Bringing A Dog!

Topic locked
Bringing a dog! Jan 02, 2007
Hey there .. do any of you have any experience of bringing your dog with you when you relocated to Dubai? My husband and I might possibly be relocating in August but unless we can bring the dog, it's a no go (he's our baby!!!). The school (we're teachers) has said that we can't have him in the school provided accommodation but will have an allowance of 98,000 to rent somewhere.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Mez
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 03, 2007
Many people have dogs and bring them over. "Dubai Girl" of this forum brought 2 of them. I believe she is away for the holidays and should return soon. She will be able to help you. Her dogs came from the USA.

Depending on where you are from there may be different vaccination requirements, etc. K-9 Friends www.k9friends.com might point you in the right direction as well.

Depending on the size of the dog you might need to live in a house/villa. Note: If you are thinking of walking your dog frequently in Dubai - forget it (it is just too damn hot to walk the dog more than a few yards in june thru september) - even april and may for that matter.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 03, 2007
Hi Mez,

I brought my dog and cat over from the UK and it was a relatively easy process. You need to make sure your pooch has all the relevent vaccinations, plus you'll need export and import documentation from the country you're leaving and from the Dubai municipality. Emirates were fantastic with my furbabies.

Just be sure that if you plan to leave Dubai and take poochy back to wherever, that you're aware of those costs, quarantine etc.

If you're coming from one of the participating countries, it might be worth getting your dog into the Pet Passport Scheme before you come as this can often help when moving them around if you plan to travel somewhere else afterwards.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 03, 2007
Thanks for all your help, guys. It looks like it's not nearly as much of a problem as we'd been led to believe, which is great. He's our baby!

Are there some landlords who don't allow them? THat was our main concern rather than the vaccinations - he's up-to-date and we coming from Australia. The teacher housing won't allow us to have him there so we'll have to rent privately.

He's a labrador so the walking thing is not too much of a problem - mostly what he does now (we're in the middle of the hot bit of NSW) is lie under the air conditioning!!

Mez
Mez
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 03, 2007
Hey Mez,

Alot of landlords and various places don't allow pets, but people just tend to have them and not tell anyone.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 04, 2007
We brought our Rotweiller down from Baku, Azerbaijan and it was no problem, just follow the information left by others here and you'll be fine

We were going to fly him AZAL down to Dubai but heard of a story of a dog that arrived frozen, so we sent him via Frankfurt.....he's a well travelled pooch!

Ross :D
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum