How Did This Happen????

Topic locked
How did this happen???? May 12, 2010
How did this guy get through Kennedy Airport Security undetected???? No way he managed this by himself.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37103160/ns ... ?GT1=43001

CAIRO - Police have detained an American-Egyptian man who arrived in Cairo on a flight from New York with several weapons in his luggage, airport officials said Wednesday

The officials said the man was taken into custody as he tried to pass through customs with a metal box containing two 9 mm handguns, 250 bullets, several swords, daggers and knives.

The box had been checked and the contents were discovered during a routine inspection upon arrival on an Egypt Air flight from New York's JFK International Airport in Cairo, according to the officials. They said customs inspectors were then alerted and the man was detained.

He was only identified as a botany teacher.

A police official confirmed the man was questioned by agents of the powerful State Security Apparatus and the case had been turned over to prosecutors for further investigation.

All officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to reporters.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: How did this happen???? May 12, 2010
Mmm there was also a report recently about a Pakistani man that managed to nearly board a flight from Dubai terminal 1 bound for Pakistan, although the story that was released here was twisted to say the flight was outbound from there - oh dear oh dear.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: How Did This Happen???? May 12, 2010
Chocs, the guy went through security at JFK (high security as they profess!) and his luggage went through the scanning and no one caught it, unless the guy who was overseeing the scanner nodded off and missed it, which is highly unlikely. Has to be an insider he was working with.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nothing out of the ordinary. I flew to Dubai from NY, with a 50 cal riffle and 45 auto pistol in my luggage.
When you have a weapon permit in the US, you are allowed to take them onboard but in the cargo bay, you check them at US customs, declare them to the plane crew, and that s it. This guy probably did not have the permit from Egyptian authorities to bring them and that s why he got in trouble. I doubt guns could be snuck in and be undetected through all the checks and X rays machines.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Is that to say you had a permit - in advance - from the Dubai authorities to bring them in? If I recall you said that the police kept your rifle....when you referred to the incident with the bullet. As I said, possibly someone inside???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

another question....................

how did 19 highjackers (some with knives) get onto 5 planes in various airports in the US?

The answer to Bora's and my question is "the americans are totally incompetent when it comes to security"

Other questions that also fit into this category are

"why didn't the Americans realize that the Japs were on their way to kick the sh1t out of them at Pearl Harbour even after being told it was imminent and planes were spotted but certain ranks didnt answer the phone because it was 7am on a sunday morning" ?

and..

after 9/11 how did the good old homeland security let someone on a plane with a bomb in his shoe?

:P
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

arniegang wrote:another question....................

how did 19 highjackers (some with knives) get onto 5 planes in various airports in the US?

The answer to Bora's and my question is "the americans are totally incompetent when it comes to security"

Other questions that also fit into this category are

"why didn't the Americans realize that the Japs were on their way to kick the sh1t out of them at Pearl Harbour even after being told it was imminent and planes were spotted but certain ranks didnt answer the phone because it was 7am on a sunday morning" ?

and..

after 9/11 how did the good old homeland security let someone on a plane with a bomb in his shoe?

:P

I for one will say that I am not at all impressed with the people who are security at JFK. They looked like they were pushed off welfare and forced to take the jobs. :lol: So it could have been security, the lack thereof, or, still the possibility that there was someone inside.

The shoe bomber was Richard Reid from the UK. He boarded the plane with the shoe bomb in Paris, France on a flight traveling to Miami, Florida.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

ohhhhhhhhhh i thought he boarded in the US :oops:

True story - 2 years last Feb me and the family (6) boarded at Boston, Logan. I had broken my shoulder the previous day and yup it hurt and arm in sling obviously.

Mr I have a Uniform with Homeland Security Badges everywhere asked me to step aside. He asked me to remove my sling, jumper and shirt for a search before i go through the scanner. Obviously i objected due to the fact i was in fekin agony but he would have none of it and threatened to pull me out to wait for a doctor and i would miss my flight.

It wasn't so much the request but his manner and attitude was disgraceful in the way he spoke to me, a few "sirs" or even a "please" would have helped the situation.

Then another one picked on my eldest son who, as it happens was on his 14 day RnR from Afganistan. Even after being presented with British Army ID and papers they still continued to address and treat him with total dis-respect.

To be quite frank i dont think those twats would spot a bomber or terrorist unless he was wearing big red false nose, a yellow curly wig, a silly hat with Coco the Clown written on it, a lage daffodil hanging from one lapel and a large badge on his other lapel saying "I am a Al Quada Bomber", even then i have my doubts they would question him.
arniegang

What do you expect from an angry former welfare recipient who has to work for his income?? Of course he is going to be p*ssed off and take it out on everyone.

I would think that you would require at the very least a high school diploma to get that job, but then again, who knows?? Maybe if they did find a gun on you they would have slipped it in their pocket for the holdup at the local grocery store on the way home because most of them talk and look like they from the hood. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Oh boo hoo look is this a serious thread that no one is trashing because I didn't start it.

I hope one does get through and blows the lot of you up!

Boo freaking hoo!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Too bad discrimination laws prevent security officers to focus on their job. Who are the bombers and terrorists, old lady with grocery bags, blond hair guy, Mother of 3 from Michigan? No, all the bad guys, without exceptions are ARABS, unshaved heinous faces. So we should check ARABS instead of everybody else because they are the ones who want to blow themselves up.
capsicum
BANNED

Arabs huh?? Only Arabs are terrorists. You need to shut up now, OK??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:Arabs huh?? Only Arabs are terrorists. You need to shut up now, OK??

Muslims, sorry....
capsicum
BANNED

You still need to shut up.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:You still need to shut up.

Shut up, why, because it is true?
Statistics don't lie, visit and learn!
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu8LEA.tLb ... fatalities
capsicum
BANNED

Re: How did this happen???? May 13, 2010
capsicum wrote:Too bad discrimination laws prevent security officers to focus on their job. Who are the bombers and terrorists, old lady with grocery bags, blond hair guy, Mother of 3 from Michigan? No, all the bad guys, without exceptions are ARABS, unshaved heinous faces. So we should check ARABS instead of everybody else because they are the ones who want to blow themselves up.

This is very true only with the exception of Osama Bin Granny Mae (87) and her infamous Wal Mart bag full of vegatables - beware she throws a mean left swing with that bag.

:mrgreen:
arniegang

Re: How Did This Happen???? May 13, 2010

Bora, you have to admit that terrorists are rather seen chanting "Allahu akbar!”--“ than "Our Father who art in Heaven"...
As for my guns, I had permission from Dubai to bring them, so I was not arrested, but they confiscated them until I get a Dubai license, which never happened. I got in trouble only 3 years later when they accused me of being a hit man.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

herve wrote:

Bora, you have to admit that terrorists are rather seen chanting "Allahu akbar!”--“ than "Our Father who art in Heaven"...
As for my guns, I had permission from Dubai to bring them, so I was not arrested, but they confiscated them until I get a Dubai license, which never happened. I got in trouble only 3 years later when they accused me of being a hit man.

Dont you think its about time you moved on Herve ? I mean, you're not exactly Indianna Jones.

:roll:
arniegang

Why is that people are always more comfortable with fictious characters, totally unrealistic, in movies designed for 10 years old's, but never beleive the real deals happening right under their nose. It is no just me going in the middle of the ocean on a rubber boat (try it!!!) but also spies who came to the UAE to eliminate a terrorist in his hotel. You like movies?, you got them right there.
I will move on after my name has been cleared, and after it is proven that I was wrongfully convicted and maliciously prosecuted. In the mean time my book got its second award.
Anyways I was merely mentionning that guys boarding an airplane with guns, it happens all the time, it happened to me, but it is probably more exciting to beleive that they snuke the guns. You can't get a stappler on a plane in NY without the security knowing, explosives ...that s a different task. so stop the fantasies. The guy was allowed to check in his guns. Besides, how good is a gun in the cargo bay?
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

arniegang wrote:
herve wrote:

Dont you think its about time you moved on Herve ? I mean, you're not exactly Indianna Jones.

:roll:

Whats this for nonsense Arnie? Jealous?

He aint Indiana Jonesy, his name is Jaubert, Herve Jaubert.
Nickname: Bond, James Bond :P

An asset to DF. Especially when it comes to Dubai business experience, intelligence and submawines. :wink:
RobbyG

herve wrote:Why is that people are always more comfortable with fictious characters, totally unrealistic, in movies designed for 10 years old's, but never beleive the real deals happening right under their nose. It is no just me going in the middle of the ocean on a rubber boat (try it!!!) but also spies who came to the UAE to eliminate a terrorist in his hotel. You like movies?, you got them right there.
I will move on after my name has been cleared, and after it is proven that I was wrongfully convicted and maliciously prosecuted. In the mean time my book got its second award.

I think that I may have even been 10 when I saw the movie. But I still found it hard to believe that rocks can become red hot by chanting at them.
How about you Arnie?
What did your book get an award for herve?
Best fictional novel?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

People who work in the third world, have learned alot from their business partners. Never thrust anyone. Proof provided by the infidels above, Benwj and Arnie. ;)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:People who work in the third world, have learned alot from their business partners. Never thrust anyone. Proof provided by the infidels above, Benwj and Arnie. ;)

I trust anyone who will have a beer with me Robby G.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

You gonna get your fingers burned bigtime, some day in the future. Seriously :D
RobbyG

Re: How did this happen???? May 14, 2010
Wow, lots of non-sense replies without knowing the facts :roll:

How did 'this" happen????

Simple,

The guns were in checked luggage. Security screens checked luggage for explosives since fire arms are inaaccessible to passanagers once in the cargo hold. Neverthelesss, the passenger is required to declare to the airline (who is responsible for it) that fire arms are in the checked luggages which is the reason for the "news" story.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat