Legal/Illegal Car Parts?

Topic locked
Legal/Illegal Car Parts? Oct 01, 2007
Hello, I just moved to Dubai and recently bought myself a Mazda 3 (Gun Metal Grey) and I am hoping to 'rice' it up a little bit, maybe add an exhaust/air intake and a good quality sound system, but my question is...

What is legal for Dubai (Will pass annual inspection) and what won't...

Also, if anyone could possibly give me a few good garages or auto shops that I can buy the parts from and have them install for cheap (Not stabbing me in the eye because i'm a foreigner)

Thanks in advance.

Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 01, 2007
no offense but save your money and buy a more powerful car. IMO there is no point in making a 100bhp faster. wish they brought the more powerful engines here, the mazda 3 handles quite well and dare i say better than the current civic?
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 01, 2007
I would buy a more powerful car but im only 18 years old and I am currently a student w/ no joke (piggy backing money off my parents) they bought it for me, they said I could do what I want with it, but my dad would probably murder me if I decided that I wanted a new car, since ive only had it 2 weeks.

hahaha

Drivin many cars (during the time I was lookin to buy one)

Honda Jazz/Civic
Suzuki Swift
Mazda 3
Chevy Opel
Peugot 206RC//307

and I have to say Mazda3 was by far the quickest and best for the price, and the handling is amazing.. compared to my mom's Focus (which you can feel every single bump or mini-pot holes)

*note the Peugot 206RC was definatly faster, but because I am 18, I can't get anything Super fast because insurance company will tell me to stick it where the sun don't shine, and my also this is my 'first' car of sorts and it's sort of a trail period for getting a new car in a year or so..

So if you could please give me any good suggestions or ideas about my previous post, I would be thankful.

*note2* Sorry for ranting about my life, i'm sure it's not that interesting.
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 02, 2007
for audio and tints you can try HSV on SZR

for bolt on mods, try www.evolve.ae

maybe some other memebers can chip in with more suggestions.

please dont put on a sharjah body kit and ghetto rims. for audio goto somone who actually knows what they are doing.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 02, 2007
The Mazda 3 1.6 isn't really faster than any of your other options. It just makes a lot of noise giving the feeling of speed, but since you already bought the car, no point going on about this.

It is obvious you bought the car to save money in the long run. Do the stereo if doesn't play MP3s. But don't go overboard with extra speakers because the workmanship around here is crap if you don't pay extra for those pricier installers such as Sound on Wheels. Replace the speakers and add an amplifier if you have to. Add a heavy subwoofer if you want, but I feel it is a waste of space if you get decent speakers.

Those cheap mufflers won't add anything except noise unless you pay thousands for a complete exhaust makeover. The intake is an option, but make sure you get a Mazda-specific product so no ghetto modifications are required to make it fit.

Also, look into rims and wider tyres to improve handling. I don't have any experience with Sharjah rims. I feel they look good, but some say they bend easily.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 02, 2007
Alright but going back to my orginal post, is it legal to do that? Legal being, it WILL pass annual inspection, I really don't wanna get an exhaust/intake if I have to take it off all the time to pass tests
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

Oct 02, 2007
im pretty sure it will pass with an intake.
the exhaust depends on how loud it is, a small growl sound will be fine but if your car looks even a bit 'ricerish' you can expect it to fail the tests even with just an intake.
rims shouldnt be a problem. just make sure you dont go overboard with the tyre upsize. overall diameter should be the same, no point putting 19-20inchers on a 100bhp car.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 03, 2007
Cybix wrote:Alright but going back to my orginal post, is it legal to do that? Legal being, it WILL pass annual inspection, I really don't wanna get an exhaust/intake if I have to take it off all the time to pass tests

Everything I said is totally legal.

I have a heavily-modded Supra Turbo, and it takes major wasta to get that passed, so I know what you're worried about. Only heavy engine and suspension-cutting mods are trouble.

Intakes, stereos, bodykits, mufflers (not too loud) and other small mods are legal. Strap on a turbo or nitrous, and it becomes illegal.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 06, 2007
Great, thanks guys...
Cybix
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto