Handy List Of Quaint Beliefs

Topic locked
Re: Handy List of Quaint Beliefs Dec 28, 2009
Thou shalt not make a covenant with them. Either they give up idolatry or they are killed. And it is forbidden to pity them, since it says (ibid.): Nor shalt thou shew mercy unto them.

Woah, that sounds like some pretty damning stuff. I wonder if a reading of the Bible supports your author's belief that the Hebrews/modern Judaism, are to always wage war against unbelievers, especially pagans?

It's interesting to see how this contrasts with the teachings of Islam - while the ancient Hebrews did wage war against some unbelievers, there was never a belief in perpetual warfare against unbelievers, unlike what Islamic Law teaches - that the Kalifa is to wage jihad warfare against all unbelievers for all times.

Unbelievers have three options they may choose from - convert to Islam, submit to Muslim occupation as second class citizens or, finally, be put to the sword. Considering the sheer amount of booty, slaves, wives and concubines the early Muslims took back with them to Arabia and the garrison cities in Egypt and Iraq, I'm guessing that Muslims have historically preferred the last two.

We've had a number of instances where historians and authors quoted by eh-oh have confirmed/clarified that the Jizya is a tax and that the taxes paid by Muslims worked out higher.

I'm not aware of that. Could you please quote these 'historians' and 'scholars' to see what they actually have to say? I find that particularly difficult to believe since the taxes Muslim paid was based off of a percentage of their income whereas non-Muslims paid a flat tax. The only way to know who paid more would be to know how much people made back then and adjust the money to the value of modern currency.

These taxes also varied as did the amount of tax owed to the government. But, good luck, maybe I'll start a thread for you on this issue so every one can, once again, witness your deep, scholarly knowledge on this topic.

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Handy List of Quaint Beliefs Dec 29, 2009
Sure thing eh-oh. I'll bump the threads on Jizya and/or start new ones.

Glad to see that you are willing to examine some of your newer quaint beliefs.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums