China And Women (WJ TY)

Topic locked
China and Women (WJ TY) Mar 11, 2010
OK, it's not about Dubai, and it's not the first thread ever posted that related to outside Dubai, but I was asked to start a thread on the subject where I would get clarification about an article that appeared about missing women in China.

http://china.globaltimes.cn/society/2010-03/511342.html

UNDP report details plight of China's 'missing' women Source: Global Times [01:50 March 10 2010] Comments By Yin Hang

Millions of women in China go "missing" every year due to discrimination, poor healthcare and a cultural preference for boy babies, a report released Tuesday by a UN program said.

The report said 42.6 million women died from discriminatory treatment due to lack of access to health and nutrition or through pure neglect. Many of them were "never born" due to widespread preference for boys.
The report, Power, Voice and Rights: A Turning Point for Gender Equality in Asia and the Pacific, did not reveal any major new information but said that more boys than girls are born in Asia as a whole than in any other region of the world. They quoted data from 2007.

East Asia has the highest maletofemale sex ratios at birth 119 boys for every 100 girls, exceeding the world average of 107 boys for every 100 girls in the period between 2000 and 2005, the report said.
"China and India each has about 42.6 million missing women. The numbers seem to be increasing in absolute terms," the report said.

"The challenge faced by China on the issue is a significant one," said Abhimanyu Singh, director and the representative of UNESCO's China Theme Group on Gender.

With China's strong preference for boys, the sex ratio of children under 5 in 2005 was 122.66 (122 boys for every 100 girls born), the highest in Asia Pacific, the report added.

"The high ratio indicates a strong preference for male children and the deliberate use of certain means to achieve it a form of gender inequality that begins even before birth," the report concluded.

In an article published last Thursday in the Economist, there was a story about a newborn baby girl in the mountainous region of Yimeng in Shandong Province. Witnesses said the baby was snatched from her mother and dumped headfirst in a chamber pot because the family demanded a son and had no intention to violate the nation's onechild policy.

"The number of 'missing girls' is higher in richer, bettereducated provinces: prenatal ultrasound scans and selective abortions have proved even deadlier to girls than the cruel dictates of village elders," the article said.

The issue triggered heated discussions at the ongoing NPC and CPPCC sessions. CPPCC delegates from Chongqing and Anhui Province hoped the sessions could readdress the issue of adjusting the onechild policy considering it caused unbalanced male and female ratio.

But opponents insisted that the onechild policy has proven effective in China, which should not be blamed for the unbalance.

There's no plan currently to change the policy.

The UNDP report also mentioned that nearly 70 percent of women work in China, well above the global average of 53 percent. This statistic runs parallel to the higher longterm growth and industrialization experienced by the nation.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: China and Women (WJ TY) Mar 12, 2010
He-he, This post shows only that you know about China even less than about The Low Land. As far as I heard from my Chinese friends such a disproportion might be an effect of the govement policy in family planning "one family -one child". According to that rule any family is allowed to have the second child only if the first one was a girl. So it has nothing in common with the Mediaeval practice of killing female newborns, which is a crime nowadays.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: China and Women (WJ TY) Mar 13, 2010
Red Chief wrote:He-he, This post shows only that you know about China even less than about The Low Land. As far as I heard from my Chinese friends such a disproportion might be an effect of the govement policy in family planning "one family -one child". According to that rule any family is allowed to have the second child only if the first one was a girl. So it has nothing in common with the Mediaeval practice of killing female newborns, which is a crime nowadays.

Well asswipe, as it happens WJ asked that I start this thread because she would clarify certain statements. Which, by the way, is no different than what you "heard from [your] Chinese friends". Are you talking about the people who sell you your DVDs?

As if you are a fountain of knowledge and facts about everything important......NOT!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well,
What is your knowledge? So far I don't see any point of yours behind this cut and paste (generalities) but only tedious personal attack.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:Well,
What is your knowledge? So far I don't see any point of yours behind this cut and paste (generalities) but only tedious personal attack.

I guess your snide remark in the first sentence of your first post wasn't a personal attack - would you like to call it a general observation? Whatever.

As I said, White Jade, who is Chinese, said she would clarify some of the statements made in that article, which I was interested in hearing what she had to say. It has absolutely nothing to do with you.

You can return to your cave now.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

If it's between you and her only why wouldn't you send a personal message? As far as I understand it's an open forum. So anybody can reply.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:If it's between you and her only why wouldn't you send a personal message? As far as I understand it's an open forum. So anybody can reply.

You clearly don't have anything to contribute to the thread - so kindly move on.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Despite your kind request I cannot be indifferent to the problem. Sorry. Although you didn’t express your opinion directly but as I understand from that crying statistics, Chinese women, who were never born, suffer very much and you sympathize them a lot. You are not alone!

In addition, this country has never even rejected that it has WMD. So strong action is required to change those injustices as we speak about 42 million lives. Right? It’s a big deal!

Should we ask those women themselves? How could we do that? Anyway the brave colonels did ask neither Serbs in 1999 nor Iraqis in 2003. The scale of problem is too high.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:If it's between you and her only why wouldn't you send a personal message? As far as I understand it's an open forum. So anybody can reply.

Good for democracy! :mrgreen:

Anyway, say Chiefert, is this a fancy new surgery those beauties from Russia hurt themselves with? Or limited to Asian dolls only...

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Red Chief wrote:Despite your kind request I cannot be indifferent to the problem. Sorry. Although you didn’t express your opinion directly but as I understand from that crying statistics, Chinese women, who were never born, suffer very much and you sympathize them a lot. You are not alone!

In addition, this country has never even rejected that it has WMD. So strong action is required to change those injustices as we speak about 42 million lives. Right? It’s a big deal!

Should we ask those women themselves? How could we do that? Anyway the brave colonels did ask neither Serbs in 1999 nor Iraqis in 2003. The scale of problem is too high.

What the #$#%% was that post? From sentence to unrelated sentence, thought to irrelevant thought, what were you trying to say?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

dee7o wrote:
Red Chief wrote:Despite your kind request I cannot be indifferent to the problem. Sorry. Although you didn’t express your opinion directly but as I understand from that crying statistics, Chinese women, who were never born, suffer very much and you sympathize them a lot. You are not alone!

What the #$#%% was that post? From sentence to unrelated sentence, thought to irrelevant thought, what were you trying to say?

Oh dee, he has a thing for me in a big way, on the other hand, its probably rather small. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

dee7o wrote:

Thats plain Commie language. We will never understand hon. :lol:
RobbyG

Bora, that offensive PM is really unnecessary.

You actually did not ask any questions except posted that quoted comment here followed by PMs full of assumptions(S&O) and bad words(****, etc.)

So why not stop the insults and get down to business, i.e. ask your question!
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

WhiteJade wrote:Bora, that offensive PM is really unnecessary.

You actually did not ask any questions except posted that quoted comment here followed by PMs full of assumptions(S&O) and bad words(****, etc.)

Will you stop being so hypocritical. I've read the PM you sent to Bora and its YOU who is offensive at first. She's just returning the favor hon.

Just so you get the facts straight.
RobbyG

Guess we define 'offensive' differently then Robby.

You do know there are ways in which you express yourself with clean words don't you.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

WhiteJade wrote:Bora, that offensive PM is really unnecessary.

I'm offensive; you on the other hand are nasty, rude and a liar. Now that that's settled, let's move on.

First: You said the article was from the "western" press. Actually, if you read the article you would have seen that it is from Global Times, a publication out of Beijing, the author was Chinese.

Second: I never said I had any questions relating to the article. You popped up out of no where accusing me of believing what I read in the "western" press.

Third: You asked that I start a thread and you OFFERED to clarify statements in the article. You words were something to the effect: I give you my word.

Well, I have found out that you are two-faced and your word has no value at all.

I have a genuine interest in the topic, but I really don't think I would look to you for any clarification or answers. If you can't get the facts on a thread/post correct, then you are hardly the person to give out information. Unless, of course, you work for the government, then all the more I wouldn' believe anything you would have to say.

Subject closed.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora, again the second offensive PM is really unnecessary.

And I have never said Global Times is part of the 'western press'.

You may have a 'genuine interest in the topic', but it is a pity that you do not want a little waiting for answers, plus you do not even care to raise your own questions based on the comment.

'Subject closed'

Fair enough!
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

WhiteJade wrote:Guess we define 'offensive' differently then Robby.

You do know there are ways in which you express yourself with clean words don't you.

WJ, there were no "dirty words" in my PM. You may be referring to a certain word that has two entirely different meanings, depending if you are in the UK or the US. Having heard it as much as I have here in Dubai, I say it with a UK reference. If you read it otherwise, so be it.

Nice to see you squirm Sister Mary WhiteJade.

In response to you other post, in your initial post you referred to my believing everything I read in the "western press". Please read your own posts before you start retracting and backstepping. You are embarrassing yourself.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

WhiteJade wrote:Bora, again the second offensive PM is really unnecessary.

And I have never said Global Times is part of the 'western press'.

You may have a 'genuine interest in the topic', but it is a pity that you do not want a little waiting for answers, plus you do not even care to raise your own questions based on the comment.

'Subject closed'

Fair enough!

Let's set the record straight WJ.

My first PM to you:

You had asked that I start a thread on the article relating to missing women as you would clarify certain statements. I did so in politics. I believe you said: I give you my word - or something to that affect. I am very interested to hear what you have to say.

Thanks,
BB

NOTE: NEVER SAID I HAD QUESTIONS.

Now, your response to that PM:

It is a pity that I would be answering a question raised by YOU.

However, since I have made a promise, you will get my answer.

By the way, I do not think you know even a little about my country except those figures you get from the press, mostly 'western' press, which you seem to believe in without any doubts.

Thanks

W.J.

Since I never asked a question, exactly what is the answer?

NOTE: Now, this is important, note the word that you put in quotes. From where I sit it looks like 'western', when I actually I referred to an article in the Global Times, a Chinese publication.

Further to that, you assumed that I held a certain belief, yet I don't know what you based that on. Oh, wait, is it because I'm American?? In a free society, we are taught to think free, not indoctrinated by our government.

And then it just all went South.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
WhiteJade wrote:
It is a pity that I would be answering a question raised by YOU.

However, since I have made a promise, you will get my answer.

By the way, I do not think you know even a little about my country except those figures you get from the press, mostly 'western' press, which you seem to believe in without any doubts.

Thanks

W.J.

Quoted WJ:

So WJ thinks this isn't offensive to BB. I guess you live on another planet than we do. Its clearly not meant to be a joke.

Enough said.
RobbyG

Robby if you cared even a little about the histories, you would probably get some idea why I said it.

Isn't it clear enough, I am just telling Bora that I DO NOT LIKE YOU.

Enough said.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bora I am well aware Global Times is a Chinese newspaper. You are just revealing your assumptions that by 'mostly western' I included Global Times.

Now read carefully before you quote.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Well... well...

Somebody cannot stop washing her underwear on public. It was the "private" (not public) message regardless of the kind of English you use. I'm not sure that other DF members like to see those brown spots. :pukeleft:
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:Well... well...

Somebody cannot stop washing her underwear on public. It was the "private" (not public) message regardless of the kind of English you use. I'm not sure that other DF members like to see those brown spots. :pukeleft:

Haha, look who's talking.

I remember Trotski putting his underwear (with brown stripes) outside all the time! So since when did you buy a dryer? :lol: :wink: :lol:

Gym Membership $40, Protein Powder $30, Seeing You Just Move Out Of The Way For Me... Priceless.

Scrooch :mrgreen:
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:Thats plain Commie language. We will never understand hon. :lol:

Rob, don't take as an offence, but I am not sure that you are fluent enough in the Bronx dialect to use this word properly.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Red Chief wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Thats plain Commie language. We will never understand hon. :lol:

Rob, don't take as an offence, but I am not sure that you are fluent enough in the Bronx dialect to use this word properly.

You'll be amazed when I put up my American accent. Italian dialect we can try. :lol:
RobbyG

WhiteJade wrote:Robby if you cared even a little about the histories, you would probably get some idea why I said it.

Isn't it clear enough, I am just telling Bora that I DO NOT LIKE YOU.

Enough said.

WJ, this is "CYBERWORLD", not the real world (although it's as close to one that you can probably get to). Think I care if you like me or not?? :lol: It's your dislike for me that caused you to make a wrong assumption and in this case the only a$$ here is you!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

RobbyG wrote:You'll be amazed when I put up my American accent. Italian dialect we can try. :lol:

Rob, I have never doubted about your American accent though. :lol:

I was talking about the latrine language, where a half of all words came from digestive system directly and indirectly.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Care it or not Bora. I do not like you. And I see that you are not aware of and do not care about the reasons.

And you are indeed funny to just jump to a conclusion despite the fact.
WhiteJade
Dubai Forums Veteran

Red Chief wrote:Well... well...

I don't need to justify myself to you. Clearly something is preventing you from reading all the posts in their entirety. Maybe if you moved your underwear to the side, you would be able to read better.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk