*WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!!

Topic locked
*WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!! Sep 19, 2013
Hey guys,

Just got a message in my du number telling me that it is du's tenth anniversary and that I can double my balance if I dial a code. THIS IS A SCAM. First off, du came about in 2006 and the grammar was notably muddled.

I called up du's customer service and I doubt any repercussions will take place as the rep seemed to be distant from my claims. On to the scam itself, if my memory serves me right, if you actually dial the code, you will be sending HIM some money, not the aforementioned.

Normally when you type this code, you get an alert box to confirm the transfer, however I reckon this code overrides that.

prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: *WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!! Sep 20, 2013
Jesus, that's scary.

I recently ordered some health supplements from a website. A link to getting your 'free' bottle had been provided by a family member via their twitter account. It turned out that their twitter account had been hacked. I ordered my bottle and had to pay for the p&p. I pressed to confirm the order and within 5 minutes I had HSBC on the phone. The scammers had obtained authorisation for two amounts totally £200. One authorisation was for an Internet auction site. I will get my money back but it's very annoying.

You cannot trust anyone. It's a sad sad world.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: *WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!! Sep 20, 2013
Hmm indeed, there are literally millions of scams going on nowadays. Nearly every single day I am met with one(online). I've seen scores of links telling my to pick up my free iPad and sites telling me I'm the millionth visitor. Part of the problem is the lack of awareness. You'd be amazed at how gullible people are these days, in fact I could make a scam right now and fool some naive internet passerby- it's just too easy.
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

Re: *WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!! Sep 21, 2013
Does anyone fall for the free iPad thing? Mine was a diet supplement worth about £3.00.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: *WARNING* Mobile Scam!!!! Sep 21, 2013
Maybe, though I highly doubt it. In other more intricate scams, people end up losing tens of thousands of dollars. The fraud industry is booming due to leaps in technology despite numerous watchdog firms being set up. It is also a lucrative industry and one that will continue to hoodwink users for a long time to go...
prowheels
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat