Moving From Spain

Topic locked
Moving from Spain Feb 21, 2008
Hi there

I am a 44 year old guy, married with 2 kids, (daughter of 15 and son of 12). We are British, but have been living in Spain for 7 years. We are now considering selling our small businesses here (a beauty salon and a real estate office). We would like to move to the UAE. Can anyone offer any advice or comments on:
a) viability of a 44 year old gaining meaningful employment. (Sales & marketing management or similar)
b) suitability of moving out with 2 teenage kids?

A bit of feedback from you seasoned guys and gals out there would be a great help! At this stage we are openminded about any location within the UAE. My wife has a cousin who has lived in Dubai for more than 20 years, but we would like an "outsiders" perspective!

Thanks in advance

Tony Kinsella

TonyK
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 21, 2008
How many times did you post this? I've counted 3 so far :evil: ...
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

How amny times? Feb 21, 2008
Hi Bonk

I posted this 3 times in different sections. Is this against forum rules/etiquette??

Thanks

Tony
TonyK
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: How amny times? Feb 21, 2008
TonyK wrote:I posted this 3 times in different sections. Is this against forum rules/etiquette??

I don't know about this forum. But most forums I've seen don't like double posting ... maybe triple posting is ok ;).

What confuses me though is, which one of the multiple topics should I reply in? Or should I post the same reply in all of them?
bonk

Re: Moving from Spain Feb 21, 2008
TonyK wrote:We are now considering selling our small businesses here (a beauty salon and a real estate office).

Assuming they are viable businesses, why sell them? If you come here with a pocket full of cash, it will disappear quickly.

Get a job here that provides accommodation, school fees, etc, and leave someone to manage your Spain businesses?
bonk

Postings Feb 21, 2008
Bonk

Thanks for the points on postings! I guess I was trying to get to as wide a group as possible, I didn't consider the confusing way they would appear!! :oops:

Both businesses are running OK, providing a living and a bit more, but we are taking a slightly different perspective about the future. For example, Spain is a great country and I will definitely retire here, but the many changes that are happening in the UAE seem to exciting to miss. Also, I firmly believe that experience of different cultures is extremely healthy, especially for children.

Thanks for the info so far. As a matter of interest, what line of business are you in?

Cheers

Tony
TonyK
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Postings Feb 21, 2008
TonyK wrote:For example, Spain is a great country and I will definitely retire here, but the many changes that are happening in the UAE seem to exciting to miss.

I didn't mean don't come to UAE. I meant don't put all your eggs in one basket :)

what line of business are you in?

Monkey :).
bonk

Feb 26, 2008
Hi Tony
I moved to Dubai two years ago from Spain. Seeking my last chance of adventure and the big bucks before getting too old. I am 52 and my husband is 50. We have no dependants but know others who have. To live here is very expensive. Check out the house prices for rent and to buy. To find a job is not easy and high wages are not so the norm now. You need the complete package to take care of your family with a good salary, house allowance, health insurance and trips paid for back home. You need to be employed for at least a year before you are entitled to a month's vacation. Have you considered the continuing of your kids' education? You cannot work here under 18 years of age. To get a job you have to have your paper qualifications endorsed both in the country where you got them and also here. Yes, opportunities here do exist but you must check everything out and check again. My home is in Calpe and the weather there great for 8 months of the year. Here in Dubai for 7 months you are inside in the air conditoned environment most of the time. That is what I miss most here, the warmth and being able to live outside most of the year as I do back home in Spain. Good luck, Tony to you and your family, whatever you decide on but as one person has already said do not put all your eggs in one basket and do not burn all your bridges.
Sue Cooke

Feb 26, 2008
Hi Sue

Thanks for the advice, it seems very sound. We live down on the Costa del Sol and we will definitely keep our house here, just rent it out for a few years. The businesses are a bit more difficult as both are very hands on and would be difficult to put in the charge of a manager. I am coming out to the UAE in March for a few weeks and I will be with some friends up in Ras al Khaimah initially.

As an alternative to finding work, what do you think of investing/starting a business? Is this feasible?

best regards

Tony
TonyK
Dubai Forum Visitor

From Spain To Dubai Feb 26, 2008
Hi Tony
To open a business here you must have a local sponsor/business partner. There are many registration costs involved in what could be a risky business and so many laws to be aware of. Labour laws are strict and to employ other people you take responsibilty for their welfare and their behaviour whilst they are here.
People are buying to invest here off plan but that can be risky. Some are talking about a crash but as more and more people are coming here to live and work that is debatable.
I suggest you read the local papers online to give you an insight to real life here. 7 days, khaleej times and the gulf news are all good. The letters pages are always a good indication of what its really like.
I read CBN online every week just to keep up to date espanol :) Same old news eh? Brits running round in uninsured cars, problems on how to get your NIE or onto the padron, etc, etc
Dubai is multi culture and religion, although an Islamic country, and everyone respects the ethics and such of their neighbours.
As long as we obey the laws here we can have a great life, tho I do miss the quick trip to the beach bar for my coffee and brandy :)
Foreigners can now buy property freehold but only in certain areas and the prices are going up all the time, tho the quality of build leaves a lot to be desired. Bit where is that any different.
RAK is behind the times compared to Dubai but I really like it there, the scenery reminds me of Spain. I dont know if foreigners can buy property in RAK, you will have to let me know.
So make the most of your time there in March, weather will be excellent then.
All the best
Sue
Sue Cooke

Re: From Spain To Dubai Feb 26, 2008
Sue Cooke wrote:I dont know if foreigners can buy property in RAK, you will have to let me know.

Yes. Marjan Island, Saraya Islands, Mina Al Arab are 3 developments I've heard of, and there's a couple of towers.

Tony, if your businesses are going well, try and find a way to get a manager and hang on to them, it's probably a better use of your resources than starting a new business in a new country. Was it easy all those years ago in Spain?

Setting up a business in Dubai is going to be expensive. Assume you lose money in year 1 and break even in year 2, and count up how much cash you need for rental, school fees, car, food, etc for those first 2 years. You could be looking at 500,000 - 1 million dhs.
bonk

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the advice, I think it is very sound. At this stage, I am focusing on finding a suitable job and will put any ideas of starting another business firmly on the back burner! I have interviews lined up with two multi-national companies in March and will also do a little speculative touring of employment agencies etc, when I am out there. I am spending the next week or so making direct contact with companies in the UAE and attempting to secure interviews. Is this direct approach OK for UAE based companies, or would you advise the employment agency route?

Apologies if I am leaning on you guys a bit too much, but hopefully I can repay the favour someday!!

Thanks

Tony
TonyK
Dubai Forum Visitor

Feb 27, 2008
TonyK wrote:Is this direct approach OK for UAE based companies, or would you advise the employment agency route?

Direct approach usually better than employment agencies or newspaper ads, especially if you can connect with the person who can make a decision (not the HR department). I like the book "What Color is Your Parachute" as a guide :). Here's some recruitment agencies in Dubai to consider.
bonk

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted