Confirmation On No Skype

Topic locked
Confirmation on No Skype Nov 19, 2006
Emirates Today - Skype will remain banned but Etisalat and Du will be offering VoIP offerings.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 19, 2006
It's in Gulf News.
VoIP will only be offered for calls within the UAE.

I'm sure there are other posts on this, so forgive me, but what are the alternatives to skype, which are unblocked here in UAE? Note: I'm not in a freezone area; so i need something unblocked by the Etisalat proxy.

Thanks!
ineedacoolnick
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 20, 2006
ineedacoolnick wrote:I'm sure there are other posts on this, so forgive me, but what are the alternatives to skype, which are unblocked here in UAE? Note: I'm not in a freezone area; so i need something unblocked by the Etisalat proxy.
Thanks!

Haven't tried to bypass Etisalat proxy, but I'm quite happy to have FREE PC-to-PC voice chat + webcam (of Yahoo Messenger) with my family in Dubai (I'm on business trip out of UAE).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 29, 2006
i think that the new yahoo itselfe have calls to land lines , so i guess there is no harm from trying it ;)
Protoss
Dubai Forum User

Nov 29, 2006
Protoss wrote:i think that the new yahoo itselfe have calls to land lines , so i guess there is no harm from trying it ;)

Nope, it's already blocked.
weary_heart
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 01, 2006
What about MSN?
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Unblock Skype in Dubai with Witopia personnalVPN May 28, 2008
Hello,

After travelling in Dubai (UAE) and in China, I found a software that unblock Skype and censored contents in some countries.

I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

After searching internet, I found a way to make calls and to access censored content in those countries using a VPN (Virtual Private Network).

How does it works ?

A VPN encrypte the data you send on internet to a US IP adress (tunnel). This way your Internet Services Provider can't detect you are using Skype or another VoIP software ! It allow you access to censored content and geographical locked contents (i.e: listening radio on pandora.com , watching TV streams for US residents, ...).

There is a lot of VPN softwares, the first I tried was VPNaccounts. I didn't like it because it took a lot of time for activation, it was expensive and helpdesk support was very slow.

A friend of mine who lives in Belize told me about another VPN software called Witopia personnalVPN.

Now I am using Witopia personnalVPN. It is easier to use (you just have to launch the software before launching Skype), faster and cheaper than all other VPN softwares I tried.

It costs 39.99$ and works perfectly.

You can download it from the editor's website : Witopia personnalVPN

Works on Windows and Mac.

I hope this post will help people who are in those countries and reducing censorship !

Contact me if you need more information : info@helpnote.net
donaldf
Dubai Forum Guest

May 28, 2008
You should make it private. :roll:
Congratulation to publish it, it's a matter of time when this will be blocked as well.

PS: I'm using it, works great, but a bit slow lately and sometimes got disconnected.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Unblock Skype in Dubai with Witopia personnalVPN Jul 14, 2008
donaldf wrote:I know Skype is blocked or there is censor in the following countries : Belize, China, Columbia, Cuba, Jordan, UAE ...

Jordan ! Nothing is blocked there. LoL It is so opened country and free to do whatever you want except some other things which are not related to Internet itself. :wink:
bonbonboi
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 27, 2008
Is there any update on this?

Just moved over and wanted use Skpe to phone home (or any other VoIP). Is it really blocked here in UAE?
seardarren
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 28, 2008
Guys,

Skype works in dubai. But only PC-to-PC. Even if you have skypeout credits and you try to make a call, the call would connect & then terminate. Apparently you would end up wasting your credits.

Unless you have a vpn setup with someone on uncensored network

Read Faq at www.tra.ae

This is confirmed.
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Blocked signup pages? Not with us!!! Dec 02, 2008
Hi ,
we solve all your probs with skype, blocked sites (also signup pages for vpn) etc.
Our Vpn service costs just 10$ / month and cannot be blocked because we deliver to your home (UAE).
We follow a strict QoS guideline with a limited number of clients per server to ensure speed and bandwidth for everyone.
Interested? Then drop us a mail at: vpnsolutions@hotmail.de with your contact number.
VPNman
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Confirmation on No Skype Dec 09, 2008
That is really horrible of Etisalat and I'm surprised ISPs are still doing this kind of thing.

There is a way around the VOIP/Skype blockage and our company may be offering a solution especially for overseas customers to safely and securely get around all forms of blockage, including VOIP, banned websites and more.

In the past we've helped out our clients abroad to get around these blockages but we get requests and questions each day about how to achieve this.

^ian^ wrote:Emirates Today - Skype will remain banned but Etisalat and Du will be offering VoIP offerings.
compevo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk