How Long Do You Wait!?

Topic locked
May 02, 2006
who was chosen for me because of other reasons, like how much money he makes, or his family connections etc.

I didn't mean these kind of arrange marriages, I don't consider these factors important to long-term commitment.

Nucleus, I don't mean to judge, and I was only pointing out that arranged marriage is idealised when really it has as many flaws as a love marriage. I never claimed that people don't cheat in both kinds of marriages. All I am saying is that it doesn't matter when the "commitment" comes in the relationship - because the commitment means nothing if the people don't really mean it and adhere to it.

In my opinion, lust and love is very important in a marriage. Some arranged marriages see lust and love develop, some don't. I can't imagine marrying and living together with someone I don't love and am not s.e.xually attracted to - who was chosen for me because of other reasons, like how much money he makes, or his family connections etc. I know that this is the norm in some cultures, but it wouldn't fly with me. Also, after I have seen some documentaries on human pair bonding I realise that lust and attraction definitely have their role in producing stronger humans with desirable characteristics. For example, there was one show that talked about smell. Male subjects sniffed t-shirts worn over a few nights by various women. The men had to say which t-shirt attracted them the most. (No perfumes etc. allowed for the females, only natural body smell). When they tested the immunities of the male and female subjects and looked at the t-shirts and corresponding women the men chose, the immunities complimented each other (meaning broad spectrum - each having some immunity that the other doesn't have). This means that if those two mated and produced a child, their child would receive the immunity from both parents and be healthier and stronger. With all of our senses and instincts humans know how to indentify a good mating match. Even if a pair bond doesn't work out in the end, it could be true that any children produced are strong and healthy, which is needed for propagation of the species. Essentially, nature doesn't seem to care about marriage - it only cares about strong offspring.

I can't gather what exactly you are trying to say. Arrange marriages have as many flaws as love marriages, but love marriages are better since lust is very important in love; is this you are trying to say?

By the way, I'm not arguing love, but I guess our definition of love is wee bit different.

Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 02, 2006
Why do women want to get married? Why marriage = security?

Nowadays, women don't need men to survive, we have our own job, earning our own money.

To me, I don't care about gettig married.1st I have a job, enough to support myself. 2nd I like to make my own decision and I don't like the 'husband' giving me advice. (Boyfreind is different, they can't interfering your life as much as the 'husband'). 3rd I personally don't think I will have any children, if I do want a child one day, I will choose to adopt one.

A lot of women in my country don't want to get marry so early or having children. Because of we are now better educated, having good jobs, lots of us don't want to give up our jobs and social life for starting a family.
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 02, 2006
It seems that some of you think that it is terribly deviant to actually s.e.x.ually lust after someone. I think that you can't fall in love with someone unless you lust after them at least a little bit. Afterall, you want to have s.e.x in your relationship, right? You can love a friend - but that is a different kind of love - platonic love. Some of you seem to think that only platonic love is pure, but I disagree.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 02, 2006
See FeiPO, that's the other thing, it's still the 'woman' that is expected to give up all her things and put her career on hold if she wants to start a family. Many companies go nuts if they find out one of their staff is pregnant, it seems women are still very much penalised for doing what it is we're naturally built to do.

Things are starting to change a little however I think there are a lot of stay at home dads these days in certain countries.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 02, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:See FeiPO, that's the other thing, it's still the 'woman' that is expected to give up all her things and put her career on hold if she wants to start a family. Many companies go nuts if they find out one of their staff is pregnant, it seems women are still very much penalised for doing what it is we're naturally built to do.

Things are starting to change a little however I think there are a lot of stay at home dads these days in certain countries.

Yes that's why I choose not to be what we meant to be... after so many decades, I think now is our turn to enjoy a bit of freedom and let the men stay home and do the job!!!!!
FeiPo
Dubai Expat Helper

May 03, 2006
as much as we like or dislike it men and women r not equal! that does not mean that men r better than us or we r better than them...we r just different! why all this effort to become more like a man instead of apreciateing our role and value?
yes, we can have same jobs or salary like them, same political rights, same social rights etc, but still i think we should not forget that we have a great gift from god: the ability to give birth and i think we should be more proud of this than of wearing a tye.
i think it's all about keeping it in balance: job/career and family, to show more confidence and be proud of being a woman, without becoming a feminist.
no matter what a great career u will have, u will never be 100% happy when u will return home after a long and hard day, to find nothing but a cat or an empty place, growing old not having kids, being alone and what do do with all the money that u saved? buy love? buy happyness? than u might wake up and have regrets for the things u did not do when it was the time.
husband does not mean a ruler, marriage is not the end of ur life,it's our nature to find a man, have kids, raise them! why to rebel against it instead of doing it and to be proud of what we r?
for the ones who want a career i wish u the best and all luck to succed in it! same i wish for the ones who r staing home and r devoted to the family, same for the ones who will have the courrage to try to do it both!
p/s if any feminist will wanna shoot my head after what i wrote....i am available :twisted: :wink:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 03, 2006
Alexandra, that isn't true that feminists would attack you for what you said. Feminists fight for the right to do what they please, whether that is work or stay home with children. I am a feminist and I feel it is the most important job to stay home with young children and give them all the care they need. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I plan to stay home for a few years and maybe do some freelancing in the evening eventually if I still want to get out of the house and make a little money.

The interesting thing about the world today, is that more men are accustomed to women working and some actually frown upon their wife if she doesn't go back to work as soon as possible and leave the children in daycare. They want a double income to be able to afford a nicer car, larger house, etc. Some men think that a woman has no ambition or drive is she isn't focused on a career, despite the fact that they also want a baby from the woman on top.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 03, 2006
The hardest job in the world is a working Mother.
I have read that if a home maker would be paid for her work at home she would be making 80,000 $/yr add to this her career.
Men should help around more but there is something that shouldn't be over looked men are always under alot of pressure cuz of the main house provider he has also that this isn't the case in some stituation. I agree with both of you Kanelli and Alexandra.
But the main problem is that most women are confused about what they really want not like you Kanelli or they eat way more than they can shew and blame men for it. You can't work 10 hrs aday and raise kids and have a romatic relationship with ur husband all in the same time. Women must set their piorities 1st according to their capabilities than do whatever they want. Good luck figering this out :wink:
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 03, 2006
But Wafaey, my point was there are many men who expect their wife to work 8 hrs, plus look after kids, plus clean the house and cook the meals, plus be a lover. If she can't handle it, she is treated like a bad employee, bad mother, bad wife. The pressure can come from within women themselves, but I wanted to point out that it comes from the men as well sometimes.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 03, 2006
the pressure comes on when anyone goes for more than they can handle that is the point do what u can handle and you can't have everything something will take over something. And please don't if u want to work 8 hrs and raise up kids then u will have no time left for ur husband and then blame him that he is putting pressure on u. Then some get a maid to help with kids and yet again they complain that they don't spend time with their kids and don't know what they are up to :? :?
Wafaey
Dubai forums Addict

May 03, 2006
men or women we all seek for appreciation from the society, form the manager, from the family etc. as i woman i think i will enjoy more if my kids will say about me that i am a great mother, and my husband will tell me that i am the only one to bring him comfort and joy than a manager saing i did a great job with a project.
but as wafaey saied , we all have to set up priorities cause we r not robots and we can do all tasks requested! no matter what we choose, to hava a career or to be a mother, the most important is do do it right!
i also agree with the point of view that men should help and bring more emotional support when they find we r overwhelmed with all problems.
so complicated.... :?
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 12, 2006
how long do u wait?

for me i wish i can marrry from today :D, but i have to wait untill i finish my studies and find a suitable job then i will marry , to have fun and build a family and enjoy my life, i dont know how those people think first about their jobs as a first proirtry thing. I think because they have already bf so they dont care abuot marriege much, and they are free to do with him watever they like :shock:
veron23
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jun 24, 2006
OMG you're a real woman hater aren't you!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 25, 2006
DaveDXB wrote:
kanelli wrote:But Wafaey, my point was there are many men who expect their wife to work 8 hrs, plus look after kids, plus clean the house and cook the meals, plus be a lover. If she can't handle it, she is treated like a bad employee, bad mother, bad wife. The pressure can come from within women themselves, but I wanted to point out that it comes from the men as well sometimes.

yeah, i like this new type of lifestyle for ladies...keep her busy rather than watching her getting fatter day by day moaning (complaining) like a cow abt all her dam problems........

heheehee....Hold it hold it....not all ladies grumble..you have been seeing the wrong ones or experienced maybe :wink:
Carol_eyez
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance