Adults/Professionals Living Like Students In Dubai

Topic locked
Adults/Professionals living like students in Dubai Mar 19, 2008
Hmmm was just thinking recently after visiting quite a few friends in their apartments/villas, that professional adults here are being forced to live like students because no-one can afford a place of their own.

It's all a bit rubbish really isn't it?! I mean if you're sharing with 2, 3 or 4 other people, there's no privacy, eveything is shared, are communal areas made an effort with etc.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Adults/Professionals living like students in Dubai Mar 19, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Hmmm was just thinking recently after visiting quite a few friends in their apartments/villas, that professional adults here are being forced to live like students because no-one can afford a place of their own.

It's all a bit rubbish really isn't it?! I mean if you're sharing with 2, 3 or 4 other people, there's no privacy, eveything is shared, are communal areas made an effort with etc.

And this sort of living arrangement also artificially raises the rents. 5 people sharing a villa at 60K each is a lot different than a family paying 300K for a villa! Even apts at over 200K per year. Ridiculous...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2008
I agree! I was really shocked when I got here (only a few months ago)... to find a bunch of 30 somethings all bundled into one apartment.
Not OK at this/our/my age IMO - but they don't seem to mind!!! Is it really the only way to afford rent in this town??? Or is the expectation that you have to live somewhere fancy at any cost?
Anteater
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 19, 2008
Query the use of "forced to".

Nobody was forced to come here.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Adults/Professionals living like students in Dubai Mar 19, 2008
Concord wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Hmmm was just thinking recently after visiting quite a few friends in their apartments/villas, that professional adults here are being forced to live like students because no-one can afford a place of their own.

And this sort of living arrangement also artificially raises the rents. 5 people sharing a villa at 60K each is a lot different than a family paying 300K for a villa! Even apts at over 200K per year. Ridiculous...

in effect artificially raising real estate prices, which is what i have been saying all along.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 19, 2008
I'm just wondering what these pro adults would say if ever they were asked on why they chose to live this way.... 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2008
same here I am surprised why there are ppl choose to live this life?!?!?

Well, I live in Ajman in a brand new building with a two bed apartment paying only 2000 AED per month.

of course I will never dream to have this in Dubai... but I know many paying 3000/m AED (sharing) in Dubai.

true, I have to face traffic, but I prefer traffic than sharing my privacy and to lose the peace-of-mind.

plus it only takes me 45min to be in my office in Diera :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
If u've to bulk up your savings.. ur gonna have to share your place of stay... If u need a house /villa of your own be ready to spend and take it. Thats dubai. Not ideal but thats the way it is..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 19, 2008
Its a toss up chocs. I'm one of those people you mention (well you know that anyway!) and I often consider the getting an apartment to myself dilemma. but then i will have to pay double the amount in rent, plus all the extra bills so it would cost me an extra 6,000 a month to have my own place - not to mention the 20k to furnish the whole lot. So partly it was an economic decision, and partly not to come home to an empty unit on my own each day. its nice to have people to talk to and if you do live with 30 somethings and not party animals then the living situation doesn't have to be so student like.

As an extra - brand new villas went up next door to ours last month - they are going for 350k. Some have been rented by some filipinos who have partitioned the rooms to allow more families to move in. Who can afford 350k a year for a 4 bed villa?
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2008
scarlet wrote:Its a toss up chocs. I'm one of those people you mention (well you know that anyway!) and I often consider the getting an apartment to myself dilemma. but then i will have to pay double the amount in rent, plus all the extra bills so it would cost me an extra 6,000 a month to have my own place - not to mention the 20k to furnish the whole lot. So partly it was an economic decision, and partly not to come home to an empty unit on my own each day. its nice to have people to talk to and if you do live with 30 somethings and not party animals then the living situation doesn't have to be so student like.

As an extra - brand new villas went up next door to ours last month - they are going for 350k. Some have been rented by some filipinos who have partitioned the rooms to allow more families to move in. Who can afford 350k a year for a 4 bed villa?

See your prior sentence! It's a big dilema unless and until people refuse to pay exhorbinate rents they will continue to creep up. On the other hand for some people (your new neighbors) renting and partitioning a villa is their income!

For 350K a year ($100K) you can rent an apartment overlooking central park in NYC - no fooling!n Just plain nuts!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2008
no concs 1 would not pay 87,500 for a room in a villa - as that is equivalent to a one bedroom apartment.
scarlet
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2008
Eh, I live in the same place I've lived for the past 25 years :) With my parents...We don't pay rent either. They have spent every dirham they have getting us a proper education, so I'm not prepared to throw away my money for nothing.

Rent is simply ridiculous here, and people that pay those rents are partially responsible for it. But then again, what choice do people have.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2008
You live with your parents ? That might explain in your other thread you are having a hard time finding a girl ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2008
scarlet wrote:Its a toss up chocs. I'm one of those people you mention (well you know that anyway!) and I often consider the getting an apartment to myself dilemma. but then i will have to pay double the amount in rent, plus all the extra bills so it would cost me an extra 6,000 a month to have my own place - not to mention the 20k to furnish the whole lot. So partly it was an economic decision, and partly not to come home to an empty unit on my own each day. its nice to have people to talk to and if you do live with 30 somethings and not party animals then the living situation doesn't have to be so student like.

Dont worry about who can offer 350K... believe it or not... as of today demand is more than supply and the prices can go more up if not controlled properly.

I have my friend who pays almost 500K/year for a 3-bed villa on the creek next to park hyatt!!! :shock:

the problem is... if you get married, would you share a house with another family?!?!?! personally this is too much.. I wont even share it with my friend to share it with strangers... so what to say about 3 to 5 families sharing the same apartment or villa?!?

if you are single... sharing two bedroom apartment with another person or two is no big deal but NOT 30 ppl.

I believe if "I" can't afford a private house for my wife and kids (am not yet married :p) I rather prefer go back home country.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
quatroporte wrote:believe it or not... as of today (from confirmed sources) supply is more than demand and the prices can go more up if not controlled properly.

Nothing about this sentence makes sense.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 19, 2008
^ian^ wrote:
quatroporte wrote:believe it or not... as of today (from confirmed sources) supply is more than demand and the prices can go more up if not controlled properly.

Thats what I thought too. If you are going to post at least make sure that it sounds correct?
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2008
^ian^ wrote:

eeeewwww... what a stupid mistake. :oops:

I meant to say demand is more than supply...

sorry for that loosy statement :oops:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
quatroporte wrote:

Ok, NOW you are lying. When do you commute? 4 am in the morning?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 19, 2008
MaaaD wrote:You live with your parents ? That might explain in your other thread you are having a hard time finding a girl ;)

Yeah I thought I would get this type of comment :P...I do find it stupid for someone to move out and pay 6k a month because he wants to be 'cool' and get all the girls! Myself and my parents are happy like this, we save more money and I get to pay them back without much trouble. This 'living with your parents' mentality is a western way of thought, and is being adapted over here now...What ever happened to logic?

And no, it wasn't me who was complaining ;) I'm fine.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2008
gtmash wrote:
quatroporte wrote:

LOOOL :lol: I have my special roots...

If dubai airport road is not jammed in the morning I would reach my office in 25mins from Ajman... i just cant overtake the bad traffic on Dubai Airport road as I would save about 30 mins

ohh and I go to work at 8am and reach office between 8:45 to 9am in Murqabat street :wink:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 19, 2008
quatroporte wrote:
gtmash wrote:
quatroporte wrote:

If dubai airport road is not jammed in the morning I would reach my office in 25mins from Ajman... i just cant overtake the bad traffic on Dubai Airport road as I would save about 30 mins

ohh and I go to work at 8am and reach office between 8:45 to 9am in Murqabat street :wink:

Then you must constantly drive illegally on the side as it's impossible to get through Emirates Road from Ajman in 45 mins. I see the traffic there everyday, and it's not pretty.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 19, 2008
MC wrote:
quatroporte wrote:
gtmash wrote:
quatroporte wrote:

Then you must constantly drive illegally on the side as it's impossible to get through Emirates Road from Ajman in 45 mins. I see the traffic there everyday, and it's not pretty.

ohhh no... Emirates Road is a dead end like all other roads!

basically, I use a mix of many roads with many shortcuts... I never ever drive on the road side illegally... I hate who ever does it...

lets say you need a 4x4 to use my own roots :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 20, 2008
scarlet wrote:As an extra - brand new villas went up next door to ours last month - they are going for 350k. Some have been rented by some filipinos who have partitioned the rooms to allow more families to move in. Who can afford 350k a year for a 4 bed villa?

where will they all park their cars? :shock:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 20, 2008
KeithL wrote:
scarlet wrote:As an extra - brand new villas went up next door to ours last month - they are going for 350k. Some have been rented by some filipinos who have partitioned the rooms to allow more families to move in. Who can afford 350k a year for a 4 bed villa?

where will they all park their cars? :shock:

I doubt they have cars!
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 20, 2008
its simple get a better job with better pay so you can live on ur own. if you cant do that then do some savings and dont spend on rubbish things. if you still cant do that find some where else. shj is cheap, so is ajman. i know there is traffic but y not wake up at 5am drive to work and sleep in your car for an hour or so and go to office. Hey its gay but you will save atleast 2000dhs this way.

oh by the way i think its against to live this way and if someone did complain against u u will be in a HUGE trouble. so think about it.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 24, 2008
rudeboy wrote:its simple get a better job with better pay so you can live on ur own. if you cant do that then do some savings and dont spend on rubbish things. if you still cant do that find some where else. shj is cheap, so is ajman. i know there is traffic but y not wake up at 5am drive to work and sleep in your car for an hour or so and go to office. Hey its gay but you will save atleast 2000dhs this way.

oh by the way i think its against to live this way and if someone did complain against u u will be in a HUGE trouble. so think about it.

The 5am drive is the best from Sharjah or Ajman to Dubai...

I used to drive at 5am from home and go to the Jumierah beach to run. by 7am I go to the gym in the hotel I work for, get a shower and head to office.

such a lovely thing to do in the morning... given you sleep 9pm everyday :roll: this is the hardest part for me :oops:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 24, 2008
rudeboy wrote:its simple get a better job with better pay so you can live on ur own. if you cant do that then do some savings and dont spend on rubbish things. if you still cant do that find some where else. shj is cheap, so is ajman. i know there is traffic but y not wake up at 5am drive to work and sleep in your car for an hour or so and go to office. Hey its gay but you will save atleast 2000dhs this way.

The 5am drive is the best from Sharjah or Ajman to Dubai...

I used to drive at 5am from home and go to the Jumierah beach to run. by 7am I go to the gym in the hotel I work for, get a shower and head to office.

such a lovely thing to do in the morning... given you sleep 9pm everyday :roll: this is the hardest part for me :oops:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Hi Mar 26, 2008
There isn't any public transit in Dubai? Why every body has to drive a car. Hmmmmmm................ :?
Focus
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Hi Mar 26, 2008
Focus wrote:There isn't any public transit in Dubai? Why every body has to drive a car. Hmmmmmm................ :?

Their is Public Transport (Buses) and the new Metro will commence 9/9/9
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks for your info so the time when I will be there as a tourist for two weeks only, I should rent a car or it is OK to take buses. 8)
Focus
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat