Taking Photos In Dubai

Topic locked
Taking photos in Dubai Sep 29, 2007
Are you allowed to take photos of anything in Dubai?

Are there any restrictions? Anything you should be careful of when doing so, i.e. no photos of government buildings?

NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 29, 2007
I’m not sure if it is actually against the law or just really frowned upon but try not to take pictures of women in an abaya (traditional dress) without first getting their permission.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 29, 2007
What he said ^^^^. I think if you take a photo of an Emirati woman without their permission, and they aren't happy about it, you have a good chance of spending some time visiting the police station to get told off.

You're not supposed to take photos at the airport but I often see people with their cameras out.

Government buildings should be fine except for anything that looks like it's connected to the military. But there'll probably be a sign to warn you then.

No photos at border crossings either.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Sep 29, 2007
Cheers guys :)

Seems a bit extreme, but everywhere is different obviously. What if I'm taking a photo down a street and I someone manage to get a Emirati woman caught in shot? I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to take a photo in Dubai without getting one in shot ? :?

What should I generally be careful in doing when taking photos?
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 03, 2007
just wait a few minutes until they go past...then take as many pictures as you want of nice places :)
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 03, 2007
oh yeah don't forget to post the pictures on here :)
tinkerbella
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 03, 2007
Yeah, hopefully, will be interesting to see anyway.

Will do :)
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 18, 2007
Under any circumstance don't try to point your camara at local women, and after permissions take pictures of local men. goverment builidings, militery and any other structures forbidden shooting in your country is still applied here. Dubai is abundant in photogenic places. Wish you have a happy journey. :)
tianye
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 20, 2007
How will I know that I can't take a photo of a specific building? Will there be signs saying no photos?
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 21, 2007
You are also not allowed to take photos of *any* oil facilities in the UAE.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 21, 2007
Thanks for that.

How will I know that I can't take a photo of a specific building? Will there be signs saying no photos?
NZLivinginAUS
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 06, 2009
pos it here we can see too
marmarismarine
Dubai Forum User

Mar 06, 2009
Seen the video film of Dubai scenes on www.visit-dubai.co.uk ? It is on You Tube as well. That sort of thing will promote Dubai and bring tourists and buyers into the Emirate. Without tourists and property buyers, Dubai will DIE . So promotion of this nature is what more people in Dubai should be engaged in. This forum plays an important part in that, because it is not only being read by Dubai residents [including locals and ex-pats ] , it is being read by people globally who wish to glean more information about a fascinating part of the world.
Selling more property globally brings money and WORK to Dubai.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
I think Dubai is a tourism city, and why does tourism city forbid their tourists to take photos? Try to take some photos and post the photos here! :lol: I'm waiting for your photos.. 8)
dodot
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 21, 2009
I think you're looking too much into it. If you're a tourist, you're not going to be looking to take photos of oil facilities or government buildings so the laws regarding these shouldn't really bother you.

As for women in abayas, like everyone else has said, either wait until they pass out of your shot or seek permission first.

Apart from that, snap away and post them here!

RossBaku :-D

PS Don't know if anyone has seen this before, but it's a collection of sights all over Dubai from a few years back: http://www.true-dubai.com/
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 09, 2009
Awesome. I definitely need to go once for my holidays.
Jessiet
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 19, 2009
Certainly not. You cannot take picture of Emaar development. If you go in a gated comunity the master developer of the community rule is point. All security guard will stop you if start recording or take villa and landscape without prior authorization.
It is a city in a city. Other wise any other place you are free to take picture exept inside government building
Alineah
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 21, 2009
I've been in various developments and never been stopped from taking photos :?
bonk

May 14, 2009
Hi , ive been roaming taking photos of all the buildings (expect for the local women in abayas)..anyhow thanks for the info.
jjm
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 16, 2009
yes no pictures of government buildings and airport structures please.

i learned this the hard way and was questioned for taking a picture of a lamppost inside the airport freezone.

got stalled for almost two hours by the airport police who obviously couldn't find anything wrong with my pics. in the end, no harm done. but its just not worth the hassle.
chrisboy
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 18, 2009
chrisboy wrote:i learned this the hard way and was questioned for taking a picture of a lamppost inside the airport freezone.

Perhaps it was a military lamppost. Was it painted in camouflage colours ;)?
bonk

posting in Dubai Guide and photosForum Rules

Return to Dubai Guide and photos