Quitting Job And Getting Paid??

Topic locked
Quitting job and getting paid?? May 14, 2007
Hello,
Another question for you all. I came to Dubai to work for a particular company which turned out to be VERY VERY VERY shady...I'm certain they were breaking all sorts of laws and I was treated very poorly, they didn't uphold the terms of my contract...basically I was very unhappy, but with reason.

So I quit, but about a week or two before pay day. They have now refused to pay me and refused to return my attested documents (luckily just my transcript and not my diploma) Is there anything I can do about this or do I just have to cut my losses?

I was working on a visit visa (because like I said they were so shady they just couldnt find the time to process my work visa) so I'm wondering if I have any rights in this situation. If anyone knows please help me out!

Thanks as always!

jenji
Dubai Forums Member

May 14, 2007
Hi there, well when i read the first part of your post i thought, yes, there are a few things you can do. Like refusing to sign your work permit cancellation form, or even heading down to the labour office.

BUT, the second part of your post puts it in perspective. Under the law if you worked on a Visit visa you have no legal rights, and i definitly would not approach the labour department for help, as you could be fined/ jailed or deported for that admission!

Additionally if your previous employer was involved in "shady dealings" I would definitly go out of my may to distance myself from them. If the get caught they often look for a "Fall guy" to pin all the crooked dealings on, in which case you could be on the list.

have no further contact with your ex-employer and cut your losses

Sorry, sad facts
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 14, 2007
Let them know that unless you receive your unpaid salary and documents that you will report their shady dealings to the authorities.
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 14, 2007
Rosbif71 wrote:Let them know that unless you receive your unpaid salary and documents that you will report their shady dealings to the authorities.

As a first threat maybe, however as dbx says you were not legal in working on a visit visa, so you have no rights, if you actually report them, you may get yourself into trouble too.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum