Getting Some Today?

Topic locked
Getting some today? Jan 11, 2011
Looks dark and ominous outside. Wonder if it will rain? Tis that time of year!

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Getting some today? Jan 11, 2011
dubaidog wrote:Looks dark and ominous outside. Wonder if it will rain? Tis that time of year!

Certainly the time to get some. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: Getting some today? Jan 11, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:
dubaidog wrote:Looks dark and ominous outside. Wonder if it will rain? Tis that time of year!

Certainly the time to get some. :lol:

i got some last night :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: Getting Some Today? Jan 11, 2011
I've been getting more than I can handle here - almost 24hrs straight! :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I've been getting more than I can handle here - almost 24hrs straight! :D

Not sored :shock:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Nah,just wet! :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Hope you don't step in any puddles. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

On the same note...we are hoping the rain lets up in Australia. We are 2m away from losing everything we own. Just got off the phone with Brisbane and it is not looking good. Anyone know someone with a big truck in Brisbane?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:On the same note...we are hoping the rain lets up in Australia. We are 2m away from losing everything we own. Just got off the phone with Brisbane and it is not looking good. Anyone know someone with a big truck in Brisbane?

vertically or horizontally?
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:On the same note...we are hoping the rain lets up in Australia. We are 2m away from losing everything we own. Just got off the phone with Brisbane and it is not looking good. Anyone know someone with a big truck in Brisbane?

Oh that s terrible! Today at lunch we were talking about this flood. My friend said based on TV news, there was floating houses on the water!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:

Oh that s terrible! Today at lunch we were talking about this flood. My friend said based on TV news, there was floating houses on the water!

I'm waiting for DD's answer but if the answer is 2M vertically - he has nothing to worry about...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

^^^what if he answers 1 mm horizontally? then maybe you'd be able to help more efficiently! :D
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

DD, that would be just your luck eh! Geez, I hope the flooding stops and that your property won't be damaged or destroyed.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Just got off the phone with ^ian^ and he said all is good. He moved our stuff to the top floor, but will go back and check tomorrow morning. Will still be in panic mode till then.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

So great that he's there to help out! My fingers are crossed for all of you guys that everyone will stay safe and as little possible will be damaged. Hope you've got insurance that covers it!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

dubaidog wrote:Just got off the phone with ^ian^ and he said all is good. He moved our stuff to the top floor, but will go back and check tomorrow morning. Will still be in panic mode till then.

DD those floods are absolutely horrific! I can't imagine how long it's going to take Australia to get over this. It was 66 missing when I was watching Sky this morning, I bet that rises considerably when they get to those outlying places. Those poor people. I hope your place is ok.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

DD, watching what is going on in Australia reminds me of the damage down to Louisiana as a result of Hurricane Katrina. I hope the Aussie government has a plan.

Hope you get through this with as little damage as possible. Also hope all your loved ones and friends are safe and sound.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Thanks all for your wishes. I am keeping track by the hour. All our friends and family are safe. One might lose her house overnight in one of the suburbs. Fortunately, her tennants got all their stuff out and got to higher ground. She hated that house and is fully insured, so either way, win-win for her. We are not so lucky. We could not insure our goods after shipping as they were not going to a residence. We could only insure the goods in transit for 'total loss".

Fortunately, a friend is there and is prepared to make sure the stuff is on higher ground. At the end of the day, it is just "stuff"...however a lifetime of memories and everything we own. I don't care so much about the furnishings, just our personal things and most certainly my recording studio equipment and audio visual gear. I could never afford to replace any of it in this lifetime, and it is my business venture in Australia. The river is supposed to crest between 1-3am then again at 4pm tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Its very hard not being there isn't it DD.
I imagine looking at the plaques halfway up the side of downtown buidings from the 74 flood and its hard to believe that the water is going to be at least that high again, esp since 2 dams have been built since then to prevent it.

As for Toowoomba, Its on the top of a mountain range for christ's sake and the last place you'd expect to flood. Unbelievable!

On a lighter note, I cringe ever time I hear Jullia Gillard on the TV/Radio being beemed all over the world as the top story. Now everyone with think that all the Australian woman ARE Kath&Kim clones. Look at Meeee, Look at Meeee.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

It is very hard not being there. I was fine till the father in law called this am. Have been a bag of nerves since. I would have packed up and moved to high ground by now. Gillard on the news is shocking. Looks like she just learned to read.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

I am sure you are in good hands with Ian, now that is a name I haven't heard for a while.
Tell him that we are looking for a decent mod.
benwj

benwj wrote:Its very hard not being there isn't it DD.
I imagine looking at the plaques halfway up the side of downtown buidings from the 74 flood and its hard to believe that the water is going to be at least that high again, esp since 2 dams have been built since then to prevent it.

As for Toowoomba, Its on the top of a mountain range for christ's sake and the last place you'd expect to flood. Unbelievable!

On a lighter note, I cringe ever time I hear Jullia Gillard on the TV/Radio being beemed all over the world as the top story. Now everyone with think that all the Australian woman ARE Kath&Kim clones. Look at Meeee, Look at Meeee.

I was watching Ms Gillard giving her little speech this morning and I did think what a strange accent she has got! It seemed as if someone was telling her what to say in an earpiece. It wasn't her best TV moment.
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Getting Some Today? Jan 12, 2011
I've been up since 5am following this. 2 hours ago, the water was 2m from the door and Ian can't get there as he is running into roadblocks and water. The high tide still needs to hit. Not a happy dog at this point.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

benwj wrote:I am sure you are in good hands with Ian, now that is a name I haven't heard for a while.

He might be still around.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sorry to hear the news DD - I hope your family and friends ( and your stuff) remain safe.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Thanks all. Just talked to Ian, he made it there after about 2 hours. They are forklifting all of our goods to the top floor, so that *should* be okay. The river is expected to crest in a couple of hours, then again in the middle of the night. Family and friends are all on high ground, just trapped on little suburban islands, but they will be fine. Like I said, I know it is just "stuff"...but it is all we have for when we set up in Australia. Appliances and couches can be replaced but wedding pics, etc. cannot. I have never been in this position before and being half a world away does not help with the anxiety.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

You are right - "stuff is stuff", but those tangibles that have sentimental value can't be replaced and it would certainly take a great expense to rebuild your livelihood. Also, it's nice to know that you have good friends to help when you need it - irreplaceable!!!! - especially at a time like this.

Keep us posted!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Flying Dutchman wrote:
benwj wrote:I am sure you are in good hands with Ian, now that is a name I haven't heard for a while.

Assuming its the same ian, thats the impression I got from DD anyway.
What a help he has been, forklifting stuff to the second floor. Thats great!
benwj

benwj wrote:
Flying Dutchman wrote:

Assuming its the same ian, thats the impression I got from DD anyway.
What a help he has been, forklifting stuff to the second floor. Thats great!

Yes, benwj, it is the same Ian of yesteryear. He just sent me through some pics from the area. The peak will hit around 10pm our time, 4am local time. I see now that the good folk that run the storage place were proactive enough to get into our shed and move it to the upper levels. Nothing more can be done now, just hope. As Ian said on the phone, if the water reaches the upper level, we are all in trouble.

I looked at the pics and thought "where is the water?", then saw the one about 2m to the right of the frame and it looks like a lake! It is great to have a friend like that who will snap the pics and make the effort just for piece of mind.

FD, he does not post here anymore, I can assure you of that.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

From what I have read the water is going to rise another 2 meters max. So if it is still at ground level, you should be OK DD. They also tend to exagerate these figures if that is any comfort.
benwj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat