Does White Gold Turn Yellow?

Topic locked
Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 15, 2010
A ring was purchased in a Local Gold Est., after a month or so it is turning yellow, one shop says this is normal another says it is not.

I never heard of such a thing, what about you guys?, any thoughts?

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 15, 2010
sage & onion wrote:A ring was purchased in a Local Gold Est., after a month or so it is turning yellow, one shop says this is normal another says it is not.

I never heard of such a thing, what about you guys?, any thoughts?

White Gold never turns yellow, yellow gold never turns white either.......... I' m afraid you got scammed.
gertrude
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Does White Gold Turn Yellow? Oct 15, 2010
If it s platin, it s color is white and it wont change by time! ( to my knowledge)

if it s white gold, which consists of yellow gold and silver, it might change color because of the portion of gold and silver and their quality.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Here is your answer:

I asked my sister who once managed a jewelery store, and she said YES.

White gold is man-made. It's an alloy of several metals as Mel correctly pointed out. It is also coated with something (I forgot what Sis said it was). She said, sure, it has a tendency to turn yellow with time as the coating wears off from exposure to chemicals, detergents and even one's own body acids. But she said it can be cleaned and/or re-coated!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

I think TJ is on to something with regards to body "acids". The Mrs. and I have rings from the same establishment here. Her ring yellows after a few months, mine never has. Both of these rings are originally yellow gold, but then electro-plated with white gold. Essentially, I would guess this is what you have. They just need to be "re-dipped", our place does not charge us for this.

Our wedding rings are white gold, however they are made from this special alloy and will never yellow or tarnish.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Looks like it is 3 - 1 at the moment in favour of the discoloration and the explanations are better than the shops.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:Here is your answer:

White gold is man-made. It's an alloy of several metals as Mel correctly pointed out. It is also coated with something (I forgot what Sis said it was). She said, sure, it has a tendency to turn yellow with time as the coating wears off from exposure to chemicals, detergents and even one's own body acids. But she said it can be cleaned and/or re-coated!!!

8) 8)

Right on TJ, it is coated with Rodhium, a neighbor to Platinum.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jeez, everyone wants to be an engineer when Its SO obviously alchemy !!

You didn't happen to buy it from a Yemani chap wearing a big amulet by any chance ??

:lol:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

As long as it doesn't turn your skin greenish black!!!! :mrgreen:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

mate

Whatever anyone says white gold will never turn yellow and It is not plated with anything apart from a polish. However i'm affraid it could be white gold coated over a cheaper metal. The opposite goes for "gold plate" that also can wear off, especially when plated over cheap silver.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 16, 2010
Gets more interesting by the hour 4 - 2 for the discoloration.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Does White Gold Turn Yellow? Oct 16, 2010
Make that 4-3. Let me guess, it was the shop that you bought it from that said that it was normal.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Bora Bora wrote:As long as it doesn't turn your skin greenish black!!!! :mrgreen:

LOL only silver tarnishes and does that.

Some of my white gold rings turned slightly yellow, easy enough to get them redipped.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I have a friend who has an antique jewellery business and she tells me White Gold, strictly speaking isn’t white and the higher the carat rating of the White Gold the more yellow it will appear, almost all white gold jewellery is Rhodium plated to give it a shiny mirror like finish, the quality and thickness of the rhodium plating will determine how long it will last under normal wear and tear. Rhodium is at best 5 times the cost of gold and a difficult metal to work and some unscrupulous jewellers use less precious metals and alloys for plating purposes.

For the plating to show signs of wear after only a Month is unheard of, if the discolouration is appearing on the faces of the ring which are in contact with the skin, this would suggest an inferior plating, if the discolouration is noted over the entire ring surface, this would raise questions over the quality of the piece in general and recommends the ring is taken to a reputable jeweller where both the plating and the base metal can be chemically tested for authenticity.

Hope the above helps.
Dillon

Dillon wrote:I have a friend who has an antique jewellery business and she tells me White Gold, strictly speaking isn’t white and the higher the carat rating of the White Gold the more yellow it will appear, almost all white gold jewellery is Rhodium plated to give it a shiny mirror like finish, the quality and thickness of the rhodium plating will determine how long it will last under normal wear and tear. Rhodium is at best 5 times the cost of gold and a difficult metal to work and some unscrupulous jewellers use less precious metals and alloys for plating purposes.

For the plating to show signs of wear after only a Month is unheard of, if the discolouration is appearing on the faces of the ring which are in contact with the skin, this would suggest an inferior plating, if the discolouration is noted over the entire ring surface, this would raise questions over the quality of the piece in general and recommends the ring is taken to a reputable jeweller where both the plating and the base metal can be chemically tested for authenticity.

Hope the above helps.

Cannot disagree! That makes a lot of sense!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ask sis if the plating done to prevent tarnishing or to produce a reflective surface?
benwj

Tom Jones wrote:
Dillon wrote:I have a friend who has an antique jewellery business and she tells me White Gold, strictly speaking isn’t white and the higher the carat rating of the White Gold the more yellow it will appear, almost all white gold jewellery is Rhodium plated to give it a shiny mirror like finish, the quality and thickness of the rhodium plating will determine how long it will last under normal wear and tear. Rhodium is at best 5 times the cost of gold and a difficult metal to work and some unscrupulous jewellers use less precious metals and alloys for plating purposes.

Hope the above helps.

Cannot disagree! That makes a lot of sense!!!

Agreed, Thanks Dillon

8) 8)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

My first husband bought me a broad white gold wedding ring, very popular in the 1970's. When I sold it 20 years later, it was in exactly the same condition from when it was bought. I have a diamond solitaire, bought in Dubai, and the band has gone yellowish. I also have a white gold ring encircled with tiny diamonds. I have lost one of the diamonds. When I took it back to my local jewellers in England he had a look at it and didn't want to replace the diamond. He told me to take it back to where it was bought and see if they could replace it and also advised me not to wear it as there was another stone about to drop out. He said if I had no joy then to bring it back, but he obviously wasn't keen. Moral of the story, I reckon, is don't buy jewellery in Dubai, it is inferior. All that glitters is not gold.
Bethsmum

Re: Does White Gold Turn Yellow? Oct 17, 2010
benwj wrote:Ask sis if the plating done to prevent tarnishing or to produce a reflective surface?

I asked…. and she said that the rhodium plating is basically to give the white gold shine and luster. It has other benefits such as making the piece more scratch resistant...etc.

Another thing she also said, "I don’t recommend anyone buying a wedding ring in white gold. Even the best quality rings could turn yellowish with time, just from shampoos, skin creams, detergents and body acids.

Wedding rings usually last 2 years before developing a yellowish cast, but a necklace, that is worn occasionally, could remain white and shiny for many years (10-20).

When that happens depends of course on the quality of the jewelery and amount of exposure to chemicals and acids.

I can tell you...She sounds like she knows everything about jewerly!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 17, 2010
Thank you all for your replies, I am going to go along with the opinion that White Gold can turn yellowish depending on it's exposure to various harmfull elements. I am also of the opinion that the real deal, yellow gold, is the one to go for.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 17, 2010
sage & onion wrote:Thank you all for your replies, I am going to go along with the opinion that White Gold can turn yellowish depending on it's exposure to various harmfull elements. I am also of the opinion that the real deal, yellow gold, is the one to go for.

considered Platinum Sage ?
arniegang

Slightly off topic. What is mans obession with gold anyways? Its just another metal afterall. Would gold be still revered if it was found in great quantities.

Personally I never got this whole gold thing or have ever bought any. Infact I think it looks quite gawdy.
desertdudeshj

It's meant to be worn by women. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thats what I meant when I said it looks gawdy, even when worn by women.
On men it just looks cheesy or a pimp wannabe
desertdudeshj

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 18, 2010
arniegang wrote:
sage & onion wrote:Thank you all for your replies, I am going to go along with the opinion that White Gold can turn yellowish depending on it's exposure to various harmfull elements. I am also of the opinion that the real deal, yellow gold, is the one to go for.

considered Platinum Sage ?

It's not my decision m8
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Does White Gold turn Yellow? Oct 21, 2010
Tom Jones wrote:Here is your answer:

8) 8)

This is what I have been told as well. My 18k white gold ring that I wear every day - dishes, diapers and all, turns yellow every year or two and I get it polished and re-rhodium plated.

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/rho ... g_skvm.htm
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Does White Gold Turn Yellow? Oct 07, 2014
Where is that shop?

dubaidog ,
bmoin
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat