Buying/Selling Vehicles In Dubai

Topic locked
Buying/Selling vehicles in Dubai Jul 21, 2010
I am all for a good bit of haggling, but it seems to me some people need a kick in the nuts when it comes to the skill. I went through this before when I sold my BMW. I did my research on the year, mileage, condition, etc. and listed the sled for what was a FAIR price-AED 24,000. I had all the jackholes calling saying they would give me 6 grand or 10 grand. They kept explaining they were "cash buyers" (great, it is a 10 year old car for 24K). One guy comes out, sees it and says, ok, 8K last price. I told him I would sooner smash it into a wall than accept that offer. A few weeks go buy, and countless hours wasted showing it, until this dude comes by, let's call him "Educated Consumer". He did his inspection, said he had one more to see, and then ring me. Alas, later that evening, he said he would come back with 24k in cash, as the car represented good value and a fair price. Car sold, saw him a year later and he was still loving it.

I am beginning the process of selling my Prado now, I am meeting "Educated Consumer's" evil twin..."Economic Expert". I did the same for my Prado as I did for the BMW before listing it...did my research, etc before pricing it. Seems everyone that calls now says "in these tough economic times...people losing jobs....things aren't worth what they were...used car market is bad". If one more d-bag lectures me on why I should accept a pittance for a perfectly good buggy I am going to flip. Apparently it WOULD have been worth asking price before the crash, but now it is "too much less". I have just resolved to let "Educated Consumer" find me once again, as I am not driving all over town to sell this buggy .

I just returned from showing the Prado to a dude, "Clueball Prospective Sale", and he brought his cousin, "Knowledgeable Buddy". I have not met one of those in years. "Knowledgeable buddy" had decided the truck had been in an accident before he got out of his own car because "car is too clean, under bonnet, screws too nice". Oh god. As Knowledgeable Buddy spoke to Clueball P. Sale in Russian, I could tell by his gestures as he pointed things out on the truck that clearly he must have worked for Toyota engineering in the past and this was going no where. He also said the yellow primer was so obvious the vehicle had been re-painted.

It turns out, apparently my vehicle has been hit on the driver's side in the past and re-painted, and he could tell because the battery mount was different, as well as the headlight seal was different than the other. I guess the service history indicating a replaced headlight LAMP and a new Heavy-Duty battery didn't carry much weight. And I guess I failed to mention that the yellow "primer" was in fact rust-proofing I never mentioned in the ad.

If anyone knows if Educated Consumer is still in Dubai, let me know.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Buying/Selling vehicles in Dubai Jul 24, 2010
Why would "Educated Consumer" be interested in the Prado if he's happy with your old BMW??? Unless you're looking for his other twin, The "Educated Consumer's Good Twin!!" who happens to be looking for a Prado to buy!!!!!!

Good luck finding him, mate!!!!

:) :)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Buying/Selling Vehicles In Dubai Jul 24, 2010
I bought and sold a lot of cars in Dubai. 1st of all never advertise it in the papers, as thats where the majority of "cash buyers" are. Only online. I find dubizzle to be brilliant. I do a nice write up post some nice pictures and never put up my phone number.

This way 90% of riff raff already get sorted out. After a few mails you can basically judge what kind of person your dealing with. You will get 10k cash offer valid only for today types online aswell but not many and they usually get told off or ignored.

Since I was doing it on the side as kind of a bussiness. Once I had found out the person was a genuine buyer then first thing I would do is tell its no point talking on th ephone. Have a look at it at yourself. Since I was in Shj at that time and I knew no one would come out there I would offer to meet them at atime and place of their choosing.

Not only do you need an educated buyer you need to be an educated seller aswell, And answer any question without any hesitation. Also gotta be a bit of spinner if you know what I mean ;) Hey whats that yellow stuff. Its rust proofing done from al futtaim. Hey how come one head lamp is dull and the other one is all shiny and new. O mate I had a small stone hit from a lorry which cracked the lens and since I had full insurance I thought I get a new one. Been meaning to change the other one but been very busy lately. Hey tell you what a new one costs 375. I'll cut that off the price and have it even fitted for you...etc etc ..if you get my drift

What are the details of your car I know its a prado but what is it a SWB LWB VX GX options package etc etc ? and most inportantly of all how much your asking for it ?

Straight up. If you want I can help you sell that "sled" for a little incentive if you want. If your stuff is good and priced right than no reason it should not sell . Specially being a toyota
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Buying/Selling vehicles in Dubai Jul 25, 2010
Thanks for all the input DDS. I stuck it in Gulfnews, as well as Dubizzle. I do as you say and screen the losers out first. I don't understand how people make offers without seeing it. I ignore the low-ball texts and emails as well. This weekend had the family-types come out and see. Everyone seems to think it is a fire sale, even though I have 4 cars in the lot. I simply don't need it anymore.

I based the price on looking at all the same year and same fitout on Dubizzle. I think I got it right. The only thing I am not sure of is what people are actually getting for theirs. Asking 80k, selling for 60? No clue.

PM sent.

-- Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:45 am --

desertdudeshj wrote:Straight up. If you want I can help you sell that "sled" for a little incentive if you want. If your stuff is good and priced right than no reason it should not sell . Specially being a toyota

As far as incentive, I can offer you about 4 liters of gin and various other English booze I will never touch. Further to that, I have a variety of livestock you may help yourself to.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:As far as incentive, I can offer you about 4 liters of gin and various other English booze I will never touch. Further to that, I have a variety of livestock you may help yourself to.

Ooooh...got any Gnu?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:
dubaidog wrote:As far as incentive, I can offer you about 4 liters of gin and various other English booze I will never touch. Further to that, I have a variety of livestock you may help yourself to.

Ooooh...got any Gnu?

Knight

No more Gnu...muskox though. Perhaps a cat or two?
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

dubaidog wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:

Ooooh...got any Gnu?

Knight

No more Gnu...muskox though. Perhaps a cat or two?

It all tastes like chicken!

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat