Car Jobs In Dubai

Topic locked
Car jobs in dubai Nov 24, 2007
Hi there folks

New member to the site here. I'm a 26 year old Irish petrolhead and after a recent trip to Dubai I have totally and utterly fallen in love with the Emirate. I am a fully qualified mechanic and the garage i work in i am currently managing the service department. I am currently in my final year of a course studying advanced automotive engineering and garage management. I have been a technician on a successful rally team for almost 4 years working mostly on different variants on the lancer evolution. Once I am finished my studies in college I am wanting to move to Dubai to work. The type of job I would be looking for would be something along the lines of managing the service department of a large garage or managing a smaller garage overall. I would not have much interest in working in a garage which sell's and maintains your everyday type of cars. Much more interested in working in a garage dealing with high performance/exotic cars as I feel I would loose interest quickly working with "run of the mill" cars.

My question here would be: Where would i start looking for a job? Any suggestions as to different garages which i should contact?

I understand that I'm looking for a lot of information for a 1st post but am hoping you guys may be able to help me or even point me in the right direction

Any help is greatly appreciated and I hope to hear from you guys real soon

Aedan.

Makaveli
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 24, 2007
Hi there Aedan.

Okay, I know next to nothing about your line of work, but here goes.

High performace/ exotic, are we talking about Porche, Ferarri etc. here, or is this still to production line for you?

The easiest thing is to look up who the agents are in the UAE or Middle East for a particular brand/ make. The company laws here are odd, so that the marketing, distribution and maintenace for a particular brand is linked to one "sponsoring" company only. For example if you had to have a general high end workshop and only deal with exotic brands, each time you required a spare or some part you could only get it from the local distributor - if they caught you importing directly from abroad they can have your trading license revoked. This normally ensures that the company marketing and distributing a product enevitable does the maintenace as well.

What about another... slightly off the wall suggestion, Dubai now has it's own Formula race track (apparently not as grand as Bahrain), but nevertheless. I would almost put money on the fact that there must be some kind of sponsored car racing going on here (I mean local/ company sponsors and not international), what about looking at it from that perspective, pit-crew technition etc...?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 24, 2007
sorry about the spelling, it's been a long day :lol:
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 25, 2007
Hiya dbxsoul

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying alright. I was looking on the autotrader website last nite and they have a list of dealers who use the site. I dunno how exactly it works in Dubai but is is rude/wrong if i was to make the initial contact with them via email and explain what I am looking for and include a copy of my cv????

Again any help is greatly appreciated

Aedan.
Makaveli
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 25, 2007
Hi there,

No, email at the moment for you is the best point of contact. Just be aware that you may have to send a number of emails to the same company until you end up with the right person.

If this is the case, what I would suggest is putting together a good, clear covering letter, and append your CV - keep it brief and to the point. Send it through your email program, don't send a word document attachment as most places will either not bothering opening it - and some are paranoid about viruses so will not open any mails with attachments!

Send it to as many places as possible, it's better to rather have two or three offers and then select one that is the most appropriate for you.

Also remember things in Dubai take time. this is very difficult to put into words; things normally take a lot longer to get done (decision-wise) that you may be used to, having said this it is considered rude to tell someone "no", so they may simply string you along until you get tied and go away - this way they have saved face as they haven't said no and the problem sorts it's self out. :) You can normally tell though when you are being given the run-around.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted