Terrorism In EU - The Facts

Topic locked
Terrorism in EU - the facts May 17, 2010
As promised to 'eh' - here are the statistics for terrorist acts in Europe. This article complements the one for the USA which highlighted the fact that only 94% of terrorist acts on the FBI list were carried out by Muslims, and that there were more terrorist acts by Jewish extremists on that list than by Muslims (7% vs 6%).

For the EU, the period is much shorter - 2007 to 2009 - but the result is startling.

Europol Report: All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 99.6% that Aren’t
Posted on 28 January 2010 by Danios

Europol releases an annual study of terrorism; the results do not support claims that "(nearly) all Muslims are terrorists"

Islamophobes have been popularizing the claim that “not all Muslims are terrorists, but (nearly) all terrorists are Muslims.” Despite this idea becoming axiomatic in some circles, it is quite simply not factual. In my previous article entitled “All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 94% that Aren’t”, I used official FBI records to show that only 6% of terrorist attacks on U.S. soil from 1980 to 2005 were carried out by Islamic extremists. The remaining 94% were from other groups (42% from Latinos, 24% from extreme left wing groups, 7% from extremist Jews, 5% from communists, and 16% from all other groups).

But what about across the pond? The data gathered by Europol strengthens my argument even further. (hat tip: Koppe) Europol publishes an annual report entitled EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report. On their official website, you can access the reports from 2007, 2008, and 2009. (If anyone can find the reports from earlier than that, please let me know so we can include those as well.)

The results are stark, and prove decisively that not all terrorists are Muslims. In fact, a whopping 99.6% of terrorist attacks in Europe were by non-Muslim groups; a good 84.8% of attacks were from separatist groups completely unrelated to Islam. Leftist groups accounted for over sixteen times as much terrorism as radical Islamic groups. Only a measly 0.4% of terrorist attacks from 2007 to 2009 could be attributed to extremist Muslims.

Here are the official tables provided in the reports…
For 2006:
For 2007:
For 2008:

(According to the report, there was 1 “Islamist attack” in the UK in 2008, which was omitted in the table above. It has been included in the bar graph below.)

Just glancing at those tables is enough to know how absurd it is to claim that “all terrorists are Muslims.” That statement is nowhere near the truth. If we compile the data, it comes out to this:

On p.7, the 2009 Europol report concludes:
Islamist terrorism is still perceived as being the biggest threat worldwide, despite the fact that the EU only faced one Islamist terrorist attack in 2008. This bomb attack took place in the UK…Separatist terrorism remains the terrorism area which affects the EU most. This includes Basque separatist terrorism in Spain and France, and Corsican terrorism in France…Past contacts between ETA and the FARC illustrate the fact that also separatist terrorist organizations seek cooperation partners outside the EU on the basis of common interests. In the UK, dissident Irish republican groups, principally the RIRA and the CIRA, and other paramilitary groups may continue to engage in crime and violence.

Perception is not reality. Due to the right wing’s influence and propaganda, people mistakenly think that
Islamic terrorism is the greatest threat to the Western world. It is even a commonly held belief that Islamic terrorism poses an existential threat–that the very survival of the Western world is at stake. Of course, the reality is that there are other groups that engage in terrorism on a much larger scale, yet these terrorist incidents are minimized. Acts of terrorism committed by Muslims are purposefully sensationalized and focused upon, culminating in the idea that “(nearly) all terrorists are Muslims.”

Terrorism from Islamic extremists is certainly a cause for concern, but it need not be an issue that creates mass hysteria. Nor should it be allowed to be such a critical issue that we are willing to sacrifice our ideals or civil rights for fear of it. Neither should we be reduced to a status of absolute sissitude. We have analyzed data from America and Europe (a good portion of the entire Western world), and the threat from Islamic terrorism is much more minimal than commonly assumed; in the U.S., it accounts for 6% of terrorist attacks, and in Europe not even half of a percent.

It is only through sensationalism and fear mongering that the topic of Islamic terrorism is allowed to be used to demonize a religious community that happens to be a minority in the West. When confronted by such lunacy, we ought to respond with the facts and the truth.

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Sep 26, 2010
Bump for eh - in response to the fact the UK raised the threat levels from Irish terrorism, he (bizarely) decided to post an article about France. (I know that Americans are notoriously bad at geography, but I would have guessed even he would know that the UK mainland and France are different places ... :roll: )

However, this thread reminds us all of what the statistics show for terrorism in Europe - including France and the UK - and whether the loon assertion that the threat from Islamic terrorism is the main threat is based on loon (Islamophobic) beliefs or reality.

It is the 'main threat', but only if you consider 0.6% of terror attacks as 'main' - perhaps this is another example of loonville's reality-distortion-field? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Sep 26, 2010
You have to wonder about someone's perception of the world when they try to equate someone detonating a pipe bomb in an abandoned park to Islamic terrorists who seek to inflict mass casualty attacks.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Sep 26, 2010
The stats speak for themselves - as does the fact they were compiled by Europol (and not some loon blogger).

But hey, 0 attacks in France by Islamists is a hard one to spin isn't it?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Sep 27, 2010
Well, actually they don't because the stats don't (for whatever reason) cover Russia - where, just yesterday, an Islamic activist martyred himself at a police checkpoint and a female school principal in the area was gunned down and there was a fire fight between Islamic activists and local authorities - resulting in a total of four deaths from the fire fight.

(I think that was six casualties in three separate Islamic terror attacks in the span of one day just in Dagestan alone)

But hey, you're free to continue with the loon belief that detonating a pipe bomb in an abandoned park is the same as martyrdom seekers blowing up buses or airplanes or trains....
event horizon

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Sep 27, 2010
You do like to jump around don't you?

In the thread about UK raising the threat level due to Irish terrorism (by Catholic republicans) you brought up France.

When shown that France actually has had zero Islamist terrorist attacks, you now want to look at Russia. You are funny.

As I said, it is hard to spin zero attacks in France (the truth) - especially as you chose a report about France in the other thread. I guess it is even harder to spin that 99.6% of terror attacks in the EU weren't committed by Muslims either - but it is amusing to see you try. (You do know that Russia isn't part of the EU, don't you?)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Actually France hasn't had zero Islamist terror attacks - don't know where you got that idea from.

Islamists bombed the metro in the mid nineties for awhile and there was a thwarted plan to hijack an airliner and ram it into the Eiffel Tower.

And actually, if you want to look at stats, then the vast majority of terror attacks in Europe are not carried out by Irish terrorists.
event horizon

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Sep 27, 2010
The stats, young loon, the stats.

The fact you have to go back more than a decade to find the last Islamic terror attack in France, speaks volumes. Since then, there have been hundreds of attacks in France - see the stats.

The stats show that 0.4% of attacks in the EU carried out by Islamists - nice to see you try and spin that fact, but so far, not even close.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

The stats also show that a similar percentage of terror attacks have been carried out by Irish terrorists in Europe.

Thanks for bringing this up.

But what's interesting is that security analysts and European counter-terrorism officials don't believe that Islamist terrorists who blow up 200 people in Spain, 52 in London and have had other mass casualty attacks thwarted are less of a problem than anarcho terrorists who detonate a pipebomb in an empty park.

I guess they must have an out of touch perception of reality just like everyone else who disagrees with you.
event horizon

You're most welcome.

You want to focus on the 0.4% of the terror attacks in the EU - fair enough. Every little bit helps.

I was just curious why you chose France in the other thread - perhaps after 15 years they are now due their next terror attack by Islamists (although back then it was the Algerian GIA who brought the civil war to France).

Perhaps over the next few years the % will creep up to 1%? Let's see.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

For some reason I don't think terrorism experts consider two hundred people blown up at a train station of being a little bit.

Funny how loons deflate the seriousness of Islamic terrorism.

The stats seem screwy nonetheless.

In two years, Britian had six terror attacks (two from Islamists and four from separatists) and the last chart says that Britain had 74 terror attacks - without indicating which groups carried the terror attacks out.

Obviously, there isn't consistency in your data since it's improbable that for two years Britain would average three terror attacks and another year, Britain would report 74 terror attacks.
event horizon

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Sep 28, 2010
Are you calling Europol (i.e. 'Interpol' for Europe, 'European Police') loons?

How weird. But it is not the first time that loons think they know more than the experts! :shock:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Sep 28, 2010
Interesting that eh has quoted the Jerusalem Post scaremongering about Islamic extremism - but hasn't addressed the fact that in the EU only 0.4% of terrorist acts were carried out by Muslims. (Or the stats that show that there were more terrorist attacks by Jewish terrorists than Muslims if we go back to the 70s when the JDL were bombing civilians in the US). Hmm.

When faced with evidence, it seems that the loon fall-back is to just cry wolf louder. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Sep 29, 2010
Go straighten those scaremongers out:

2010.09.27 Dagestan Makhachkala 2 1 A girl and her father are shot to death on the doorstep of their home by Muslim terrorists.
2010.09.27 India Hat Thymmai 1 2 A Hindu woman is murdered by Bangladeshi radicals.
2010.09.26 India Baramulla 1 0 Islamic militants gun down a civilian coming out of a mosque.
2010.09.26 Iraq Mosul 3 0 Two brothers shot in their home are among three people murdered by Mujahideen.
2010.09.26 Iraq Garma 4 4 Four Iraqis are blown up by Jihadi car bombers.
2010.09.26 Ingushetia Yandare 1 1 Islamists roll up on a police post and take down one officer at point-blank range.
2010.09.25 Pakistan Bahawalpur 2 6 Gunmen open fire on a rival mosque, killing at least two.
2010.09.25 Yemen Sanaa 2 8 al-Qaeda snipers fire into a police bus, taking down two occupants.
2010.09.25 Afghanistan Balkh 1 15 A civilian is blown to bits by a Fedayeen suicide bomber.
2010.09.25 Iraq Baghdad 1 0 Terrorists kill a traffic cop with an IED.
2010.09.25 Pakistan Kalat 1 0 Taliban sympathizers are suspected of shooting a driver to death and setting fire to his truck.
2010.09.24 Iraq Kohat 2 4 Two laborers are shot to death by Islamic militants.
2010.09.24 Iraq Mosul 1 2 A Shahid suicide bomber detonates at a mosque, killing a bystander.
2010.09.24 Mogadishu Hiran 2 2 Two civilians are killed during an al-Shabaab ambush.
2010.09.24 Dagestan Makhachkala 1 0 A high school principal is murdered in her home by Muslim radicals.
2010.09.24 Chechnya Grozny 3 0 Three soldiers are slain in a Jihadi ambush.
2010.09.24 Dagestan Makhachkala 2 44 Forty-four people are injured when a suicide bomber detonates along a city sidewalk.
2010.09.23 Iraq Baghdad 4 4 Four young boys under the age of ten are murdered by a Mujahid bomb attack on their car.
2010.09.23 Pakistan Landi Kotal 3 0 Three people burn to death when Islamic militants bomb an oil tanker.
2010.09.23 Iraq Taji 2 0 A man and his wife are shot to death by Holy Warriors.
2010.09.23 Thailand Pattani 2 0 Two Buddhists are shot to death by militant Muslims as they are delivering noodles to a store.

Deflect! Deflect! Deflect!
event horizon

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Sep 29, 2010
You failed Geography in school didn't you eh? And you weren't too hot when it came to stats either, were you?

So, absolutely no answer to the stats that only 0.4% of terrorist acts in Europe carried out by Muslims and that in the US the figure is 6% (with Jewish Terrorists blowing up civilians accounting for 7%!)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Terrorism in EU - the facts Dec 30, 2010
Bump - as this is now being accused of being 'misleading' for apparently counting all the terrorist attacks (bombings etc) that non-Muslims undertook in EU. :roll:

Here's the commentary on the report in the OP -still relevant today:

Perception is not reality. Due to the right wing’s influence and propaganda, people mistakenly think that
Islamic terrorism is the greatest threat to the Western world. It is even a commonly held belief that Islamic terrorism poses an existential threat–that the very survival of the Western world is at stake. Of course, the reality is that there are other groups that engage in terrorism on a much larger scale, yet these terrorist incidents are minimized. Acts of terrorism committed by Muslims are purposefully sensationalized and focused upon, culminating in the idea that “(nearly) all terrorists are Muslims.”

Terrorism from Islamic extremists is certainly a cause for concern, but it need not be an issue that creates mass hysteria. Nor should it be allowed to be such a critical issue that we are willing to sacrifice our ideals or civil rights for fear of it. Neither should we be reduced to a status of absolute sissitude. We have analyzed data from America and Europe (a good portion of the entire Western world), and the threat from Islamic terrorism is much more minimal than commonly assumed; in the U.S., it accounts for 6% of terrorist attacks, and in Europe not even half of a percent.

It is only through sensationalism and fear mongering that the topic of Islamic terrorism is allowed to be used to demonize a religious community that happens to be a minority in the West. When confronted by such lunacy, we ought to respond with the facts and the truth.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This report is totally contradicted by the secret cables (exposed by wikileaks ) between counter terrorist experts and diplomats, in which they state that the number ONE terrorist threat is ISLAMIC.
http://wikileaks.ch/cable/2006/11/06PARIS7579.html
Instead of trying to convince everybody that it is not true why dont you try to convince your fellow muslims brothers to renounce to blow themselves up and killing innocent westerners.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Terrorism In EU - The Facts Dec 30, 2010
Cables vs Statistics listing the attacks and a clear conclusion.

You're right though - one of them is wrong.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Cables vs Statistics listing the attacks and a clear conclusion.

You're right though - one of them is wrong.

Cheers,
Shafique

These cables are true, intercept of actual conversations, in the intelligence community that is rated A1.
Statistics are always subject to interpretation and rated D or F if i remember.
So are You saying that these diplomats and counter terrorists experts are wrong, and have a distorded perception?
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

One of them is wrong.

I've no evidence that the statistics are missing loads of Islamist terror attacks that were kept secret, or that they invented the real bomb blasts carried out by ETA etc.

When in doubt, I trust the evidence over the perceptions/marketing/hype. But that is just me.

It won't be the first time in recent (and ancient) history that diplomats have spun the facts to sensationalise the latest 'fashionable' risk. WMD in Iraq for example.

Herve - provide me with actual evidence that the risk isn't being sensationalised, and I will (I promise) change my view. I don't think I can be fairer than that.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:One of them is wrong.

I've no evidence that the statistics are missing loads of Islamist terror attacks that were kept secret, or that they invented the real bomb blasts carried out by ETA etc.

When in doubt, I trust the evidence over the perceptions/marketing/hype. But that is just me.

It won't be the first time in recent (and ancient) history that diplomats have spun the facts to sensationalise the latest 'fashionable' risk. WMD in Iraq for example.

Herve - provide me with actual evidence that the risk isn't being sensationalised, and I will (I promise) change my view. I don't think I can be fairer than that.

Cheers,
Shafique

Stating that counter terrorist experts are wrong is pretty arrogant of you shafique, but it does not surprise me. You are Muslim and you defend your botherhood. In the end it does not matter, they and you will lose, whatever you say is insignificant because experts are right and they are doing their job, they catch or kill these bastards before they strike. Many time it does not even make the news, and i can speak for myself.
And you are wrong with the WMD, it is not the diplomats or the experts who have spun the facts.
Your mistake is to take a list of attacks under the same label (terrorist) when they are not. Expert do not make that mistake.
Expert know the difference, knowing the difference allows them to anticipate and fight accordingly the guys who follow Islamic leadership on their way to kill 200 people, versus the isolated weirdos who have decided to blow up the mail box of the head of the local shopping mall.
If they did not and followed your recommendations, which is to go after the red neck teen trash can bombers, a hell lot more people would die in plane crashes.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Hey, I've been called worse things than arrogant - but as I said, either Europol is wrong or the wikileak cable is wrong.

It is a choice - I'm going with the one with the evidence and the conclusions based on evidence.

As I said, provide new evidence and I promise I'll reconsider my views.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Europol recognizes the difference between firing crackers in a trash bin and a terrorist attack trying to cause maximum casualties:

Altogether 498 terrorist attacks were committed
in the EU in 2006.The vast majority of
them resulted in limited material damage
and were not intended to kill. However, the
failed attack in Germany demonstrates that
Islamist terrorists also aim at mass casualties.

Therefore the prio of Europol is:

Investigations into Islamist terrorism are
clearly a priority for Member States’ law enforcement
as demonstrated by the number of arrested
suspects reported by Member States.

I agree that investigations into trying to blow up part of the port of Rotterdam should get priority over environmentalists slicing car tires (although that is also very annoying).
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Yes, as I pointed out in the other thread though - the 99% of terrorist acts carried out by Non-Muslims include major bombs that did kill people and were intended to kill mass casualties - just look at the two examples of ETA bombings in Spain on 29 and 30 July 2010.
dubai-politics-talk/denmark-foils-terror-attack-t44702-15.html#p360487

And by the same token, the majority of so-called Jihadist plots are pretty much amateur-night anarchist handbook, Tim McVeigh wannabes or entrapment by agent provocateurs. But the Europol stats do show actual terrorist attacks and the stats are clear.

The conclusion in Europol report about perception vs reality therefore is backed up by the stats.

Let me repeat, the conclusion is Europol's words not mine.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

During 2008, 359 individuals were tried on terrorism
charges in the member states in a total of
187 proceedings. Of 384 verdicts which were
pronounced in 2008, 50 percent were related to
Islamist terrorism
, and 39 percent to separatist
terrorism.

In the UK, Italy, Germany, and the Netherlands,
the vast majority of verdicts were linked to
Islamist terrorism
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I read it the first time.

That just goes to show that the proportions of the numpties that get caught/entraapped etc. The stats about the actual terrorist attacks still stand - 99% are not from Muslim terrorists.

Verdicts vs actual attacks. Given that there were more than one verdict per trial, we should also look at the breakdown of people convicted (Islamists vs Separatists) and what they were convicted for. See how many actually were in danger of committing acts of terrorism.

Also, verdicts don't mean all were guilty - 29% or 112 were aquittals - and:
Court proceedings in relation to Islamist terrorism had, as in 2007, the highest acquittal rate (34 percent)

Also, look at 5.2 relating to arrests:
Of the 1009 persons that, according to information from the member states, were arrested in the EU in 2008 on suspicion of involvement in terrorism, 187 were arrested in relation to Islamist terrorism.T

81% of those arrested were not Muslim terrorists! (Full stats given in Annex 5 - 501 arrests were separatist arrests - 49.6% of the total arrested.)

And of those arrested:
However, two thirds of the individuals arrested on suspicion of involvement in Islamist terrorism could not be linked to terrorist organisations known to the authorities.

I.e. lone numpties.

But as I keep saying, Europol compiled the report and gave the conclusion I quoted. They were aware of the other parts of their report when they concluded what they did.

Indeed the point is repeated in section 6:
Separatist terrorism remains the area of terrorism which affects the EU most. Four persons died in attacks committed by ETA in 2008.

■ A total of 397 separatist terrorist attacks were perpetrated; 501 suspects were arrested. The number of attacks decreased in 2008 by 25 percent in comparison to 2007, thereby reaching the level of 2006

And I didn't post this graph first time round... but given the recent thread about pie charts... let's have a look at the stats graphically:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk