Ramadan - And So

Topic locked
Ramadan - And so Aug 20, 2010
Hey all! Okay so here's the thing, I'm a gamer. OBSESSED with online games, and lately I've noticed how people are cussing Ramadan, calling it stupid and all. There's nothing I can do about it, it's a free world. But before people place their judgment, I would like to clarify a few things.

-What is Ramadan?
A month where Muslims fast. <I have no idea what to add to that>

-Why do we fast?
1)To master patience.
2)To appreciate what god has given us, instead of demanding for more.
3)To feel the hunger and yearning of those who are less fortunate than us.
4)To try out the sinless life (Since we can't sin when we fast)

-How do we fast?
1)We don't just forbid ourselves from the edibles, we also forbid ourselves from committing sin.
2)You probably all know, we can't drink, we can't eat, we can't smoke, we can't swear, or commit any harmful or ewwy act
3)We begin our fasting from al-farj prayer (4:30am) all the way to magrib (7:00pm)

If you have any questions feel free to ask. If you still think Ramadan is stupid then that's your choice, I tried my best to divert your perspective.

Salam.
Shey :alien:

Kandilicious
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Ramadan - And so Aug 20, 2010
First, Ramadan Kareem to you and hope that your fast is easy.

Shey, your intentions are good, but let me point out some observations - as they relate to Dubai.

First, it is usually expats who live in an Islamic country who complain about Ramadan restrictions being imposed on their lifestyle and how it is actually an inconvenience. Those restrictions are for the benefit of those fasting, to make the fast easier.

Second, there are many, many Muslims who flee to the UK to avoid having to practice what is expected during Ramadan. There are also many Muslims who seem to have stomach problems during Ramadan so fasting is actually not possible.

Third, the wealth that many have experienced over time has corrupted their moral values. Many Muslims who don't practice Islam during the other 11 months turn to Ramadan as a time seeking forgiveness. Many stay away from their mistresses during that time (at least until sundown). Many continue to conduct "business as usual", which is generally a time they seek to make more money. These people put the roof over their heads, clothe their family, pay for the childrens education, put food on the table with money that was obtained through shady deals. They continue to live large: hosting iftars where exorbitant amounts of food is thrown out or going out to restaurants where they pile the food on the plate, eat half of it and the rest goes in the garbage. How many of the wealthy actually donate the required percentage of their income to the poor, or for that matter, anything at all? The Muslim who "donates" 1,000 AED to the local mosque thinks that this washes away the sins he committed over the past 11 months.

Fourth, there is so much hypocrasy among those "good" Muslims not only during Ramadan but has made it a lifestyle.

If one wants to experience the true essence of Ramadan, I suggest spending a week or so in Egypt. It seems that poor Muslims are much more sincere when it comes to practicing Ramadan the proper way.

Why does one have to fast to understand the hunger that others experience every day? Muslims are expected to show good morals during Ramadan. Why not practice those morals all year?

I won't say it is the majority of Muslims that show hypocrasy during Ramadan, but Dubai could never be the poster country for Ramadan, unless hypocrasy is the focus.

Signed: A disappointed (convert) Muslim.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Ramadan - And so Aug 20, 2010
Ramadan Kareem to you too =)
I agree with you, It's sad and disappointing but very true. I see Ramadan as a month where Muslims unite and actually become MUSLIMS! (if you know what I mean) and people can't see the beauty of Ramadan. It's true though, they fast but then reward themselves with various kinds of meals that usually end up in the dumpster.
And Bora, there are heaps of people who demonstrate a great vibrate ramadan spirit, you just need to look in the right place.
You definitely wont find it in Arabs though, being an Arab. I have seen how our society has reached the bottom of the hill, we are too ashamed of who we are, and we try to hold on to the European culture more than our own. We are contributing in the downfall of society by doing so, sad but true.
I created this thread because I want to clarify a few things to people who don't really get Ramadan. Sadly, I've heard Muslims call Ramadan stupid as well.. shame :(

Salam.
Kandilicious
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Ramadan - And so Aug 23, 2010
Having spent a Ramadan in Saudi Arabia, I can confirm that there are Muslims who keep to the fast...because they are forced to by the peer pressure of others around them.

Even there, a great many normally 'good' Muslims find Ramadan a challenge (I was there when it was in October, I hate to think how they find it now when the days are 14 hours long!) There are so many excuses to 'travel' more than 80kms during the Holy Month.

One or two points from a non denominational perspective:

1. Voluntary fasting is abnormal in the animal world...in fact it is non existant, and is actually detrimental to your health.
2. Remember: If you fast...its your choice, no one elses, so don't try to force it upon them or have a go because they choose to eat or drink in front of you.
3. Eating in front of you is not 'disrespectful' of your religion, in fact it should be proving that you are a better Muslim as I am putting temptation in your way and you are resisting. Well done. Now let me get on with my sandwich.
4. You cannot be arrested for eating or smoking in the street. There is no Federal Law against this and it is merely a 'frightener' to make people toe the line.
5. Imposing it in the UAE is pointless anyway as the largest single religious group here...is Hindi.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Ramadan - And So Aug 24, 2010
+ 1 on 2, 3, 4, 5
desertdudeshj

Re: Ramadan - And so Aug 24, 2010
Kandilicious wrote:Ramadan Kareem to you too =)
I agree with you, It's sad and disappointing but very true. I see Ramadan as a month where Muslims unite and actually become MUSLIMS! (if you know what I mean) and people can't see the beauty of Ramadan. It's true though, they fast but then reward themselves with various kinds of meals that usually end up in the dumpster.
And Bora, there are heaps of people who demonstrate a great vibrate ramadan spirit, you just need to look in the right place.
You definitely wont find it in Arabs though, being an Arab. I have seen how our society has reached the bottom of the hill, we are too ashamed of who we are, and we try to hold on to the European culture more than our own. We are contributing in the downfall of society by doing so, sad but true.
I created this thread because I want to clarify a few things to people who don't really get Ramadan. Sadly, I've heard Muslims call Ramadan stupid as well.. shame :(

Salam.

There are many who embrance Ramadan in the spirit it is meant. I'm talking about those "good" Muslims who, at this very time, are in London to avoid doing what is expected of them at this holy time by Islam. I know so many hypocrites that journey to Mecca at this time of year - I guess to ask for forgiveness for what they did the past year and get a jump and asking for forgiveness for the sins that they will commit in the coming year. Take a look at Mecca where they have lavish tents and hotels so that these religious pilgrims aren't inconvenienced by any hardships that may come their way and limit their having to rub shoulders with the "peasants" that they are forced to take the journey with. It is those "peasants" that embrance the true meaning of Islam.

Middle East Arabs aren't trying to hold onto European culture as it was never theirs to begin with, but they are definitely trying to incorporate it into their culture andl lifestyle. There are many European Muslims who can balance religion and lifestyle, but for Middle Eastern Arabs - it's all new to them. Many years ago they didn't have the "distractions" that they have today. Clearly, they don't know how to enjoy/embrace both.

Salam
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Ramadan - And so Aug 26, 2010
Everyone associates Ramadan with being an Arabic celebration, ones of 'tradition' and 'heritage'. Which is why you see tents popping up everywhere. However some of these are as far from traditional heritage as the moon, like the clear plastic structure at the end of my road, lit with 10 million candlepower of white fluorescent tubes, chilled by an AC that would lower the temperature of the sun, kitted out with benches and frilly pink cushions that would not look out of place in a Turkish harem! And do the occupants sit in contemplation of their faith whilst enjoying traditional Iftar? No, they watch English Premier League Football at 1000 decibels on the largest flat screen TV in creation!

I once had to prepare a promotion during Ramadan and suggested we should look at how the Holy Month is celebrated around the world. The intent was to try and avoid the traditional UAE icons of stripey sofas, stars, moon, lanterns etc. and a quick study of the spread of Islam revealed that there are actually comparatively very few Muslims in the Arabian peninsula, however Ramadan is almost forcefully associated with traditional Arabic heritage everywhere.

The combined official total for Saudi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Oman and Yemen is 40,752,341. A significant body of belief, however it pales into insignificance when you consider that India alone has 133 million Muslim followers! Indonesia 196 million! Another 133 million in China and 104 million in Bangladesh.

Maybe we should celebrate in Bangladeshi style instead?

Iftar in a flooded rubbish dump anyone?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums