Thoughts On This Job Offer

Topic locked
Thoughts on this job offer Dec 14, 2008
Does this sound a good offer?

Hi.

I’ve been offered a job in Dubai with a salary of 168,000 dhs per year. The offer comes with free accommodation in an area called the Greens, and I also get a company vehicle with some personal usage. The company is based at the Dubai Investment Park.

Other benefits include free flights home, health and life insurance and a company bonus scheme.

I have had this offer for two weeks now and still trying to make my mind up.

The offer seems pretty good to me, considering the free accommodation, which reading on this forum can be high.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Dwrgi
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 15, 2008
How big is your family and what nationality are you? If your a single guy, this is a good offer. The biggest expense in Dubai is housing and children's tuition.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 15, 2008
Hi dwrgi,

The attractiveness of the offer depends if it is in line with your years of experience, qualifications, etc.

The housing is a bonus, and I think you can add about 70k to your package (assuming the flat is a studio) in rent savings.

14K a month is a decent amount to live, party and save with, if you are single. If you have children, then it may be a squeeze. School fees here are quite steep.

Does your package include Dental and Medical? I cannot conclusively say, but would assume that personal coverage on those 2 fronts would set you back half a grand a month.
fakhdo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 15, 2008
K-dog and fakhdo.

Thanks for the replys.

I am single with no children, but do have a partner who will join me in Dubai a few weeks after I settle down. She will arrive on a visit visa before hopefully finding work in Dubai.

The job offer does include medical and some dental care. Other information on the job offer which I had yesterday are bills in the apartment paid for ( but not phone, telly and internet).

The flat they are now offering is in an are called J L T, which is slightly closer to work.

Roughly how much would you spend per month on living expenses (i.e food, telly, phone etc).

Your thoughts are most appreciated, and any other information you could provide would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Dwrgi
Dwrgi
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 16, 2008
the internet and tv can be as cheap as 300 dhs per month to 1000 per month, depending on the speed you want and what channels.

as far as food, for a couple we spend maybe 700-1000 for groceries.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 16, 2008
Dwrgi wrote:K-dog and fakhdo.

Thanks for the replys.

I am single with no children, but do have a partner who will join me in Dubai a few weeks after I settle down. She will arrive on a visit visa before hopefully finding work in Dubai.

The job offer does include medical and some dental care. Other information on the job offer which I had yesterday are bills in the apartment paid for ( but not phone, telly and internet).

The flat they are now offering is in an are called J L T, which is slightly closer to work.

Roughly how much would you spend per month on living expenses (i.e food, telly, phone etc).

Your thoughts are most appreciated, and any other information you could provide would be most welcomed.

Thanks

Dwrgi

Hey Dude. You still haven't mentioned what nationality you are. The reason being the salaries are different for different nationalities for the same position. And your food expenses depend on your nationalty also. The locals and Indian/Pakistani food is very cheap here. The Western products and especially the US products are more expensive. But roughly I'm spending about the same for a family of 4 what I used to spend in the States.
JLT is where I live. Its a huge construction site at the moment. The quality of construction is low and quite appalling. Having the apartment paid by the company is a huge benefit. It is actually becoming a rarity in Dubai, used to be very common up to 5 years ago from what I understand. So I say go for it. 14k tax free is not bad for disposable income.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 16, 2008
Thanks for all your information.

I'm from the UK, south Wales to be precise,

Thanks
Dwrgi
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 22, 2008
The ball's in your court... you're in the driver's seat and have to see what's better for you. If you already have a good job in the UK, I don't think that you should go for the offer unless the difference is really tangible. Just put all the pros and cons of your current and offered jobs on the table and compare and contrast. Living standards in UK are way better than they are in the UAE where you might be longing for things that you take for granted in the UK. Also keep in mind that relocation is not an easy thing to do for all. Anyhow, if you find the offer as 'great' as it sounds and suitable for you, there's no harm in giving it a shot. Best of luck ;-)
bhomes
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Working in DubaiForum Rules

Return to Working in Dubai