Working As A Lawyer In Dubai

Topic locked
Working as a Lawyer in Dubai Feb 07, 2013
Hey everyone,

By way of setting the scene, I obtained undergraduate and masters degrees in law from Oxford University, and now have a training contract offer with a Magic Circle firm. I was hoping for some advice regarding the option of an eventual move to the Middle East. My mother is from the region and I have dual nationality and have always had a desire to work there eventually.

I would welcome some information on any or all of the below points:
    How easy is it for an English trained lawyer to being practicing in the Middle East? How does this differ between solicitor and barrister?

What are the main differences (in terms of qualifications required, hours, pay etc), between working for a ‘local’ firm and working in the Middle Eastern office of a US/UK based firm? How does working in-house for a large company in the ME compare to this?

For all of the above, how does the salary differ in the Middle East from that which one could expect to earn in a top London firm? From what I understand the salaries are largely at top London levels, but with minimal/no income tax.

Based on my current position and aspirations, what would seem like the most sensible route to ultimately ending up with a good job in the Middle East? Should I continue as planned with my English Training Contract? If so, how long would then an optimal PQE period, before I should think about applying overseas (e.g. 3 years, 4 years)?

Is there anything I can do at this stage to increase my employability (e.g. learn Arabic, gain experience in particular sectors etc)?

What prospects can I realistically expect in the Middle East, given my training and academic background? I certainly do not see the Middle East as a ‘gravy train’, but would be reluctant to give up what I have on offer in the UK unless, generally speaking, there were solid prospects.

I am aware that this is a fairly diffuse set of questions, but I hope they at least give a sense of what I am hoping for and the queries that I have. As such, any further information that you think may be relevant would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher

CT077
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Working As A Lawyer In Dubai May 21, 2013
I think the pay and the qulaification depends on the region where you are working because in the most popular city you have a high pay even you also need high knowledge and experience to compete the other law firms.But normlay the pay depends on the qulaification and experience.
Allen27
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: Working As A Lawyer In Dubai May 26, 2013
It won't be that much difficult what you have been thinking but yes difficulties will be there as per language wise.

It is not per hour pay, monthly calculation is running all over UAE.

Salary here is also top level but the best benefit is no tax at all.

Yes if you gain the language knowledge will be handy for you. But while working as well you will get mastery in it.

Best of luck
Judij
BANNED

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai