Special Educational Needs In Dubai

Topic locked
special educational needs in dubai May 18, 2006
looking at moving to dubai with job, but need to do some homework first
my youngest son, 9, has a statement of special needs, and has been diagnosed as autistic, specifically moderate speech and language difficulties.
Before I approach the schools, any advice/help in suitable schools would be a great help.

many thanks, great forum !!

AEC
Dubai Forum Guest

May 19, 2006
hi there, try this site http://www.rashidc.ae/en.htm

Rashid Pediatric Therapy Centre. A fairly large, modern, well run (I have visited there a few times) centre. It relies heavily on sponsorship from the commercial sector - but is very well supported.

Multi-racial, multi-lanuage.

I'm sure there are other schools. GAB may be able to help with others this as she seems to be the education guru! :)
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 19, 2006
ooops that should read, multilingual :oops:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 19, 2006
There's also Dubai Center for Special Needs (I'm not sure if that's the correct name). At least, there was a few years ago. Not sure if it catered to expat children though.

Most mainstream schools won't or will be reluctant to register special needs students. That's not to say it's impossible - I am aware of parents who've successfully enrolled their special needs children. Can't remember which schools though. Probably DESS, JESS, English College, Dubai College, American School, Dubai American Academy would be good places to start. Maybe Regent, Winchester, Emirates International (there's others but can't remember names now).
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 19, 2006
In conversation someone mentioned a "SENSES" center and it appeared to be a place that dealt with special needs children. Sorry that's as much as I "know".
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 20, 2006
A friend of mine has an autistic child and is finding it quite hard to find the right support for his little boy. There is an autism centre in Sharjah and Dubai but my friend feels he's wasting his time taking the child there. He's 6 years old and hasn't started schooling yet. The centres don't have the facilities or the trained staff to look after the children properly and their educations are suffering very badly because of this.

My friend is saving up to take his little boy out of the country as he feels his child just won't get the help or education he needs here. He was actually refered to a very good child phsychologist in Dubai who basically told him not to bother with the centres as they're just not good enough. He's finding it very frustrating and is obviously saddened that his child isn't getting the assistance and support he despreately needs.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 20, 2006
another one you can look at is "Al Noor" (think it means "the brightness" although my arabic is very rusty).

www.alnooruae.org
alnoor00@emirates.net.ae
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 20, 2006
Mrs arniegang is by profession a Special Needs Teacher and she agrees totally with Chocs.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 20, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:another one you can look at is "Al Noor" (think it means "the brightness" although my arabic is very rusty).

www.alnooruae.org
alnoor00@emirates.net.ae

Ah, that's the one I was thinking about when I said Dubai Center for Special Needs.

I'm not really with it today :oops: ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

May 21, 2006
Actually you are probably thinking about
www.dubaiautismcenter.ae
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 28, 2006
Many thanks to one and all for sharing their knowledge and experience
Judging by the number of views and responses, SEN @ Dubai is a very sensitive area indeed. I will now speak to the schools but my gut feeling is that i will stick with the 20hrs a week that Bucks LEA has given us, the provision we have in place is too good to risk for the job on offer.

cheers again to you all, you have been a great help
AEC
AEC
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 14, 2006
For anyone interested in this delicate subject please click on the link below for more info.

http://www.expatwoman.com/vbulletin/for ... genumber=4

Hopefully the link works, failing that, www.expatwoman.com (information board), is where you need to look, page 4

more dialogue on the same issue
regards
AEC
AEC
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum