Spouse & Visa...

Topic locked
Spouse & Visa... Feb 19, 2006
Hi All,

I've got a strange question here:

I am living in Dubai on employment visa. My marriage is going through a crisis at the moment. In case I decide to divorce my wife...what will happen to her visa? (which was sponsored by me).

1. Do I need to inform any department (immigration?) about my seperation with wife? Or do I need to inform my employer?

2. Will her visa be cancelled in case of divorce?

Thanks

Mouse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Spouse & Visa... Feb 19, 2006
Dear mouse,

You have to tell your company , which can contact with immigration department. Her visa will be revoked. I think its better if you contact with your company.

PS" By the way ,u have nice name .....i am sure your wife must be having lot of cats :P
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 20, 2006
HP,

Is it possible to revoke her visa while she is out of UAE? Or her passport needs to be presented to the immigration for the process?

PS: My nick is just the 1st thing came to my mind...with my relationship in deep crisis I am hardly able to think :cry:

Thanks for your help mate
Mouse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 20, 2006
The passport has to be taken to immigration to have the cancellation stamp put in it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 20, 2006
Mouse, your last post sounds more like you're trying to keep her from coming back...
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 20, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Mouse, your last post sounds more like you're trying to keep her from coming back...

That's what crossed my mind, but I didn't want to say anything.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 20, 2006
Choco, I'm sure we're both pre-concluding something else if the latter is true... but again, I hate to assume.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 20, 2006
Guyz,

In case we end up getting seperated...I just wanted to know what & how exactly visa related things would need to be handled.

PS: sorry for being such an a** but truly my mind is not with me due to this relationship crisis...I am just lost !!!
Mouse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 20, 2006
Mouse, if you're in such a mental state atm I doubt you could comprehend nor retain any useful information anywayz. So best to focus on trying to resolve your issues before jumping 3 steps ahead towards a worse case scenario or for that matter being a 'mouse' about the whole situation.

In short, if you sponsored her as your spouse then logically if she was no longer your spouse you could not sponsor her under this banner. But as Choco has pointed out you'll need her passport to do so, which means she'll need to be in the country.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 20, 2006
And I'd like to point out that you can't work on a relationship if she isn't in the country. Also, divorces take time and if she is working here she should be allowed to keep working whether you are separated or not. She will need money to support herself after the divorce, so don't deprive her of that opportunity.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 20, 2006
And Kanelli has given you some food for thought here. If I were you I'd be finding out about the divorce process before you even consider anything to do with her visa. Typically you'll need to go through a seperation process and period (12-48 months depending on country) before you can apply for a divorce.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 20, 2006
Cheers Guyz,

My head is in a spinning wheel state...I am just not able to think at all !!!

Why would it be 12-24 months to get a divorce in UAE? Lets say...if we get seperated and she goes back home and her visa is NOT revoked...then what? Will I liable for anything? Or hypothetically speaking...I won't be able to sponsor anybody else (a pathetic question...but I just can't help myself having weired thoughts)

I wish I had an F1 button to resolve all these issues :cry:
Mouse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 20, 2006
I don't like to jumpto conclusions but it all sounds to me like there is someone else in the picture as well... so you have got a whole heap of thinking to do.

And I don't know much in relation to UAE laws in terms of marriages etc but are you a local? If not, then next question - did you get married here? If yes, then research the applicable UAE legislation, cause I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'm not a divorce attorney so no comment regarding this.

If the answer is no, then you'll need to find out what the seperation period is for your home country and abide by that.

Obviously you're messed up mentally cause you haven't shown much of an attempt to find out the legal ramifications of your actions - something which an open, general forum will not provide.

My best advice - consult a lawyer!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 20, 2006
You are right I have got a whole heap of thinking to do.

I am an expat, we got married 6 years ago NOT in UAE. Infact we arrived in UAE recently (month ago). The crack in the relation was already there before move to Dubai. But there was a hope that things might improve...obvioulsy they didn't.
Mouse
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 20, 2006
Mouse, in that case then you need to find out the applicable separation and divorce process from your home country. There's no circumventing the process just because you now reside in the UAE.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum