Is My Friend In Trouble?

Topic locked
Is my friend in trouble? Feb 28, 2008
Hi

This question is probably aimed at someone who knows the law, or has most likely been through a very similar situation.

A friend of mine was driving on J.B.Road on the far left lane doing about 75 kph. Some car on the middle lane tried to cut in on him, unfortunately for the driver his calculation was wrong so he had to hit the breaks while in the middle lane ,as there was a car infront of him which he was about to rear end.

That same driver finally got on the left lane and took a road rage action, started flashing my friend from Behind and beeping at him. This intimidated my friend and thought that because of the drivers two inconsiderate actions and reckless driving he did not want to give him way.

Finally both cars came to a stop. My friend got out his car and as emotional as he was started shouting at the driver. The driver wanted to come out of the car.

Cut a long story short my friend throws a punch at him which caused the guy to bleed.

This guy turned out to be a driver of some local girls who’s screams my friend heard at the time of the battle.

My friend and his dad went down to the police station.

Both there passports are held and they are now being awaited for trial.

Random threats were thrown at my friend from the girls, "like you going to jail for a long time and u will be deported".

Apparently the girls are connected in some way or the other to the sheikhs as to his knowledge.

I find my friend loosing hope and is almost in a state of mental disturbance. Probably the worst time for him as his mums in America with sickness and his paps involved in something he’s not supposed to be involved in?

Are the police allowed to hold his and his fathers passports?

What’s the worst that can happen when it comes to Dubai/UAE Law and this offence?

Can these girls really deport him if they wanted to?

Road Rage is common almost anywhere in the world, the worst that can happen is a fine, or maybe a day in jail?

Open for Thoughts, Comments and suggestions.

Thanks all.

luv2xlr8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 28, 2008
Its probably not what you want to hear, but if your friend did indeed throw a first punch (provocated or not) then it will be jail followed by deportation im affraid
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 28, 2008
Arnie's probably right. And even though the other guy was effectively undertaking (illegal move) and driving what could be considered wrecklessly and in an intimidating way, the law won't see that as an excuse for assault.

The police hold the passports and that of a family member or friend, so the person charged or awaiting trial cannot flee the country - this is perfectly normal
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Is my friend in trouble? Feb 28, 2008
luv2xlr8 wrote:Cut a long story short my friend throws a punch at him which caused the guy to bleed.

Like the other posts said, that's going to cause the most problems for your friend.

If your friend was provoked because the other driver started insulting his sick mother, that he was very concerned about having just had a phone call because she took a turn for the worse, and he's very sorry but he didn't realise he was holding up traffic, and then he was trying to get out of the other drivers way but there were other cars where he wanted to go, and then he got confused because the other driver went where he was trying to go to get out of the way, and then his worry and stress got the better of him, and did he say he was very sorry, then perhaps the judge might have some sympathy. Unfortunately, that line is more likely to get you out of trouble on the spot, not once you've been nabbed.

My experience is that when you're on the side of the road after road rage, you're more likely to stay out of jail by eating humble pie than trying to explain why you were right.

The threats may or may not have any validity. Some people just make lots of noise, others really do have that sort of wasta. You won't know until something happens.

Find a lawyer.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for the reply all.

Sorry about the Double posting , was not intentional.

Cheers
luv2xlr8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 28, 2008
Your friend needs first to learn how to say sorry, and also to look like he really means it. This kind of action can be severely punished here. Does he have a lawyer to represent him, if not he needs one.
I am also afraid it is as Arnie says he will get jail time followed by deportation, the only thing he can do is be sorry. In this country someone was jailed for 3 months for flipping the bird.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 01, 2008
Being jailed and deported whilst possible is not necessarily a certainty.

I know of one british fellow who broke the nose of a taxi driver, and he did not even serve jail time, just had to pay compensation. He was also drunk at the time.

Get a good lawyer, and also ask your friend to offer a settlement outside of court to have the charges potentially dropped.

On the flipside of course, I'm not so keen on sharing the roads with someone who flips out and throws punches because of a traffic issue.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 02, 2008
sorry to hear this story bro

but your friend is still responsible for his actions
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
Not cause hes my friend but I think its fair to say that everyone deserves a second chance. Hes just at a tough stage in his life and people do mistakes. Hope the system has mercy on him.

Aprreciate the feedback all.
luv2xlr8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 02, 2008
luv2xlr8 wrote:Not cause hes my friend but I think its fair to say that everyone deserves a second chance. Hes just at a tough stage in his life and people do mistakes. Hope the system has mercy on him.

Aprreciate the feedback all.

Habiby he will get the second chance to ponder his actions. Why give second chance without letting someone serve out their punishment for their first chance? Will they learn if there is no punishment or will they treat their second chance just like their first?
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 02, 2008
Point Taken and cannot be argued. A punishment is inevitable.

Im just hoping that he gets a fair trial and that his sentence will be some jail time and a fine.

But to deport him for such an offense would be quiet extreme.
luv2xlr8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 02, 2008
luv2xlr8 wrote:Point Taken and cannot be argued. A punishment is inevitable.

Im just hoping that he gets a fair trial and that his sentence will be some jail time and a fine.

But to deport him for such an offense would be quiet extreme.

Come on, give us all a break, your friend was out of control, and ended up assaulting another person, whilst this may be OK in many other places of the world, it is not here. He will get a fair trial based on the law.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 02, 2008
Your friend should be given a medal for punching that *******!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
Deporting him would be too hard of a punishment. I don't know how many times I've wanted to punch someone on the road!
A fine and maybe a few days in jail should do in my opinion.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 02, 2008
Sage & Onion: He will get a fair trial based on the law.

Lets hope so.

Concord: Your friend should be given a medal for punching that *******!

:lol: .....yeah it really sucks when some tries to overtake you without signaling and trying to dominate all lanes like hes the only one on the road, Nutters...ive been putting up with it for the past 15 years. :D

MC: Deporting him would be too hard of a punishment. I don't know how many times I've wanted to punch someone on the road!
A fine and maybe a few days in jail should do in my opinion.

Yeah me too, but as S.O said not very smart doing so in these ends of the world. Really hope he gets that fine and jail time....If he gets deported would be a real shame.
luv2xlr8
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 03, 2008
On the subject of deportation....how long is someone usually deported for? Is it dependent on the sentence handed out?

RossBaku
rossbaku
Dubai Forums Talker

Mar 03, 2008
rossbaku wrote:On the subject of deportation....how long is someone usually deported for? Is it dependent on the sentence handed out?

RossBaku

I think it is for life!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 03, 2008
It depends on the nationality. I have a friend who once beat a taxi driver and he only paid a few dirhams to the guy and another time he got into a fight with a local. The only thing happened was that his passport was seized until the court-time and then nothing.

But I've heard about a Pakistani guy who got deported for something that wasn't a crime even in this place.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 03, 2008
Once you're deported, you cannot return to the UAE - Ever!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 03, 2008
not the worst thing in life :lol: ...well at least if you're from the right part of the world 8)
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2008
However, I think there is an upside to this story and that the driver who was moron in the first palce, will think twice about doing it again. Sometimes a lesson needs to be learnt the hard way.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 03, 2008
do you still believe in Santa Claus :shock: .... here? In this ignorant part of the world....
you just made me rofl..... thanks for that late one.... better late than never
M!
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum