Lawn Is Dying Slowly

Topic locked
Lawn is dying slowly Sep 25, 2007
Never thought I would ever post such a question into a public forum, but here it goes.

We moved into our new home 3 weeks ago and do have a lovely garden which my wife will take care off. Easy peasy you would think.

The first problems were to get rid of the guy who usually took care of the garden for the previous owner. It took a while before he understood that his service is not needed anymore.

Fine, after watering the lawn every day after sunset it all goes downwards very fast now. The brown spots on the lawn are getting bigger by the day and at some points the dessert comes back. I would say, the grass simply dying in front of us.

Well, how difficult can it be to water a lawn, I never had that problem before ? Are there special rules to take care of in Dubai ? One nasty thought striked us, maybe the gardener was pissed off and helped a bit, but that would be crazy, wouldn't it ?

Anyway, if anyone has some guru experience (if that is what's needed) how to water a lawn in Dubai, your advice is appriciated :-)

Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 25, 2007
Easy answer.

You should have gotten rid of the wife instead of the gardener!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 25, 2007
Sounds like one of the desalination plants broke down. ha.
hcaleman
Dubai Forums Member

Sep 25, 2007
Concord wrote:Easy answer.

You should have gotten rid of the wife instead of the gardener!

...nope, I like it tight and gardeners pipe's too short.

You moron:-) thanks for your insight anyway :wink:
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 25, 2007
let it die, goto Carrefour and look at the range of "astro turf" available to order.

Its not cheap, but looks better than the real thing and requires only an occasional brush and vaccumn

Hope this helps
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 25, 2007
arniegang wrote:let it die, goto Carrefour and look at the range of "astro turf" available to order.

Its not cheap, but looks better than the real thing and requires only an occasional brush and vaccumn

Hope this helps

Thanks Arnie, but no, don't like that idea a bit :-)
Habibi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Lawn is dying slowly Sep 25, 2007
Habibi wrote:...your advice is appriciated :-)

Have you tried aerating? Because of the heat the water dries out before it can sink down to the level it is needed, top watering isn’t going to help. Also if you’re up or have a timer on your sprinkler try to water, but not over water in the morning before the sun rises and if you’re watering every day make sure not to over water, bad for your lawn and the environment.

Also depending on how brown your lawn has become all the above may be nullified.

Honestly what I would do is listen to Concs and get the gardner back, if only for 1 or 2 more sessions, find out what he did, from your post communication may be an issue but watch what he is doing and try to do the same.

Good luck,
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 26, 2007
Lawn ferilizer might help, also watering once per day probably not enough, ours is done 4 times per day. Is the water from a well? or tap water?.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sep 26, 2007
Brown patches are indicative of an insecticidal infection, most likely a moth or lawn grub type lawn infection.

Pick up some low grade pyrethrin based insecticide and treat your lawn. Note pyrethrin is fine and natural way to treat lawn infections. You can drink the stuff, although I would advise against it.
^ian^

Sep 26, 2007
I agree with Ian on this. It could be ants or termites as well. The best thing to do would be to use a low grade insecticide, also recommend the use fertilizers like bone meal to treat the soil.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 26, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:I agree with Ian on this. It could be ants or termites as well. The best thing to do would be to use a low grade insecticide, also recommend the use fertilizers like bone meal to treat the soil.

Use camel dung. Use 50 gallons of water for every 3.5 kilos of camel dung use hose to spray in the early moring and at dusk. It should work in about 10 days.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 26, 2007
Concord wrote:Use camel dung

Sounds like shit to me.
^ian^

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat