American Expats??

Topic locked
American Expats?? Mar 07, 2007
I have a question to all the American expats on here. First of all are there many Americans living in Dubai compared to the number of Brits, and other nationals? 2nd having moved to Dubai from the US was there a “huge” cultural shock or not. How is living in Dubai compared to living in the US? Thanks appreciate your help.

Majestic
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 18, 2009
To answer your questions...

First of all are there many Americans living in Dubai compared to the number of Brits, and other nationals?

ME: There are Americans here but we are the minority for sure. Everyone I meet thinks I am British until I speak. But for the most part, and this is 100% truth... The locals love Americans and hate the British. Which is good for me:)

having moved to Dubai from the US was there a “huge” cultural shock or not. How is living in Dubai compared to living in the US?

ME: Yes... The first week I was here I had a major culture shock hit me and I wanted to leave. The culture shock was not from the Arabs though, it was the Europeans. They are pushy people with no manners. They talk loud, spit, pick their noses, could care less about forming lines and they are hairy... even the women.

It took a good 6 weeks to get comfortable here, and I live all over the US coming from Las Vegas.

Hope that helps.
dubaious3
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 18, 2009
dubaious3 wrote:To answer your questions...

First of all are there many Americans living in Dubai compared to the number of Brits, and other nationals?

ME: There are Americans here but we are the minority for sure. Everyone I meet thinks I am British until I speak. But for the most part, and this is 100% truth... The locals love Americans and hate the British. Which is good for me:)

having moved to Dubai from the US was there a “huge” cultural shock or not. How is living in Dubai compared to living in the US?

ME: Yes... The first week I was here I had a major culture shock hit me and I wanted to leave. The culture shock was not from the Arabs though, it was the Europeans. They are pushy people with no manners. They talk loud, spit, pick their noses, could care less about forming lines and they are hairy... even the women.

It took a good 6 weeks to get comfortable here, and I live all over the US coming from Las Vegas.

Hope that helps.

Extremely biased viewpoint
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2009
Glad he posted that, because his dating ad in the Romance forum looked too good to be true. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 19, 2009

Hope that helps.

What an ignorant response unfortunately from a fellow Las Vegan.

To answer the OP, there are about 20,000 Americans in UAE. Yes it was a cultural shock at first, took about 3-4 months to get adjusted. Too much unnecessary red tape, ineffeciancy and incompetence are frustrating.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: American Expats?? Mar 19, 2009
Majestic wrote:I have a question to all the American expats on here. First of all are there many Americans living in Dubai compared to the number of Brits, and other nationals? 2nd having moved to Dubai from the US was there a “huge” cultural shock or not. How is living in Dubai compared to living in the US? Thanks appreciate your help.

I found that there are a good number of hypenated Americans. (Indian-American, Egyptian-American, etc.). and they tend to gravitate to people from their country of birth.

I don't think it as much as a culture shock as opposed to an adjustment. It is not as if you were moving to Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt - I think that is where you would really feel a culture shock.

There was a time when people in Dubai worked to live, but due to the growth it is like the US - live to work.

Don't look at everything with a critical eye but with an open mind and it will make the adjustment easier. Dubai is a really nice place to live once you settle in, but of course that is my personal opinion.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 19, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Hope that helps.

Extremely biased viewpoint

Wrong!
Just extremely s***** US point of view :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dumb as dry bread but still under the imagination being better than the rest of the world :P
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 31, 2009
GREAT POINT DUBAIOUS3!!! I DO BELIEVE!
andz_zmzn
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum