My personal opinion regarding your business idea around the "fonds" may not be a starter.

I would doubt that permission would be given to any operator of watersports to have a free reign to just peddle or boat around the palm. The reason i say this is for security and personal reasons. I would doubt the owners of 12 million Dhs villas would want some tourist peddling or boating past their "front door".

Sorry to make my views of a negative nature, i am just being realistic. However i repeat your idea, plan and determination are highly commendable and i wish you every sucess.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

[color=violet]feedback thanks[/color] Feb 21, 2006
feedback thanks
Arniegang

“I have to say i admire your idea and wish you every sucess with it.”
Thank you

All i can help you with is a little bit of knowledge i have picked up. I am no expert so please dont take my comments or observations as "gospel".

“I think The gospel according to the opinion of others is all that can be reasonable expected” tell it like you think it is, is one of my mottoes.

”Firstly i happen to know well the man and company that is currently negotiating the contract for Dubai Marina for "water-taxis". There will also be a boat hire area in the middle of the Marina”. Water-taxis sounds like speed/motor boats.

The problem you may face, is that a huge sum of 40 million Dhs is being asked to fund a deposit. Furthermore the contract negotiations are not with Dubai Municipality, it is with the land/owner developer ie Emaar.” Thanks I will check out Emaar on the net. Dubai Marina developer ?
Sounds like the developer has a very high estimate of the demand for taxi . I know that having a fast food van at festivals can cost thousands of pounds for permission to pitch up a few days and they still make loads of money out of the number of hotdogs they sell.
Whatever, it sounds like one could lose a lot of money if demand estimates turn out so low that no one could possible make a profit running an apparently gold mine service.
Thanks for Emaar I will check em out on the net.

For the Palm the developer is Nakheel. My personal opinion regarding your business idea around the "fonds" may not be a starter “.I have imagined some frond beach with lots of people on the beech , swimming, wind sailing and the like as well as passing boat traffic. I think this is probably one of my hardest problems of finding the right fronds for tourist hire. At some stage I will need to check out the ground myself and try to find out when the fronds are quite or bizzy.

”I would doubt that permission would be given to any operator of watersports to have a free reign to just peddle or boat around the palm. The reason i say this is for security and personal reasons. I would doubt the owners of 12 million Dhs villas would want some tourist peddling or boating past their "front door".”waterbike with www.dubaiforums.com/ on the waterbikes 8 foot floats.
Maybe not , but I think if they have children they will want to buy a water bike for them if not for themselves.
Whatever I guess there are places more suited to tourist hire, then sales to resident nationals and non nationals.

Sorry to make my views of a negative nature, i am just being realistic. However i repeat your idea, plan and determination are highly commendable and i wish you every sucess.
“Please, I appreciate and thank you for your time and consideration. I like your realism and do not consider your feedback negative”. Negative is when someone does not tell you what they think the pitfalls might be. Mine was a very long post and I appreciate by your comments you took the time to read it. Thank you.”
By the way the fronds are not shark invested waters are they ? :lol:

I checked out the Jumeirah Beach Hotel which has a private beech and I assume if the hotel wanted to provide waterbikes for the entertainment of their guest they could use them on the water opposing their beeches as part of their hotel business licence. I use it as an example because they may be many hotels like that.

The person with the Dubai Marina contract or sub contract to hire pedal boats would ( I think) do very well hiring the water bike From my experience when the waterbike goes head to head with other pedal boats for hire, The customer cues are always behind the waterbike.

The scariest problem I have come across so far are the catalogue of requirements, forms and fees information in the Dubai chamber of commerce website. It looks pretty off putting to me. http://www.dubaided.gov.ae/main/gn/Doin ... ngBusiness

I have a sketchy (a bit crazy) plan that might avoid all forms

Its simple really
I do what I am already doing introducing people to the merits and fun of the waterbike.
If at any stage anyone decides to buy one they only need to place an order with the manufacturer in Italy and send me 10% of the purchase price as a commission for introducing the waterbike and giving them the manufacturers contact.

I think you would be giving your marina company contact a very hot Tip by adding another pedal boat to his/her for hire list and one that would greatly increase hire income.
In addition local people will see it and a lot of them will want one. Apparently there are 250-300 islands in the world palm islands I doubt that there will be many who will not want to buy at least one as a water party and family toy.

I kid you not, if you have children between 8-12 you will find that they and there friends will love it and whats more, it’s a fun toy that lasts year in year out .
If you’re a grandparent get one and watch em have fun on it.
If your still looking for the love of your life the waterbike attracts the attention of both genders, young and old. Naturally people will come and ask you about it.
In a way everybody has an interesting story about how they came across the waterbike or how the waterbike came across them.
In a nutshell the waterbike is a great ice breaker and even one is a good little money spinner.

I think people would perhaps be surprised how pleased people in million dollar + homes would be to see their kids making some tourist hire money with their waterbikes and the kids get the satisfaction of making their own money. I think parents would be happy to see how it builds up their confidence and communication skills.
I think waterbike hire would be a good Dubai school business project, run and managed by the children; where they can try out, practice and apply what they learn in other class subjects. So I guess I will be making tracks in the direction .

can you imagine yourself on the beach surrounded by hot babes attracted by the stylish magnetism of the waterbike with wwwdubiaforums check it out sign on the waterbikes 8 foot floats. Every happy snappy and phone camera taken of the waterbike will have your website address on it. (1x 8 foot standard banner PVC sign)

come on you know it makes sence
buy Two today.
:wink:
netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 21, 2006
Sorry not enought time to answer in full i will just post some obsevations.

The contract for the water taxis is coupled with the same contract for the "boat hire" in the Marina

You must remember the marina is what it is "a marina". There will be no place for water bikes on grounds of safety. You can appreciate large cruisers, speedboat and slow motor boats would not mix well with peddle boat on safety grounds.

All the fonds and breakwater are private residences. Only the hotels and apparments will be on the trunk and golden mile.

The demand for water taxis in the marina will be huge, the whole complex not including Jumeira Beach Residence is for 100,00 people. JBR is around a further 3000 appartments.

Jumeira beach hotel severely restrics the area available for swiming and leisure. The is a large "no go zone" around the Burj. The area used there for sailcraft is the very small marina, the other side of the breakwater. There are many others along Jumeira you can contact though

Emaar own all the land rights within the marina and JBR. Nakheel is the palm.

My personal opinion due to the quality of all the residences and of all the projects as a whole is they would not wish to see loads of these sort of things hovering around. You must remember Dubai is 5* per se', it is not Benidorm or Majorca.

The deposit of 40 million AED is to ensure security of the contract and as a "holding deposit" to ensure compliance and business security and / or disputes. The concept of business deposit money is quite common in Dubai.

Just hope i have given you more to consider, but again the best of luck in your venture, and i hope you succeed.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Example Press release, 100 word limit summary for online new Feb 22, 2006
Example Press release, 100 word limit summary for online newspapers .

Watercycling The palm, business, leisure, transport and education

Greetings
I am an English watercyclist wanting to introduce the concept of Watercycling to The Palms. A picture speaks a thousand words so please see pictures of the water bicycle that I use at http://www.shuttlebike.it
I was inspired by a television programme about The Princes vision for The palm to make an ongoing outline business plan for its introduction at Dubai business discussions
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=32191#32191

It shows a process of Open business research with something it for everyone and highlights the natural niche and benefits of Watercycling for The palm.
The palms without waterbikes, like deserts without camels. Please Publicise
netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Arniegang criticisms addressed Feb 24, 2006
Arniegang criticisms addressed

Thanks arniegang for your further input.

You say that “in your personal opinion, due to the quality of all the residences and of all the projects as a whole is they would not wish to see loads of these sort of things hovering around. You must remember Dubai is 5* per se', it is not Benidorm or Majorca “

They the powers that be sounds like the waterbike would be one of those rare things upon which the people who make up the powers that be would agree on.

I think you are assuming that Dubai is or is intended to be an exclusive place for I assume very wealthy people mixed in with relatively poor villa owners and professionals companies from around the world who are attracted by Dubai's no-tax benefits.
The waterbikes is fun and novel and cuts across social, cultural and economic differences. Although admittedly they are predominantly purchased by people who already own boats costing somewhat more then some of the palm island villas for sale and the waterbike is by no means short of celebrity owners.

The waterbike has already a long and good safety record operating in lakes, waterways and marinas. At worst it bounces off any colliding watercraft and in any event it can turn on its own axis literally. Dubai may be different but the speed restrictions are usually slower then the speed of the waterbike (6 miles per hour)

To me you seem to raise a Quality versus quantity issue where in reality there is a multi faceted mix of people and the Benidorm or Majorca type may well be a majority waterbike hire and buy back home group of people.

The reasons I think is so, is that
Dubai is investing heavily in developing the reach of its airline, Emirates. The idea is to develop Dubai's air transportation ability so that passengers from any city can fly direct to Dubai.
Dubai International Airport (fortress hub for Emirates airlines) has a third terminal currently under construction and due to open in 2006. The new terminal will be dedicated to Emirates airlines and will fully support the Airbus A380. When completed this will double the capacity of the airport.

Tourism is also being promoted at a staggering rate with the construction of Dubailand and other projects that include the making of mammoth shopping malls, theme parks, resorts, stadiums and other various tourist attractions.

These points point to mass tourism to me.
Personally I am very sceptical about how popular such a place could possible be. From my reading it seems either to hot or to humid whenever one goes.

The property scene seems decidedly dodgy; I read that there are an increasing number of "freehold" villas and flats on artificial islands such as the Palm Islands. The "lease" on these freehold properties is for 99 years. It is, however, illegal to seek employment on this visa. Ownership of lease does not guarantee any form of legal residency status in the UAE. The Federal Government is still formulating laws pertaining to ownership of property and considering issuing residency status to those who own such property.
On a more positive note I read that
Nearly all of the commercial establishments are run by expatriates with a silent local partner who merely "rents" the business license for a negotiated annual fee without taking part in any capital investment. The numerous free trade zones allow for full expatriate ownership

I have to say its all coming across to me as an iffy place of dodgy maybees. I think I can detect some elephants in the room, which the timeshare and company folk perhaps don’t want to talk about.
I have not read anything that relates to the palms and rising sea levels how high can it go before the place is under water.
99-year leases may not be much long-term value if it’s under water in 30 years. I wonder what the insurance companies risk assessment is of having to pay out in that eventuality and how much such insurance costs.

I guess that there is a lot of company share trading going on. People trying to offload shares brought under probably pre 9/11 conditions and 7/7 in England just emphasis the problem.
If your friend is buying water taxies on the basis of projected tourists seemingly backed up by Hugh transport and construction investment may be in for a rude awakening when for the reasons I have given buyers and tourists don’t turn up.
Although I think there is a big enough market for waterbikes among the UAE national population regardless of weather the Palms take off or not.
netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Business security issues Feb 24, 2006
Business security issues
I noted the business security issues you raised but for me the most worrying is the possibility of being in an area (if not a target) for a nuclear explosion. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility for such an attack to be made by Iran on a grand scale suicide mission. Or in response to American action.
Nuke a city full of rich or professional westerners (the rest can be martyrs)
Or go for occupation Americans and company and the rest can also be martyrs without a choice.
Perhaps go for a double whammy and do both.

Given the current situation I feel obliged to stress that I am not glorifying terrorism and I do not advocate any body doing anything illegal.
According to the Boss (president Bush) the war on terror is a lifetime project and from what I have seen I tend to agree with him.
In my opinion bin laden might as well put his feet up and take it easy because president bush seems to be doing all his work for him.

In England the magna carter supposedly sacred has been flushed down the toilet and new laws making all UK citizens subject to American law and sent there on request.
If your unlucky from their, they will send you to some god-forsaken place to get your balls wired into a light bulb.

I score all this as big wins for bin laden in taking away our human rights and reducing us to slime ball behaviour. He could not have done a better job himself.

I don’t think fighting a war against terrorism can be won (by us) by becoming terrorist ourselves because no matter who wins terrorist remain and presumably if it is us we revert to our non terroristic behaviour rolling back all those restrictive laws supposedly for our protection against terrorists and revive those that were made to give us protection from human error abuses of the government of the day.

You may think I have moved outside the parameters of the tread of the Watercycle business and justify it on the grounds of the importance of global political considerations in relation to the location of any business and the palms do have a lot of possible associated local downsides.
netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

Conclusions so far, so good Feb 24, 2006
Conclusions so far, so good

Business it full of assessment of probabilities, ifs and maybes. Try as I might to dot the I and cross the ts a lot is left to arguable opinion leaving you with just gut feeling of yea or nea.

I started the waterbike business plan wanting to introduce and promote Watercycling in the palms along the way and I think in terms of the people I have contacted I have done that. In addition by referencing the contacts I have linked them together into an interesting story that in effect introduces and promotes everybody listed.
Anyone thinking of starting a business in Dubai can see the links to information that they will need as well. I figure so far so good.

I have received criticism for spamming although I do not consider it spamming to link associated treads together. Describing Watercycling as a hobby is I think a legitimate posting in the hobby section.
See http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=32187#32187 includes seasonal weather data for the region.

Considering Watercycling in terms of UAE traditions in that section is perfectly reasonable See
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5383

The posting under the romance section was done tongue in cheek, although it is an all singing all dancing love aid machine.
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5416 (posting now deleted)

From my point of view I consider what I have done so far successfulI and a milestone in itself.
Other milestones for me would be
Seeing a waterbike in the palms if only one. (Proof of life required)
Seeing waterbikes being hired in the palms. (Proof of life required)

One last thing I need to do is to repost the thread postings onto an independent media website that will appear on google under the key word Watercycling.
The last time I used it to make a story link to pictures of Coventry public houses
With the waterbike.
See http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/regions/ ... 82551.html

The facility is provided free to people who want to raise non-commercial social and environmental issues as well as human and animal rights. If I can do it, it will provide a permanent advertisement for all the links in this waterbike business discussion thread.

I will need to convince them that although in a way this is a commercial business posting I myself am not making money out of it yet. But hope to do so.
The waterbike itself I think is a novel eco friendly object that projects cycling, which is a keep fit health promotion issue. I have raise global security issues and made opinions that are shared by campaigners of all issues.
I think when I said this is a business plan with something in it for everybody I am right there is.
I am hovering very close to the limits of what I can using computers; so if anybody out there can repost on other websites with more keywords linked to google, the better that would be for everybody all round. I have been building and incorporating other peoples work and have no objection to others doing the same using what I have done.

I think it fair that we have not been in denial of potential problems and have addressed them towards possible solutions. Problems that don’t get recognised don’t get solved.

Acknowledgement
With love to lady Elena Podkoritova artist from Ekaterinburg who put up with me for 5 years.
http://rus-art.com/painters/podkorytova/default.htm
netfan
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Business TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Business Talk