Need Info And Help !!

Topic locked
Need info and help !! May 17, 2006
Hi,
Im new to this thing..I think you guys can help me with some of my questions about Dubai.
I'm moving there soon from Canada and would like to know approximately how much will it cost me a month. I need a car (average..peugeot or something) and an appartment (studio).

Tx

Val
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 17, 2006
These two topics have been and are currently being discussed at great lengths in other forums - see the accomodation and auto forum, where there's lots of information on costs.

Use the search function, then if you still need help, ask specific questions.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 17, 2006
There's a peugeot here but it has a small problem with dogs...

Studios AED 20k to 50k per year.
Peugeot what? Probably 10k to 80K to buy.

Like C said, you're better off with this.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 17, 2006
Ok. Accomodation and cars try the Gulf News, and Khaleej Times on-line classifieds. Also www.dubizzle.com. Look up the cost of living post I posted a while back-it gives prices of groceries etc-may prove helpful. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 17, 2006
tx alot for your replies..its fast..i like it!...
Is all the rent paid per year instead of per month there?..and cant i just rent a car instead of buying it..im negociating my contract now thats why i need to estimate how much do i need....
tx
Val
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 18, 2006
dbxsoul is best for info on this but I'll give it a go. Two cheques per year for rent and car rental will set you back about 1200 to 1500 AED per month for something small-petrol is inexpensive at around 6.25 to 6.75 per gallon (approx 4 litres). Deposits for everything like utilities can be a pain and something you may have not considered.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 18, 2006
Val wrote:Is all the rent paid per year instead of per month there?..and cant i just rent a car instead of buying it..im negociating my contract now thats why i need to estimate how much do i need....
tx

1. Depends on the type of accommodation.
2. Yes. Probably a good idea for the first few months anyway till you get used to driving here. If you crash, you get another car quicker and with much less hassle (unless you were drinking). 1200 dhs would be a cheap rental car (in every sense of the word). Allow at least 2000 for a decent one when negotiating your contract, then spend 1500.
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 18, 2006
i'd agree. for the first few months use a rental car until you are happy driving on the roads .. mmm comfortable may be a better word as i don't think anyone is ever happy driving on the roads here :) ....

there's an old joan armatrading song that goes "don't use your army to fight a loosing battle" pretty apt considering the driving!

rent prepayments are normally 2 or 3 post dated cheques (for the year) submitted to the landlord. in some instances if you finances allow you can haggle a little and give him a "one off" payment for the year for a slightly lower rental (although don't expect much of a discount, and the interest rate one the money is probably more than the saving!)

back to vehicles. when you do feel up to buying one of your own you can easily arrange finance through the banks. insurance for the year is in advance and payable on registration. the vehicle has to be re-registered every year (and again the insurance paid up front).

would also suggest that you budget for at least 2 proper full services per year as the environment is exceptionaly harsh on things mechanical. these will probably cost you about 1,000 - 1,200 unless there is a major repair (also depending on the model of vehicle).
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum