Can Enthusiasm Get Me A Job?

Topic locked
can enthusiasm get me a job? May 11, 2006
Greetings to all the kind folks around here who patiently spend their time answering ignorant newbie questions such as mine! :)

I'm from the Republic of Moldova, which, just in case you were wondering, is a country in Easter Europe (not Africa! nor Asia! it's in Europe!). I graduated from a local university last year. I've got a Bachelor's in International Economic Relations. My work experience is limited to almost 2 years of Internet marketing at the local branch of an American e-business company, 3 months as Marketing Assistant at a dairy products company, a solid internship in international commerce, and a 2-year experience as enthusiastic writer (not officially employed) for a local magazine in English (while still in high school). Besides my probably-not-too-well-known native language (Romanian), I speak English and Russian fluently, and know a smattering of Turkish and German. I don't think I should list my many other secondary merits such as the dozens of awards in science subjects I got in high school, as these are irrelevant, or my almost unlimited enthusiasm, which is tough to prove online...

I'm considering applying for a job in Dubai for both better career opportunities than I can get in my country and the travel / cultural experience. I'm thinking of applying for a marketing position or journalism-related internship / job... or translations... or even hotel / restaurant service. Since I started my quest for opportunities in Dubai only two days ago, I would highly appreciate any advice, comments about my situation or directions regarding useful resources! The biggest problem I can envision is the fact that, though I may be able to make out certain words Turkish inherited from Arabic, I don't speak the latter. The second concern I can reasonably get is that, since my country is not a very popular one, I might have trouble obtaining a visa...

I would highly appreciate any comments and / or suggestions, and would like to earnestly thank those who consider replying to my enquiry in advance!

ShamanWhisper

Re: can enthusiasm get me a job? May 11, 2006
Well, Im not from Dubai, but seems like you qualify for the job. Enthusiasm does help, just dont be over-the-top hyper. :) Good Luck! One suggestion, share YOUR personality when you have interview. Tell them something ECCENTRICT about yourself. I always do that, and I got hired 9/10 times!! People dont like to hire model-looking clones with typical college degrees. :wink:
Al7Isra
Dubai Forums Member

Re: can enthusiasm get me a job? May 11, 2006
Al7Isra wrote:Enthusiasm does help, just dont be over-the-top hyper ... People dont like to hire model-looking clones with typical college degrees. :wink:

I must have forgotten to mention. I've actually had the chance to do some human resources work. I have personally interviewed anywhere between 100 and 150 young people (mainly college students), and reviewed many more written applications. So, believe me, I know how annoying it is to receive standard answers youths think interviewers expect to hear, and how exasperating it is to hear people that they like everything and are so optimistic about life when you can actually sense that their never-fading smile is pretensively pushed almost to the limit of hysteria in a desperate attempt to hide the anxiety that brims over...

Al7Isra wrote:One suggestion, share YOUR personality when you have interview. Tell them something ECCENTRICT about yourself.:wink:

I usually manage to be myself when I know my life doesn't depend on the things I try. I may be a little more stressed when I really want something, though. Anyway, being myself may sometimes reveal some of my idiosyncrasies, which I'm probably not conscious of. I would never deliberately try to seem eccentric, though...

Al7Isra wrote:Tell them something ECCENTRICT about yourself. I always do that, and I got hired 9/10 times!! People dont like to hire model-looking clones with typical college degrees.:wink:

So, what is it that you tell them and get such a high acceptance rate? Do you happen to know some magic spell or something? ... or do you simply know how to choose the jobs you apply for? :)
ShamanWhisper

Re: can enthusiasm get me a job? May 14, 2006
Enthusiasm on its own won't get you a job, but a lack of enthusiasm will almost certainly stop you from getting one. Be genuinely enthusiastic.

ShamanWhisper wrote:My work experience is limited to almost 2 years of Internet marketing at the local branch of an American e-business company,

Is that where you learnt to use italics on the internet? That must be one of those clever marketing things I missed in my own studies :shock: ...
sharewadi
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: can enthusiasm get me a job? May 16, 2006
sharewadi wrote:Enthusiasm on its own won't get you a job, but a lack of enthusiasm will almost certainly stop you from getting one. Be genuinely enthusiastic.

Oh, trust me, enthusiasm is something I have in abundance! I've also got little to lose. Aren't these the 2 basic ingredients of revolutionary cocktails? Well, I guess I also need to acquire some experience before I can can give revolution the shape of progress...

sharewadi wrote:Is that where you learnt to use italics on the internet? That must be one of those clever marketing things I missed in my own studies :shock: ...

Yeah... I took a semester-long course on discussion boards that covered WYSIWYG formatting. LOL! :lol: Now seriously speaking, I have administrated a travel-related forum for over a year and a half. So, I'm quite familiar with forum software issues...

It occurs to me that you're involved with the stock market... in Dubai? Is that what your nick (SHAREwadi) stems from?
ShamanWhisper

Re: can enthusiasm get me a job? Jun 28, 2006
ShamanWhisper wrote:I'm from the Republic of Moldova, which, just in case you were wondering, is a country in Easter Europe (not Africa! nor Asia! it's in Europe!).

Is it such a big deal that you have to emphasize? Or you just know that it is much easier to get hired if they know you're european rather than african or asian? :roll:
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

yujinn wrote:Is it such a big deal that you have to emphasize? Or you just know that it is much easier to get hired if they know you're european rather than african or asian? :roll:

Someone's a little touchy. I believe the person clarified to save confusion - not every has a solid grasp of geography.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

ShamanWhisper wrote:The biggest problem I can envision is the fact that, though I may be able to make out certain words Turkish inherited from Arabic, I don't speak the latter. The second concern I can reasonably get is that, since my country is not a very popular one, I might have trouble obtaining a visa...

I don't think language or ethnicity would completely prevent you from getting a job here, although will play a vital role in determining your net worth to a company.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

XRW-147 wrote:
ShamanWhisper wrote:The biggest problem I can envision is the fact that, though I may be able to make out certain words Turkish inherited from Arabic, I don't speak the latter. The second concern I can reasonably get is that, since my country is not a very popular one, I might have trouble obtaining a visa...

I don't think language or ethnicity would completely prevent you from getting a job here, although will play a vital role in determining your net worth to a company.

what has ethnicity to do with net worth of company
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 28, 2006
All the best in Dubai :)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 13, 2006
Companies are more likley to hire you if you have a skill that they are looking for.

The employeer has to be able to say to him / herself "If this individual starts working for me tomorrow, can I can immediately start making money from what he / she is doing? you need to be able to add value to the company in some way, this is your unique selling point.

At an interview, portraying confidence is your number 1 priority.
HalfPint
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Job WantedForum Rules

Return to Dubai Job Wanted