What Is Up With The Service In This Country?!!

Topic locked
What is up with the service in this country?!! Apr 09, 2008
Just a rant:
I find the level of ineficiency in this country to be absolutely astounding. Try going out to eat with a group of 4 or more. You would think it was rocket surgery or something. Dont get me wrong, I was a waiter once, I know what its like but there are simple rules like, bring the drinks out first, bring everyones food at the same time etc. I got some Thai food the other day. The last time I ate there I ordered it spicy and it didnt quite make the cut. This time I said make it VERY SPICY thinking that if it was anything like last time it would come back medium at best. Well guess what, they actually got it that time. It was spicy all right!!! As the sweat began to pour and my face lit up like a jackolantern I reached for my drink, the one I ordered about 20 minutes ago. Wait a minute, that damn waiter never brought it! Where is he? In a panic I started waiving my arms, "Boss!" i yelled. " I need my drink pronto!". "Yes sir, right away sir". "Just stay cool" I thought "dont panic, he'll be back in a second". He came back all right, with a pen and paper to take the next tables order! Furious, I stood up. "Buddy! Im friggin Dyin over here! I really need some water". " Oh yes, right away". He dissapeared again... and never came back. I swear he was enjoying this. I stood up and staggerred into the restaurant. My eyes were filled with tears, my nose dripping snot, my mouth red and hanging open. As I entered, I tripped on the fan cord, pulling the fan into the hostess stand knocking it over and sending crayons rolling everywhere. I fell on a table full of nicely dressed english women splattering their red duck curry all over the place. Just then the waiter comes out carying not my drink but the pad thai that the rest of my table had ordered. I looked up, still dazed from the chaos to see that I had been betrayed once again. I began to try to stand up to strangle him when he slipped on the crayons and his foot hit me square in the jaw. As I woke up, and my vision returned, I saw several people standing around, in the middle was a strange yellowish blob. It started moving. "What is that" I tried to say but before I could, it fell and hit me right in the face. It was my friends pad thai! It had stuck to the cieling when the waiter slipped! Embarrased, and ashamed, I left. I never did get my drink. I still have hot recovered my sense of taste or smell, and my hair smells like scrambled eggs.

Tried opening a bank account. I have been trying for 3 weeks with Standard Chartered to get a bank account open. My god! the application was delayed for 2 weeks because the person to forgot to fill out the "Land Mark" field for my home adress back in the US. When I finally got there to correct the problem and found out that that was the only thing wrong, I nearly lost it. Landmark? are you kidding me? I know they cant seem to get the concept of a postal address here but in the states, the postal service actually works. You write down the address, and guess what: it gets there! There is no "go 4 Km past the big dune and make a left at the camel". So anyway, they told me 3 days, 4 go by, then they say tomorrow, I call the next day and they say 3 more days "Inshallah". Thats the word of the day folks. It might as well be the national slogan. It basically means " yea maybe it will get done maybe it wont, I dont care either way so shove it". Inshallah I wont have an aneurism next time I talk to these people!

Anyway, thats my rant for the day. I feel much better now.

maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2008
I would love to have been an observer in that restaurant :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 09, 2008
sage & onion wrote:I would love to have been an observer in that restaurant :lol:

observer with a handycam :D
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2008
SparHawk wrote:
sage & onion wrote:I would love to have been an observer in that restaurant :lol:

observer with a handycam :D

would have been one of the best restaurant scenes since meg ryan in 'when harry met sally' :D
SparHawk
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2008
we just lost about 2000 USD on a small deal because of the astonishing idiocy of bank workers. They repeatedly made big mistakes and charged us for it.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 09, 2008

Your not the only one :lol:
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 09, 2008
Welcome to Dubai. Inshallah.

In 2 years time you will either -
(a) have pulled all your hair out
(b) left Dubai
(c) got used to it like the rest of us
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2008
admog wrote:Welcome to Dubai. Inshallah.

In 2 years time you will either -
(a) have pulled all your hair out
(b) left Dubai
(c) got used to it like the rest of us

Dont worry, I dont let it get to me too much. At some point you realize certain things cant be controlled and getting pissed off is a waste of time. So far the list is traffic, waiters, bank workers, any form of paperwork, and the legal system. Dubai is still fun, the weather is still nice for now 8)
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 09, 2008
Oh lordy lord, did you guys actually forget that you were living in a third world country for a second?!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 09, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Oh lordy lord, did you guys actually forget that you were living in a third world country for a second?!

I rest my case
firefingers

Apr 09, 2008
a well funny story - hey mate its a good job we didn't post what happened when you came with us to the JBH fpr a meal

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 10, 2008
awww that is one thing i dont miss, horrible service. when i had come back to visit my family in december i yelled at the manager of one of the places in the irish village...the service was HORRIBLE!(i also work as a waitress/bartender for the time being) at first he said he was just sorry and offered us a desert, i told him he had better pick up the tab if he was really sorry and it worked!

next time (and yes, there will be a next time) try doing that :wink:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 10, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Oh lordy lord, did you guys actually forget that you were living in a third world country for a second?!

Chocs,

Dubai / UAE is certainly not classed as "Third World" it is classed as developing, their is a vast difference.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 10, 2008
sage & onion wrote:

Chocs,

Dubai / UAE is certainly not classed as "Third World" it is classed as developing, their is a vast difference.

wikipedia.org wrote:In academic circles, the countries of the Third World are known as the "Global South", the "developing countries" ,and the "under-developed countries". Economic development workers refer to these nations as the "Two-thirds World" and "The South". Some developers disapprove of the "developing countries" term because the term implies that industrialization is progressive.[citation needed]

I think they are practicaly the same. developing is the politically correct term.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 10, 2008
it really depends on whos talking, I mean which side of the divide that is....then west usually refer to them as third world countries, while the the so called 3rd world countries refer to themselves as developing, a political spin to satisfy their electorate.

Anyway, this level of inefficiency exist and will continue to exist in any part of the world.... 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 10, 2008
if only there where more ppl like me :D
guest999

Apr 10, 2008
Not_Sure wrote:if only there where more ppl like me :D

so?
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 10, 2008
theres a old saying back in England.

"Paki if you dont like it here go back to your country".
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 13, 2008
you are a good story teller buddy

the bank story worries me far more than sloppy food service thou. i trust things are not at the point of ~ "ya, maybe we will wire your payment to your supplier...but maybe not" hahaha

...crossing fingers things are better organized in the free trade zones... (??) :)
jwvgoethe
Dubai Forum User

Apr 13, 2008
jwvgoethe wrote:you are a good story teller buddy

the bank story worries me far more than sloppy food service thou. i trust things are not at the point of ~ "ya, maybe we will wire your payment to your supplier...but maybe not" hahaha

...crossing fingers things are better organized in the free trade zones... (??) :)

I heard JAFZA is run by the most incompetent people ever. Like how it takes a year to get a trade licence for a shop in International City, or how it takes eight months to get electricity for your office in JAFZA itself.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 13, 2008
jwvgoethe wrote:you are a good story teller buddy

Thanks,
the bank story gets better. On saturday I was informed that my loan will be put on hold because my salary certificate did not specify whether the figure was per annum or per month. As far as Jafza is concerned, from my experience with them, they are just as much of a waste of time, space and air as the bank workers are. T.I.D. I suppose (this is Dubai), not much we can do about it.
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 13, 2008
arniegang wrote:a well funny story - hey mate its a good job we didn't post what happened when you came with us to the JBH fpr a meal

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, definitely. Good to remember that you are no longer at the top of the food chain
maximusprime
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 20, 2008
Going by the superb architectural developments and engineering feats that I see on the web-site www , I can't see how some of you can call Dubai a Third World country,just because of a few poor waiters. There is plenty of poor service and many a surly waiter in England.
I reckon you get good and bad service everywhere. But how can you call a place that builds luxury accommodation on Palm Islands out at sea and the tallest buildings in the world, Third World? Beats me. Is that stuff on www not true? Dubai seems more First World than many European countries. Have you seen the litter in parts of the UK?
traveller
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2008
traveller wrote:Going by the superb architectural developments and engineering feats that I see on the web-site www , I can't see how some of you can call Dubai a Third World country,just because of a few poor waiters. There is plenty of poor service and many a surly waiter in England.
I reckon you get good and bad service everywhere. But how can you call a place that builds luxury accommodation on Palm Islands out at sea and the tallest buildings in the world, Third World? Beats me. Is that stuff on www not true? Dubai seems more First World than many European countries. Have you seen the litter in parts of the UK?

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!! Shut up you retard!!!! Its boring now!!!
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 20, 2008
Retard? I can't believe some of the rudeness you exhibit on an international forum on Dubai. Why have you gone out there? To look after number one and dodge taxes,is it? Well you have been brought in by the Dubai Govt to build a tourist infrastructure, and here you are really insulting potential tourists. Unbelievable! I am actually a free-lance writer who contributes articles to the Daily Telegraph , amongst other newspapers. Your rudeness is giving me marvellous ammunition.
I was thinking of investing in some gold, which was why I entered "dubai gold souk" into Google and found that visit-dubai.co.uk site at the top.
I shall relate this tale in a leading UK newspaper. The Dubai government won't be too pleased when 2 million readers learn of your profound rudeness.
traveller
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2008
Oh no not a free lance writer..... Scary!!!

To think I single handedly disrupted the Dubai tourist industry.

You are not a writer you are a retard who has no knowledge of how to use a forum. Stop the spam and you will be welcomed. Continue the spam and you will be flamed. It's very simple.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 20, 2008
Huh oh no Traveller, haven't you heard that you can't possibly ever write anything bad about Dubai? Sheikh Mo will be on your back.

Sarcasm aside - The problem is Dubai always wants the biggest, best etc etc, but the problem is that much of the time the basic infrastructure is missing, that would be in place in other countries.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 20, 2008
XPClone wrote:Oh no not a free lance writer..... Scary!!!

To think I single handedly disrupted the Dubai tourist industry.

You are not a writer you are a retard who has no knowledge of how to use a forum. Stop the spam and you will be welcomed. Continue the spam and you will be flamed. It's very simple.

I totally second that.....this traveller has nothing to do but engage anyone with his/her unfounded rantings...
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 20, 2008
With insulting dicks , like XP clone working out there you can keep the place.
UK newspaper readers will be very interested in the sort of ignoramus that is being attracted from the UK to work out in Dubai.
XP clone seems to have his nose in everything on this forum.
He needs to learn GOOD MANNERS!!
Get a life! Pal!!
traveller
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2008
Reviewer.
Wrong again !! YOU engaged me ! Check back and see the mote in thine own eye!!.....The one THAT WORKS!!!!
traveller
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat