Los Angeles

Topic locked
Los Angeles Sep 04, 2006
guys i am in LA right now .. anyone wanna give me tips on things to do places to check out ...

please leave out the rodeo drive, hollywood, blah blah toursity stuff ..

MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Sep 04, 2006
Go to the Getty Museum.

Drive up to Santa Barbara along pacific highway thru Santa Monica.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Concord wrote:Drive up to Santa Barbara along pacific highway thru Santa Monica.

Just came back from a drive to Malibu thru Santa Monica and PCH .. awesome stuff !!! except the traffic was out of control at some points ..

thanks concord :-)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Santa Barbara is about 1 hour north. Beautiful town great view from the hills. Go midday so there will be no trafffic (although as you may know LA and Dubai have traffic jams in common).

Depending on how much time you have you may want to go to Hearst Castle which is in St. Simion (abut 4.5 hours from LA). This is the home of "Hearst" the publisher _Patty Hearst's grandfather - (the movie "Citizen Kane" is about him). The castle is set up on the hill and they have a vairety of tours. You book them thru the internet. The best way of doing it is to drive up the night before, stay at a hotel near there (there is no town - you park at the parking lot off PCF and then take a tour bus from there- only the buses are allowed on the property). So with your road map, any bestwestern, li quinta, etc. along the way will be a good place to stay ($89 bucks probably). Then head out to the castle early. The tours are separate (for different parts of the castle) you could do 2 or 3 of them (I forget how many there are) and then head back to LA. It should not be crowded as everyone is back to school (well, after tomorrow - Labor Day).

Enjoy your stay.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Well having spent 2 yrs in L.A., the only places I could've recommended are the ones you already listed.

Last time on MSN you told me you were staying in Glendale right? Pretty nice place too... You'll just want to stay away from Dowtown L.A. except if you want to check out the USC campus which is quite nice. Just don't get lost there at night or that might very well be the last time we hear from you :P
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 04, 2006
Nick81 wrote:Last time on MSN you told me you were staying in Glendale right? Pretty nice place too... You'll just want to stay away from Dowtown L.A. except if you want to check out the USC campus which is quite nice. Just don't get lost there at night or that might very well be the last time we hear from you :P

Actually i am staying in Westwood close to glendale, west hollywood .. its a pretty awesome location. I havent ventured to downtown yet but i plan on doing that during the day :-) i am very curious to check out compton (aka the CPT!!) hahah ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 04, 2006
Concord wrote:Santa Barbara is about 1 hour north. Beautiful town great view from the hills. Go midday so there will be no trafffic (although as you may know LA and Dubai have traffic jams in common).

Depending on how much time you have you may want to go to Hearst Castle which is in St. Simion (abut 4.5 hours from LA). This is the home of "Hearst" the publisher _Patty Hearst's grandfather - (the movie "Citizen Kane" is about him). The castle is set up on the hill and they have a vairety of tours. You book them thru the internet. The best way of doing it is to drive up the night before, stay at a hotel near there (there is no town - you park at the parking lot off PCF and then take a tour bus from there- only the buses are allowed on the property). So with your road map, any bestwestern, li quinta, etc. along the way will be a good place to stay ($89 bucks probably). Then head out to the castle early. The tours are separate (for different parts of the castle) you could do 2 or 3 of them (I forget how many there are) and then head back to LA. It should not be crowded as everyone is back to school (well, after tomorrow - Labor Day).

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the awesome suggestions .. this one and the Getty Musuem look very appealing .. i will try to check one or both and report back :D
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 10, 2006
Maaad, I quite like Redondo Beach when I'm over there, it's a lovely californian beach with normal people on it which don't have massive egos !!!

Its also got redondo pier which you must try lobster if while your there if you eat fish.

Its a nice quite place away from the madness of LA - my fav place in LA

Enjoy your trip if your still away
pezza27
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Travel AroundForum Rules

Return to Travel Around