TWO Things Not To Do On SZR When It's Raining...

Topic locked
TWO things not to do on SZR when it's raining... Dec 13, 2009
1) Drive with your hazard lights on.

You're driving a car, do you honestly think you can't be seen? Plus, if your hazards are on, your indicators won't work, so how the bloody hell are the rest of us supposed to know when you're going to change lanes? Assuming you're one of the 7% of dubai road users that have the finger strength to actually use indicators.

2) Drive 2 metres from my rear bumper.

There's this thing called water, and the thing about water is that it's wet, and it makes the hard thing (called the road) slippery and dangerous. Therefore, the round things on your car (the tyres) won't stop anywhere near as quickly as when the hard thing is dry. In fact, even when it's dry you shouldn't be driving 2 metres from my bumper, because in the event that you slam into the back of my car because you're driving dangerously close, i may decide that your journey home should involve a tour of the intensive care unit of a local hospital. A lengthy tour.

We all know the reasons why dubai's roads are some of the most dangerous in the world. We know that Dubai suffers from a massive lack of road safety education. We know that Dubai's driving schools are massively corrupt and that driving licenses are bought easily as presents for wifes/children etc. We know that some locals think they own the roads and drive like petulent, bullying children.

But please, just for these few days when it's raining and extra dangerous out there, can't we all just try and get to where we're going without putting other people's lives in danger?

Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: TWO things not to do on SZR when it's raining... Dec 13, 2009
1 more, Driving with headlights off.
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

"...it's wet, and it makes the hard thing slippery and dangerous"

That's what she said.
TeddyBear
Dubai Forums Member

Coming back from AD yesterday counted five seperate crashes, all of them due to failing to adjust to the conditions.

Darwinism in all its action.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Dr Strangelove - well said;

TeadyBear - ROFLMAO :)
onthepalm
Dubai Forums Frequenter

I ventured out this morning. Got about half a mile from home and turned back. It's not worth risking my life when these morons are on the road. Sometimes I wish it was more like back home where I'd be more able to drag these people out of the cars and give them a good kicking. That's maybe a little harsh but at the end of the day, they're putting my life at risk and obviously education and common sense are lost on them.
gavtek
Dubai Forums Member

Re: TWO things not to do on SZR when it's raining... Dec 14, 2009
G to tha T wrote:1 more, Driving with headlights off.

Say what???

Everyone should drive with the hedalight on all the time. It is safer.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

I am always intrigued as to why so many people here have so little common sense. And no, its not just about education. Seemingly well-educated people also drive like idiots in the rain, noticed one guy doing 60 kph on the Abu Dhabi highway on the 3rd lane without headlights on in heavy rain. His car's silver color made it difficult to notice him.....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

TeddyBear wrote:"...it's wet, and it makes the hard thing slippery and dangerous"

That's what she said.

Now that my friend, is a keen eye for the double entendre, well played sir :D
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Dr Strangeglove wrote:1) Drive with your hazard lights on.

You're driving a car, do you honestly think you can't be seen? Plus, if your hazards are on, your indicators won't work, so how the bloody hell are the rest of us supposed to know when you're going to change lanes? Assuming you're one of the 7% of dubai road users that have the finger strength to actually use indicators.

2) Drive 2 metres from my rear bumper.

There's this thing called water, and the thing about water is that it's wet, and it makes the hard thing (called the road) slippery and dangerous. Therefore, the round things on your car (the tyres) won't stop anywhere near as quickly as when the hard thing is dry. In fact, even when it's dry you shouldn't be driving 2 metres from my bumper, because in the event that you slam into the back of my car because you're driving dangerously close, i may decide that your journey home should involve a tour of the intensive care unit of a local hospital. A lengthy tour.

We all know the reasons why dubai's roads are some of the most dangerous in the world. We know that Dubai suffers from a massive lack of road safety education. We know that Dubai's driving schools are massively corrupt and that driving licenses are bought easily as presents for wifes/children etc. We know that some locals think they own the roads and drive like petulent, bullying children.

But please, just for these few days when it's raining and extra dangerous out there, can't we all just try and get to where we're going without putting other people's lives in danger?

Dubai Dubai Dubai...did you forget that at least 70% of those drivers are ppl who already got taught and got there experience from their own countries along with it's driving attitude Dr Strangeglove? Dubai can't do anything when you are dump and careless and one the other hand you got ppl complaining that Dubai is hard in giving licenses or issuing tickets and the many radars on the road !! you just can't please everyone.. :wink:
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Uaekid, on the contrary, some of the most stupid things I have seen on Dubai roads have been done by presumably people who learned their driving here....
Like the Maxima who switched from 4th to 2nd lane at a speed of 160 kph in rain....because he was about to miss an exit...getting almost 6 inches from my bumper..
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

THANK YOU ! strange love.

It sure is flustrating to see those morons flashing hazards . WTF..what your the only one who can see its raining ? Headlights off and hazards blinking ! Great going sherlock.

And yes there was quite some bumper car activity on the AD highway yesterday. And most of all Thank God I don't live in the city and have a 4x4. From traffic pics I saw on the papers today !!

As for the 4x4 part I was easily able to go around JLT and offroad it into Discovery gardens. As I saw the huge tails back on all roads leading into D.Gardens. Due to the main road being under 2 feet of water. Couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor motorists whose rides had stalled in the water as I went by.

But the funniest bit was and yes he was an Emarati ( sorry for bringup stereotypes :mrgreen: ). The idiot drove into the lake with a Nissan Z350 ! ( good thing he left his lambo home otherwise would have he would have drowned in it ) WTF ! and ofcourse as expected concked out a few feet into it. LOOOSER !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

BlackburnRovers wrote:Uaekid, on the contrary, some of the most stupid things I have seen on Dubai roads have been done by presumably people who learned their driving here....
Like the Maxima who switched from 4th to 2nd lane at a speed of 160 kph in rain....because he was about to miss an exit...getting almost 6 inches from my bumper..

and how did you know that those ppl learned here ? are they hanging a sign on the wind shield that say so beside it is a cool move LOL
uaekid

uaekid wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:Uaekid, on the contrary, some of the most stupid things I have seen on Dubai roads have been done by presumably people who learned their driving here....

beside it is a cool move
LOL

Now wonder the driving standards here are so messed up :D
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Yeaah and then the doofus hits a puddle loosed traction, spins out takes a couple of other innocent motorists with him. And all of a sudden that cool move turns into a big mess.
desertdudeshj

Re: TWO things not to do on SZR when it's raining... Dec 15, 2009
uaedude, if you don't think that locals and other drivers that learned here in the The UAE are not the reason that there are so many mindless accidents, regardless of the conditions, then you are have either

a) never traveled to the West

or

B) delusion
smokedawg
Dubai Forums Frequenter

UAEKid, you missed your true calling, you should be a stand-up comic, because everytime you write something I laugh.

For the avoidance of doubt, read the link below:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/traff ... s-1.553597

2 days of rain, 987 accidents. It's almost beyond comprehension.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Imagine if te enitre population was shifted to a rainy place like England. The entire population would be wiped out in a matter of months !
desertdudeshj

I'll be the first one to admit I do feel uneasy driving about in the rain, simply because its not a regular feature here and not used to it, but do enjoy it throughly but also do take extra precaution, like not keeping well below my regular speed which hardly tops out at 110kph on the highway anyways, being extra viglant. Braking from a longer distance incase I do loose traction. always on the look out for puddles or standing water to prevent aqua planing, Keeping more than the usual amount of distance of around 3 o 4 car lenghts etc etc.
desertdudeshj

Who are you trying to kid Kid! We all know very well that 'locals' don't give a damn about anyone on the road, the rest of us are just in the way! They are selfish, ignorant, arrogant morons. I really don't care if they go kill themselves, but it's the poor people they take with them!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Who are you trying to kid Kid! We all know very well that 'locals' don't give a damn about anyone on the road, the rest of us are just in the way! They are selfish, ignorant, arrogant morons. I really don't care if they go kill themselves, but it's the poor people they take with them!

our country our roads, take it or leave :twisted: beside I have showmen you statistics before of who is causing those accidents dear. unlike you I'm not driven by emotions, now ,go back to your black hall and hibernate :shock:
uaekid

Its whole as in complete or full or Hole as in err..hole in your head whole not Hall..how many times..Why won't you learn kid..WHY !

BTW you need to look at statistics from a wider angle. For example one of the most dangerous sports satistic wise is....can you guess ?

Fishing ! only because so many across the globe do it and commerical fishing is also included in them. So when a fishing trawler with 200 or 300 crew goes down its counted !

But if you take the percentage of accident caused by Emaratis according to their population size and match that percentage with others I guess then you'll see.

We can't help it if there is only a handfull of you here ! :mrgreen:
desertdudeshj

certainly was fun the last few days driving up and down the rain sodden road between DXB and AUH.

Trying to keep the right foot with 400 ponies beneath it from spinning out whilst 2m away from the car in front, going thru small rivers running accross the road and puddles, was a hoot (YES, I AM KIDDING)

There is one issue nobody has raised, and whilst I agree that in the main, it is the people who cause the accidents through poor driving (as claimed by RTA/Police - speeding), a major portion of the blame has to go against the Gov for NOT providing adequate stormwater drainage facilities on the roads, or for that fact, designing roads that allow for rainwater run-off without pooling.

Irrespective if you are doing 60 or 120, when you go throiugh a large puddle, you will veer either left or right and more than likely into the armco barrier or the car adjacent you. If the roads were adequately designed and had stormwater run-off facilities, then there would be no issues.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

desertdudeshj wrote:Its whole as in complete or full or Hole as in err..hole in your head whole not Hall..how many times..Why won't you learn kid..WHY !

BTW you need to look at statistics from a wider angle. For example one of the most dangerous sports satistic wise is....can you guess ?

Fishing ! only because so many across the globe do it and commerical fishing is also included in them. So when a fishing trawler with 200 or 300 crew goes down its counted !

But if you take the percentage of accident caused by Emaratis according to their population size and match that percentage with others I guess then you'll see.

We can't help it if there is only a handfull of you here ! :mrgreen:

Just FYI, i work in police and out of the 987 reported accidents 518 were caused by Indians Pak and Bengal, 92 Philippines, 133 by other Arab nationalities and 143 by US and Europe, which leaves locals with 101.

Grow up and stop blaming locals for every crises that happens in Dubai, I'm not saying we are not involve in this but its not our fault only.....
Emarate
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Now thats a somewhat of a decent response, but again you fail to see that 101 locals is a lot compared to the local population here in percentage to the 518 from the south east indian population we have here.

You missed my point here totally. And ofcourse its not totally your fault. Mallu and pathan drivers suck ! Although the latter think they are gods gifts to the road.
desertdudeshj

Chocoholic wrote:Who are you trying to kid Kid! We all know very well that 'locals' don't give a damn about anyone on the road, the rest of us are just in the way! They are selfish, ignorant, arrogant morons. I really don't care if they go kill themselves, but it's the poor people they take with them!

Choc, please have some self respect and stop saying bad stuff about locals, cuz locals are the one sponsoring you and your company, and if you didn't stop saying those stuff about them you'll get yourself into troubles away bigger than you or can handle, I'm not threatening you but we have no democracy or rights of speech n town, its our country and we love it and we'll make sure anyone who doesn't share the same feelings towards this country to be placed on the first plan to his\her country...

I think I made myself clear....
Emarate
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Emarate wrote:I think I made myself clear....

You sure did, you made it clear that you're a bully, congratulations. I especially found it amusing when you threatened Choc and then said "I'm not threatening you". Laughable.

As you "work for the police" I'm a little shocked to note that you have a very poor grasp of your own country's laws and constitution, which BOTH provide protection for freedom of speech.

As you clearly seem to make stuff up, I'm afraid you're going to have to provide a link to your source for the crash statistics (with regards to nationalities) otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to assume they were made up as well.

For the record, when I was driving in the rain on SZR and there was a 4x4 2 metres behind my bumper, IT WAS A LOCAL. Everytime a car drives dangerous close to my rear bumper, IT'S A LOCAL.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Except when I am on your bumper (watch out for a big black car - hahahaha)
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Emerate,

You have to admit, that while statistics show a large number of accidents were caused by Non-UAE nationals, it would be interesting to see the % per the population (as suggested by Dr.Strangelove) and it is a very good suggestion.

Nobody is trying to point fingers here (I believe) but lets face the facts of what goes on on the roads, UAE nationals are in the main very careless and reckless drivers - it is normally they who come up and flash you with their illegal HID lights when 1-2m away from your bumper, they are also the ones who brake when you flash them to get out of the way (and I do this often - I like many am no slouch when driving)
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

lol you leave dubai forum for a while thinking everything will be peaceful but its BLOOODY NOOOOOOOT lol. what is wrong with dubai and its people?? seriously!! be bloody thank full that it rains for 7 days in a year in dubai and you people get cheesed off by someone whose got their hazards on :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat