Someone Must Show The World

Topic locked
Jun 17, 2006
You might find Dubai does have history. It was once a small fishing village and the history of the sheikhs and their agreements is actually quite fascinating... from being one of the TS to the one of the Emirates... How they all bonded. Perhaps Dubai does not have the history behind the rows of sky scrapers, but to claim it has no history at all is unfair. It is the same as the Brits as saying New York has no history, which is an unjustified statement. For something to have history it has to have exsisted for a period of time, so in time what we call the 'new dubai' will have the history you are talking about. Be proud to be a part of that.

How can buildings possibly be fake? Unless you are talking about the marketing and advertising that Dubai is placing across the globe? It is up to the individual to discover this city for what it is. If you sit back and let it absorb you, then you won't see it for what it is. If you read into it and do some discovering, you will actually find Dubai and the rest of the UAE a truly unique place. Surround yourself by true people and you will find your experience of Dubai will change.

As for the unfair treatment of the labourers, we are all guilty for exploiting this. Why pay 400 AED for those Nike trainers when the child who made them probably earnt 50 fils for his days work? This is the way the world works... You have to have poor to have rich and vice versa. If you feel the way they are being treated is so awful, why not run a petition and send it to the government or do something active about it. I think it's great that this issue is being raised but the accusations need to be justified. Have you spoken to any of the labourers and asked them how they feel and where they would rather be? I know I haven't but it is something I would love to find out.

At the end of the day, what I am saying is make the most of the situation you are in. Enjoy Dubai for what it really is and don't take the posy clubs and posh restaurants at face value for what Dubai is all about. We don't see London as just Big Ben or New York as just Times Square...

There are some truly wonderful people in Dubai from across the globe, it's just taking the time to seek them out. I know that I feel very priviliged to be able to explore all these cultures fro my doorstep, it may not be perfect but no City ever is.

Live the dream!!

sublime
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 17, 2006
There is no disguising the fact that the treatment of these thousands of labourers is appalling. Their pay is terrible, they work in difficult and dangerous conditions, toiling for long long hours under a blistering sun and live in cramped and basic accommodation. Saying "No-one forced them to come" is just a dodging the issue. Efforts should be made to improve their lot. After all these are the very people on whom the boom city is being built. To just say "They weren't forced into slavery" is to ignore the point that a modern, go-ahead state should be aiming to make conditions acceptable for people who live and work there and not just turn its back on the exploitation of those who don't have a voice. It is a backward nation indeed that just leaves such people to their lot and says: "It's not our concern."

The riots that we have seen on some of the building sites in Dubai this year are a clear indication that something is radically wrong. And it's time the issue was addressed.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 17, 2006
GoodBai wrote:There is no disguising the fact that the treatment of these thousands of labourers is appalling. Their pay is terrible, they work in difficult and dangerous conditions, toiling for long long hours under a blistering sun and live in cramped and basic accommodation. Saying "No-one forced them to come" is just a dodging the issue. Efforts should be made to improve their lot. After all these are the very people on whom the boom city is being built. To just say "They weren't forced into slavery" is to ignore the point that a modern, go-ahead state should be aiming to make conditions acceptable for people who live and work there and not just turn its back on the exploitation of those who don't have a voice. It is a backward nation indeed that just leaves such people to their lot and says: "It's not our concern."

The riots that we have seen on some of the building sites in Dubai this year are a clear indication that something is radically wrong. And it's time the issue was addressed.

You raise what is an issue to you, however you offer no solution to the situation, you do state something that is more than relevant to the issue "They weren't forced into slavery". And this is absolutely true, they were not forced, they came freely for an opportunity to better things for their families, and this is what they are doing.

The so called riots were obviously arranged by trouble makers, it is a fact that the Companies employing these people are the better ones in Dubai, reasonable accomodation, salries on time etc.

So tell us what will you do, how will you make it all right, however be carefull as to the cost and how it will affect you.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 17, 2006
Minimum wage.

Toughen up health and safety laws and institute proper rigorous checks to cut the number of deaths and injuries on the sites.

Allow the workers some form of representation like a trade union.

Prosecute employers who subject their workers to dangerous conditions.

Insist on a proper standard of accommodation.

That'll do for starters and I could go on. They seem like reasonable first steps to me that any modern nation wouldn't disagree with. I think what I'm saying is treat these people like humans beings instead of an expendable commodity.
GoodBai
Dubai Forums Talker

Jun 18, 2006
GoodBai wrote:Minimum wage.

Toughen up health and safety laws and institute proper rigorous checks to cut the number of deaths and injuries on the sites.

Allow the workers some form of representation like a trade union.

Prosecute employers who subject their workers to dangerous conditions.

Insist on a proper standard of accommodation.

That'll do for starters and I could go on. They seem like reasonable first steps to me that any modern nation wouldn't disagree with. I think what I'm saying is treat these people like humans beings instead of an expendable commodity.

These conditions stated by GoodBhai has been in effect since late 50s in most of the western countries...Dubai is still lagging in these issues.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 18, 2006
EDITED.

Reason: We don't need to hear your personal stories on this forum. Keep those for a PM. Also, please stick to the topic at hand.

Regards,

The Moderator
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 18, 2006
Actually I would never have called Dubai a fishing village, but it made it's income from pearl diving.

When people say 'fake' they're not talking about the physical structures of things but the atmosphere, there is nothing sincere or genuine. Many people here are fake in and shallow and aren't interested in making nice friends, but making as much money as they can then disappearing and that's the problem with a transcient population, people are here for the short term, so they don't really care about being nice to others.

That is changing however and many expats are making the UAE their home, and people forget there are now 2nd and 3rd generation children who were born here, maybe some people should remember that fact next time they people to like it or get out!

With regards to the workers, things are changing but not nearly as quickly enough. Yes it's true that they can earn more here than they would at home and at least have a job here, hiwever this is no excuse for the way they are treated.

Unions and protection societies need to be set up to make sure they get medical insurance, flights, decent accomodation etc.

But people shouldn't put their heads in the sand over these issues, if you see a person being taken advantage of, bloody say something.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 18, 2006
making as much money as they can then disappearing and what is wrong with doing this?
Dubai and the rest of the UAE a truly unique place .... all fake
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 18, 2006
[quote="sublime"]You might find Dubai does have history. It was once a small fishing village and the history of the sheikhs and their agreements is actually quite fascinating... from being one of the TS to the one of the Emirates... How they all bonded. Perhaps Dubai does not have the history behind the rows of sky scrapers, but to claim it has no history at all is unfair. It is the same as the Brits as saying New York has no history, which is an unjustified statement. For something to have history it has to have exsisted for a period of time, so in time what we call the 'new dubai' will have the history you are talking about. Be proud to be a part of that.

How can buildings possibly be fake?
quote]

When I say fake, I don't mean the architecture itself.
There's just no substance behind the facades and glitz and glamour. It has no depth. No history. No reason for being (except I suppose to make heaps of money). You see the surface and there is nothing left to see or talk about.

Go to a city like Vancouver or Seattle, or San Francisco or Cape Town, where the half the city's beauty lies not the architecture or culture or shopping, but rather how it has grown around the natural wonders and treasures (and I am sure Dubai has some of its own). Go to a place like the Netherlands where nature has become so managed, warped, changed and made to suit humans that one struggles to call anything in the Netherlands natural.

And why are there 309485098450984350984308235 malls in Dubai?
$G$
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 19, 2006
Yes, Dubai was famous for its pearling but believe it or not, it was a fishing village too! And since the 16th century, has attracted settlers from places such as India and Iran. In 1830 it was taken over by the Maktoum's who still rule today... Dubai was actually protected by Britain as part of the Trucial States (TS). And although it isn't officially protected any longer, it still has some protection. It's believed Dubai had this protection because the British found there oil and the deal was they would profit from the oil and protect the land in return.

The British withdrawal took place in 1971 and then this is when Dubai came together with Abu Dhabi, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Fujairah and, in 1972, Ras Al Khaimah to create the federation of the United Arab Emirates.

You see, there is a history. Just make the effort to explore it. That's what makes you different from the so called 'fakers'. I agree a lot of things here revolve around money, but there is not one big city in this world where it doesn't. If you could name me one, I'll retract that statement. If you want to be totally free of any fakeness, you'd be best of with a tribe in the Amazon rainforest.

I'm not saying Dubai is the most beautiful place in the world but it certainly has its charms. Something must have attracted you here, no?

So there is a facade of glitz and glamour. Why don't you go past that and seek out people who have a history in the UAE? If you hate all the fakeness, instead of going to the fairmont for dinner and drinks, roam the streets of Satwa for an Indian restaurant where you can watch them cook your meal in front of you and eat 12 dishes for 30 dirhams. Visit the souks. Explore the mountains and the Wadi's. Find a secluded beach. Take boat through the Gulf. Camp in the desert. Ride a camel. Are all these fake?

I still don't believe this City is all fake and has no history and unless you can prove to me otherwise, I'll consider your statement unjustified.
sublime
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 19, 2006
Many people here are fake, but is it not up to the genuine people to find other genuine people? To make lasting friendships? This scenario doesn't just apply to Dubai. Finding true friends, and I mean real friends not acquaintances, is never easy anywhere in the world.

I am, however, slightly confused. If people here don't like it (and I'm assuming a lot of you are expats, correct me if I'm wrong) then why are you here? There must be something or several things here that make you want to stay, right? What is it?
sublime
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 19, 2006
sublime wrote:Many people here are fake, but is it not up to the genuine people to find other genuine people? To make lasting friendships? This scenario doesn't just apply to Dubai. Finding true friends, and I mean real friends not acquaintances, is never easy anywhere in the world.

I am, however, slightly confused. If people here don't like it (and I'm assuming a lot of you are expats, correct me if I'm wrong) then why are you here? There must be something or several things here that make you want to stay, right? What is it?

I came here to explore Dubai. To see what it's like. I found fake beauty in the city (pointless malls, fake islands, architecture that has no history or charm) and natural beauty in the outskirts. Now don't tell me this is the same with any other city. Please visit Canada or even some parts of Europe and compare them to Dubai. Compare their beauty and tell me Dubai is not fake.
$G$
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 20, 2006
Don't get me wrong I love Dubai and really enjoy being here. My parents have been here 9 years, so for me it's family. Plus I've been able to progress further in my work here than I would have been able to in the UK believe it or not. Plus I don't like the UK anymore, the whole place has gone to the dogs it's awful.

Dubai has made incredible achievements and like any big city the world over it has it;s good and bad points. Things are changing however. As I've said before there are now 2nd and 3rd generation expats who were born and brought up here, the UAE is home to them, they don't know any other country and therefore some of the local attitudes need to change to consider this fact. Expats are contributing to the progression of the place, many are staying a lot longer, investing in homes here etc etc.

I like the fact that it's one big melting pot of nationalities and for the most part people get along very well with each other.

However I sometimes imagine Dubai as a city from the Mad MAx movies with big empty crumbling sky scrapers with people roaming around in search of fuel.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 02, 2006
Anything I've ever heard baout Dubai is positive. Infrustructure, education...Untill I got onto this site. I'm glad I have more view points. Maybe the people in dubai just have differant orientations? like making money for example.
That doesn't make it a 'bad' city does it?
Rose91
Dubai Forum User

Jul 02, 2006
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:i lived here all my life. maybe its because i love my country too much to see its downside. but still no one has the right to call dubai fake . no one has the right to say that to anyone's country.

i agree. when you come to country that is not your homeland, whether to work, live or just have a holiday, i think you must at least have some respect and tolerance like the country you came to has for you
iva
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 02, 2006
u r funy guys, specialy you US and european.

u came to live in our lands, earning money more than the locals, but u still complain.

u guys, if u like it take it, if u dont like it leave it.
Nobody forced anyone to come and beg in our country as you do.

For all this US or European.
check your old history how did u slave the natives, the black. your history is worse than any other history on this earth, stop complaining, appreciate the grace you r living in here, im sure u wont have it in ur home back at all.

enough is enough.

take it or leave.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Palestine
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 02, 2006
Palestine wrote:u came to live in our lands, earning money more than the locals, but u still complain.

that's true. i am european and i must say again. every man should have respect for the country he came to. that's at least someone has to have. respect for other cultures, other lifestyles, different people, especially when people are so friendly to foreigners. there are just too many people who don't even respect their own nation and don't know how to behave anywhere in the world :roll:
iva
Dubai Forum Guest

Jul 03, 2006
iva wrote:
Palestine wrote:u came to live in our lands, earning money more than the locals, but u still complain.

that's true. i am european and i must say again. every man should have respect for the country he came to. that's at least someone has to have. respect for other cultures, other lifestyles, different people, especially when people are so friendly to foreigners. there are just too many people who don't even respect their own nation and don't know how to behave anywhere in the world :roll:

Well, i dont have anythings against anyone.

but showing some descency and respect for the place where u set or cool or heat ur self, on daily basis i heard from this certain nationalities Indians, European they dont like the place, they dont like the government procedures, they dont like the weatherm they dont like the caps, they dont like anythings at all. then what the hell u r doing here?
move ur ass from here, give the space for some ppl in need for this work instead of u just moaning at the end u take ur save from this country going back home did nothing for the place where it warmed u and gave you good TANNinG for ur self and your girl friend. com on guys. thanking god for anythings will be rewarded at the end. can u do this ?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: .

this is the nice comment i like here.
they dont like the place, after 12 midnight they all gather drunk at any nightclub in town, but still not happy ....

I would say: A7aaaaaaaa..... translate khayi Liban :P [/b]
Palestine
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 03, 2006
Palestine wrote:

:lol:

Don't get me into this :P
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 03, 2006
Liban wrote:
Palestine wrote:

:lol:

Don't get me into this :P

A7eeeeh ... u got it along ya brother. but im not responsible for any things will come after this DILEMMA (A7AAA or A7EEEH )

Salut you Liban.

:)
Palestine
Dubai Forum Visitor

! Jul 07, 2006
Palestine wrote:u r funy guys, specialy you US and european.

u came to live in our lands, earning money more than the locals, but u still complain.

u r funny guy :roll:
If we earn more money than a local, then propably we deserve it.
It is always a question of supply and demand, no company pays a certain salary to be generous. If they pay a nice salary to someone, they probably have to because they need to fill the post with a person who is skilled and qualified for the job (--> pay peanuts -> get monkeys).
And yes, we have the right to complain about things that make us mad.
Some (only some!) Arabs and nationals don't understand that this country was built by the expats.
How would this country look like without expats? How would the economy look like?
You think all the expats are here because the UAE is such a generous country? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right about one thing... one should not only complain all the time, but rather draw the conclusions.... and that is what I am doing.
70 days to go and I will be leaving this country and as soon as I am in my home country there will be the biggest celebration you can imagine! :lol:
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 07, 2006
$G$ wrote:
d3vilish_ang3l_88 wrote:oh...so i can say anything about the US and its fine right ???
like they have the worst president ever..
most of the people are idiots. they dont know anything about the world.
the country sux.
people are mean, rude. inconsiderate and ungrateful ...

is that ok for someone to say.i think not.
i dont really mean these. but im saying that it not nice to say that.

maybe i still dont understand this sh*t yet.

You must be a 18. I'm 20. Wanna hook up? I'm American and I'll give you an American dollar!

plez respect ur self ,what if i told u that i wana hook up with ur mother ? is it ok for u ?
and thanx for showing us how idiot u r ,
and if she is 18 or 20 ,u showed us that u r 8 years old ,
and about the freedom of speach ,that dnt give u the right to say bad things about my country ,
if i said US is fake and bush is an idiot presedent and u ppl dnt know ur really parents and .and and and ...i will not finish,
by they way bush is an idiot presedent :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 07, 2006
IMJ wrote:
PrettyPenny wrote:There is no point in complaining and criticizing. If you are troubled by something make an effort to change it. Speaking up is of course great, but surely we can do something more? A petition perhaps? Rather than just leaving and saying its a horrible place to be, especially considering that all of us have probably benefited in some way from living in Dubai, perhaps we should find a way to give back.

do something more? what? give back how? take over the country and start "enduring freedom" mission like in Iraq?
u think that sheikhs here will care if foreigners are trying to change things here, why would they? we have a saying "do not go into someone else's temple with ur own rules". we are only visitors here.
and, it is not compaining; expressing.

i 2nd that
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: ! Jul 07, 2006
:o
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

naruto wrote:
bschmidt wrote:

It is always a question of supply and demand, no company pays a certain salary to be generous. If they pay a nice salary to someone, they probably have to because they need to fill the post with a person who is skilled and qualified for the job (--> pay peanuts -> get monkeys).

Some (only some!) Arabs and nationals don't understand that this country was built by the expats.
How would this country look like without expats? How would the economy look like?
You think all the expats are here because the UAE is such a generous country? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are right about one thing... one should not only complain all the time, but rather draw the conclusions.... and that is what I am doing.
70 days to go and I will be leaving this country and as soon as I am in my home country there will be the biggest celebration you can imagine! :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

naruto wrote:
naruto wrote:
bschmidt wrote:

u made me laugh until i couldnt see a thing, plz excuse my english cuz im typing and wiping the tears on my keyboard . :lol:
did u come here to get paid or to change or laws and rules .
u think this is US .
have u cheacked ur ticket befor u come here .
and here we go again ,EXPACT BUILT THIS COUNTRY we all know that since we have been living in tents .
u signed to work and get paid ,and im having big party today cuz som1 like u is leaving my country
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 07, 2006

u guys, if u like it take it, if u dont like it leave it.
Nobody forced anyone to come and beg in our country as you do.

For all this US or European.
check your old history how did u slave the natives, the black. your history is worse than any other history on this earth, stop complaining, appreciate the grace you r living in here, im sure u wont have it in ur home back at all.

enough is enough.

take it or leave.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

heheh they became like us the arabs (laa ye3jebhom el 3ajab wala elseyaam fee rajab ) liban translate plz :D
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

naruto wrote:
naruto wrote:
bschmidt wrote:

naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

What are you trying to tell us naruto with all the quotes? :lol:
Better go and ride your 4x4 :lol:
Your behaviour just shows how uncivilised you are.
I wasn't attacking you personally, but you are attacking me.
Didn't your parents teach you proper behaviour?

Have a good night.

BS
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

bschmidt wrote:What are you trying to tell us naruto with all the quotes? :lol:
Better go and ride your 4x4 :lol:
Your behaviour just shows how uncivilised you are.
I wasn't attacking you personally, but you are attacking me.
Didn't your parents teach you proper behaviour?

Have a good night.

BS

hehehe ride ur 4x4 hehehhe u r funny dude?
y u didnt understand me? ,i dnt know which softeware ur brain is using ,how uncivilised ?my ppl dnt go and get drunk and then get naked in da street ?
my parent taught me not to respect ppl who dnt respect my country

have a good day Mr and nice flight back to ur country :lol: :lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums