Christmas In Dubai And Everywhere Else...

Topic locked
Christmas in Dubai and everywhere else... Dec 10, 2006
I just read this, and it struck me...

http://www.7days.ae/2006/12/09/happy-dxb-mas.html#continueStory

To the muslims here:

- Are muslims really offended by the christian celebration of christmas?

- Do you feel it's celebration here in dubai and in other predominantly muslim nations offending?

- Do you think other nations such as the UK is doing the right thing ''downplaying'' christmas so as not to offend their muslim minority?

- What can you say about the fact that non-muslims are compelled to observe ramadan (and all other muslim practices/festivities) in a muslim country when muslims are not subject to the same during christmas (and all other non-muslim practices/festivities) in a not predominantly muslim country?

yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 10, 2006
The world's gone crazeee!

Political correctness gone mad, in my opinion. On the one hand you have the thinly disguised racism/islamophobia brought to the surface in the 'veil' debate and on-going vilification of immigrants (be they muslim or East European) - and then you have this pc madness.

British Airways enforcing it's rule about not having jewellry on show when the item in question was a small crucifix had all the Christians in arms and the rest of us looking on in puzzlement.

Personally, I love Christmas. It's something to look forward to in the dark cold days of winter and brightens up otherwise quite a depressing time of year. The festive spirit is pervasive and the emphasis on families get togethers and meals (and ensuing fights! :) ) is something all cultures take advantage of and observe.

Yes, Christmas is primarily commercial now - only a minority of the population go to midnight mass or see it as a religious occasion - and some Christians even see it as a pagan throw-back and don't celebrate it (Jehova's witnesses) - but that does not mean to say that non-Muslims will find it offensive.

I took part in nativity plays, my daughter has similarly dones so and gone carol singing.

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 10, 2006
Call it ''islamophobia'' if you like, I'd call it Islam Double Standards.
I went through Ramadan here in Dubai making sure I won't let people see me doing the forbidden things- this is primarily due to respect and because I am in a muslim country, and also because of the fear that if somebody catches me, I'd be in trouble. I don't see people here protesting about how these practices are against their religion- or in my case, against my freedom to eat and drink wherever and whenever (I don't belong to a religion).
I figure that I am a minority here so I should be the one who is doing the tolerating. Now comes the UK, why would they then go through such lengths so as not to offend the muslim minority? Can't the muslim minority there be tolerant about christmas?
Like you said, it has gone crazy, and I do think it is! But these events don't just come out as a result of nothing.
I'm curious of how most muslims would answer each of my questions directly.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 10, 2006
yujin

Where in the article does it explicitly state that Muslims are behind the toning down of Christmas celebrations? Maybe I missed it...

Aren't these episodes of cancellations of minor Christmas displays more like the exception rather than the rule? And also, a complaint does should not warrant a decision - the issue should be with the decision makers themselves not with some random citizen complaint who by all accounts could be of the Jewish faith.

And lastly, The Sun? I mean c'mon, it's a biased tabloid uh...newspaper, not an authority on real issues.

I think this is much a do about nothingness...
freza
Dubai chat master

Dec 10, 2006
yujin- you may have missed it, but I am British and a Muslim. Up til March this year I was living in the UK and was quite happy with Christmas.

So in answer to your question about 'can't the muslim minority be tolerant about Christmas' - the answer is a resounding YES.

Perhaps with the above in mind, my previous post more fully answers your question.

What is your view about the veil and the hysteria about immigration - is it not being overblown? Is it not really racism?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 10, 2006
I second this - Before moving to Dubai I lived in Slough (quite different to Dubai) where we have two mosques and a third on the way, a hindu temple and some churchs - its the most ethincal diverse city in the UK.

I never once heard any of my Muslim friends say they were offended by Christmas. It was just christmas, we all grew up with christmas and it meant;

No School :)

Good TV :)

Happy Adults :) (Well sometimes).

There is so much resentment fueled tripe posted on here trying to create a divide - it claims the media as its source and never the man or women living on the street.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 10, 2006
Blair tells migrants to accept British values

LONDON (Reuters) - People wanting to settle in Britain had a duty to integrate and must conform to its values or stay away, British Prime Minister Tony Blair said on Friday.
Mr & Mrs Inquirer
Dubai Forums Talker

Dec 10, 2006
Tell's quite a different story when the whole article is considered;

"But we protect this attitude by defending it. Our tolerance is part of what makes Britain Britain. So conform to it; or don't come here. We don't want the hate-mongers, whatever their race, religion or creed," he told an audience that included academics, students and Muslim leaders.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 11, 2006
In the UK, the PC morons have gone bananas. I even read a story in a UK tabloid called 'Ding Dong Merriyl Dubai' where they pointed out that people can celebrate Christmas in public and openly even in the UAE. Whereas in the UK all public christmas displays are being banned, even religious christmas cards are being banned.

The Muslim Council of the UK constantly, bited back and tells them not to blame Muslims and that they accept and even celebrate this time of year - good for them and rightly so.

You have to remember however, that the reason the shops and malls go bananas for Christmas in Dubai or anywhere in the world, is purely a commercial one and nothing more. It's the time of year when people spend most money.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 12, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:In the UK, the PC morons have gone bananas. I even read a story in a UK tabloid called 'Ding Dong Merriyl Dubai' where they pointed out that people can celebrate Christmas in public and openly even in the UAE. Whereas in the UK all public christmas displays are being banned, even religious christmas cards are being banned.

Eh? You mean public Christmas displays like nativity scenes in most schools and shopping malls, the school curriculum in December being geared around the story of Christ (which I don't agree with, not because it offends anyone, we shouldn't bombard children with religion and should let them grow up and then decide of their own free will) and religious symbols and imagery being pretty much ubiquitous (sharing a platform with Santa of course :lol: )?

I suspect the tabloids are making a story from nothing, everyone will continue to celebrate (or not celebrate) Christmas in exactly the same way as they've always done.
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 12, 2006
I was shocked to read this?? Everyone can do whatever, why muslims will get offended especially in none muslim country?? I read the article ( sorry I lied) I stopped here “According to The Sun newspaper” THE SUN!!!!! who cares what the sun has to say!

scot1870 wrote:
I suspect the tabloids are making a story from nothing, everyone will continue to celebrate (or not celebrate) Christmas in exactly the same way as they've always done.

Yup I totally agree.i think that what is happning here!!
sara_uk
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 12, 2006
Well whatever you think of the paper, it's happening around the UK. Other papers have run stories as such. I just think the whole idea of not being able to have public displays and stupid reasons for stopping or hindering celebrations is ridiculous.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 12, 2006
[quote="Chocoholic"]Well whatever you think of the paper, it's happening around the UK. Other papers have run stories as such.
could it be that JEW man who owns all the news papers writting thing to get the general public to dislike mussies? :wink: :wink:
Bogus-Borgas
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 13, 2006
No, not at all, you totally miss the point. The articles actually give a voice to the muslim community, who say not to blame them for the politically correct morons, and as I said before, rightly so. It's the politically correct idiots that cause all the problems.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums