Tit Bits - SKYPE Alternatives

Topic locked
Tit Bits - SKYPE alternatives Aug 22, 2006
Ok denizens of DF. I have received numerous requests from friends and forum members to help em get over the skype ban by monopolist Etisalat. Here are some services I use some of which may not work in UAE. So let's get started:-

1, GIZMO Project - It is the main rival to skype and has free calls from any landline in over 60 countries. Some restrictions do apply.

2, Wengo Another Skype like service which has IM , Video calls, free calls to Wengo users and calls to landlines for small fee

3, Internet Calls - Make free calls to all your online friends and regular phones in various popular destinations, or call any other number at the lowest rates around. I have used this and it has pretty decent rates.

4, VOIP Stunt - It is same as internet calls and has some amazing rates.

5, TESCO Another Wengo type internet phone based in UK (Thanks to Zoots)

6, Jajah - It is one of the innovative methods to get intouch with friends. All ur friends have to do is to register their phone number and open Jahjah account for free and u can call any Jahjah user using cellphone in Canada, US, HK, Taiwan , UK etc for free! Some restrictions according to site
Calls between JAJAH users are FREE under the following conditions:

* You and your friends have to use mobile or landline phone in Zone 1 (USA, Canada, China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan) or a landline phone in Zone 2 (mainly Europe)
* Your friend's phone number must be registered in JAJAH as one of his source numbers
* Your friend's account must be "active" (an account will become inactive after two weeks of no operation like a free call, a cheap call or sending a SMS)
* You have not exceeded the FAIR USE policy: 1000 minutes a month, five hours a week, 1 hour a day

Hope this guide and list of online phones may help u guys. Please keep this list among urselves and ur friends cos once there's widespread use Etisalat may ban some of em. U may publish this elsewhere provided due credit is provided.

-Sniper420

sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 22, 2006
Thank you for the post :), I'll have to explore some of those options.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 24, 2006
lemme know if it works...
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 24, 2006
Thanks man. Have you tried any of them?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 24, 2006
For the love of everything scared and precious are you dying to give Etisalat a list of other programs to block!??! Delete all that info and lock the damn thread!

Just ask who would like alternatives and PM them with it! I did that with a few persons already!
Nick81
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 30, 2006
www.jajah.com is blocked
reason "We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates. "

so im guessing the others have been blocked as well??
someone pm me with some help please :(
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 31, 2006
is there the alternative of doing video conference via msn or yahoo? ... please dont tell me they block those too?
ajb
Dubai chat master

Aug 31, 2006
ahahahah, you gotta love it how Gulf Today has a full page article on IM and VOIP programs and not once is it mentioned that they are either illegal or impossible to use here. Genius. Perhaps someone should forward the Skype petition to the editor.
Stan
Dubai Forum User

Sep 02, 2006
cheap_Deal wrote:www.jajah.com is blocked
reason "We apologize the site you are attempting to visit has been blocked due to its content being inconsistent with the religious, cultural, political and moral values of the United Arab Emirates. "

so im guessing the others have been blocked as well??
someone pm me with some help please :(

did u try others?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 05, 2006
wengo dosent connect :(
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 10, 2006
well only 2 of em works..... did u guys tried using proxies for others?
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 13, 2006
wat alternatives for VIDEO conferencing?????
and no didnt try with proxies as i have no clue as to how to do that. somone shed some light on the proxy part? can pm me too
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 13, 2006
thanks dude
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 14, 2006
Great list Sniper - thanks.

Another one thats been introduced here in the UK by the leading supermarket company is here:

http://www.tescointernetphone.com/

Not sure if or how it works - better check it works in Dubai first!!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Sep 13, 2007
Hello,

I am introducing you a new VOIP Phone, namely PC2Phone.

The following are the features of this Phone.

· Excellent Voice Clarity, just like ordinary phone , without any delay, break & echo in the conversation.

· Seconds billing (6/30 billing)...Means , Your calls will be charged in

multiples of 6 Seconds .For example, If your call lasts for only 6 sec, you will be charged only for 6 sec, not for 1 minute , unlike all other PC to phone Services. Similarly, if your call lasts for 2 minutes & 20 seconds, you will be charged for 2 minutes & 24 seconds only, not for 3 minutes, unlike other PC to Phone services.

· Resistant to blocking by ISPs like Etisalat , since it uses VOIP Tunneling by creating a VPN.

Further the rates to India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines etc, are very low.

In other words, the cash you paid for this PC2Phone Card will be worth returning.

If you would like to buy in wholesale, or want to become a reseller, Please reply to muneerkm@gmail.com with details such as How many cards you can buy per day, Commission % and preferably with mobile number.

We can provide cards at attractive reduced rates.
We can give test accounts also to check the Voice clarity.

If you would like to buy in retail, you can either send email to muneerkm@gmail.com

BE CLOSER WITH YOUR FRIENDS & RELATIVES THROUGH PC2PHONE!!!

PAY LESS & TALK MORE!!!
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai high tech talkForum Rules

Return to Dubai high tech talk