FT Article Re Dubai's Recovery

Topic locked
FT Article re Dubai's Recovery Mar 17, 2009
I am sure that some will find this as good news and so sorry if it disappoints others.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0a38911a-0e88 ... ck_check=1

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 17, 2009
I see I can stop writing my latest draft article as this is basically the same.

This is excellent realist reporting. Dubai surely will come back, may it a bit slower and leaner in the coming years. Its the new trade center of the world. As simple as that.

Financial Times (FT) says enough. Top paper.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Dubai surely will come back, may it a bit slower and leaner in the coming years. Its the new trade center of the world. As simple as that.

Yeah dude, cos it's gonna... it'll be bigger than... so much better than... Bwahahahahah! Sorry, couldn't finish my sentence. I kept reading your post and laughing.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Dubai surely will come back, may it a bit slower and leaner in the coming years. Its the new trade center of the world. As simple as that.

Yeah dude, cos it's gonna... it'll be bigger than... so much better than... Bwahahahahah! Sorry, couldn't finish my sentence. I kept reading your post and laughing.

I can handle this puppy, Cap. I laugh all day long.
Now what part you didn't understand?

let me rephrase myself: What part don't you wanna see!?

8) :lol:
RobbyG

Mar 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Its the new trade center of the world. As simple as that.

This part.

Should I inform London, New York, Singapore, Zurich, Hong Kong and Sydney? They might want to know.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

This part.

Should I inform London, New York, Singapore, Zurich, Hong Kong and Sydney? They might want to know.

I don't even know why he had to ask you which part. I thought it was pretty obvious.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 17, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

This part.

If I were to tell you that the trade centers of the world will move (or better: deal) more towards Dubai for instance. (which basically is at the Center of both Europe and Asia), how would you reply to that?

In my opinion, China and india are getting a major Asian role in the world order (how many billions of consumers?) and Europe and America will have to settle in their 'Western' dominance for sure.

To accomodate all this trade traffic, Dubai's Al Maktoums Airport is going to facilitate that central Hub and spoke system. Its basically a giant feedtrough center for everything from Europe to Asia. Thats of major economic importance for Dubai in the future. You can count on that.

So again, in my opinion Dubai is never going to become a so called 'ghost city', but a major hub for finance, transport, services and other economic activity.

Nothing new I reckon?? Or did I simply misinterpretate your rant... :wink:
RobbyG

Mar 17, 2009
Dubai may become more important in international commerce, and it may become a major transport hub for this part of the world... but my point about how ridiculous your statement was still stands.

But I can't leave it at that. If anything, Abu Dhabi is going to be a player in world finances, not Dubai. They have cash, patient ambition, resources and a sustainable vision. Abu Dhabi and Dubai can best be related to Los Angeles and Las Vegas or (closer to my home) Brisbane and the Gold Coast. One is where you will park your regional headquarters, the other is an interesting place to visit.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 17, 2009
I would have been lost without you Cap. I'm thinking large here OK ;)
Abu Dhabi = finance and commerce, Dubai = tourist and trade

As for vision, I don't think the Al Maktoums fall short on Abu Dhabi. Dubai is a leader in that, not to forget the greatest risk taker.

Howla.
RobbyG

Mar 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

This part.

If I were to tell you that the trade centers of the world will move (or better: deal) more towards Dubai for instance. (which basically is at the Center of both Europe and Asia), how would you reply to that?

In my opinion, China and india are getting a major Asian role in the world order (how many billions of consumers?) and Europe and America will have to settle in their 'Western' dominance for sure.

To accomodate all this trade traffic, Dubai's Al Maktoums Airport is going to facilitate that central Hub and spoke system. Its basically a giant feedtrough center for everything from Europe to Asia. Thats of major economic importance for Dubai in the future. You can count on that.

So again, in my opinion Dubai is never going to become a so called 'ghost city', but a major hub for finance, transport, services and other economic activity.

Nothing new I reckon?? Or did I simply misinterpretate your rant... :wink:

I can see why the Captain is laughing.

Robby your post is complete and utter nonsense.
arniegang

Mar 17, 2009
I see we have the first significant error in views here. Good, makes it more interesting.

I will back my things up soon. I worked with the Dutch trade association and I heard some high-level officials talk about this once. Have to dive deeper to back up my arguments and be more elaborate.

Until that moment... Utter nonsense...;)
RobbyG

Mar 17, 2009
I guess the ranking of world trade center cities will change eventually ! it depends who will get out of this crisis safe and sound and who is fastest to get up back again on their feet. their is no loyalty when it comes to making money. I think china will shine.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:I see we have the first significant error in views here. Good, makes it more interesting.

I will back my things up soon. I worked with the Dutch trade association and I heard some high-level officials talk about this once. Have to dive deeper to back up my arguments and be more elaborate.

^^^^^Herve, is that you?^^^^
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 17, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
RobbyG wrote:I see we have the first significant error in views here. Good, makes it more interesting.

^^^^^Herve, is that you?^^^^

You are very tiring you know that.
Just like a kitty climbing up my pants all the time. Get lost frickin' cat. Here, take thisss (imaginary blow) :lol:
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009
Dubai is certainly in a good geographical position for stock market trading, being about halfway between Hong Kong/Singapore and London.
They have also built some excellent financial buildings along Sheikh Zayed Road. Of course, there is also the Dubai World Trade Centre [ www.dubaiworldtradecentre.co.uk ], with its surrounding hotels and facilities, like the huge Conference centre.

There is no doubt that the international business community would enjoy meeting in Dubai, to combine business with relaxation in the sun in luxury hotels.

That much I reckon Dubai has got RIGHT!! It is in the RIGHT location with the RIGHT facilities. Now it needs Abu Dhabi to finance it out of this hole........which it has created by trying to build TOO MANY expensive projects......far too quickly!

The question is .....is it geared for family holidays with its Dubailand etc? The climate does not suit European children for much of the year.
Unless Asian children start coming there in LARGE numbers , projects like Dubailand might not succeed. It is a long way from Europe......and even further from the USA.

Dubai, of course, is EXCELLENT for a 3 or 4 day break on a flight from Europe to Hong Kong or Australia.

SO, concentrate on completing the infrastructure to turn it into a financial/business centre, I say. A great place for Chinese businessmen to meet up with those from Europe and mix business with pleasure.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
Sorry !! www.dubaiworldtradecentre.co.uk does not lead to a web site. It appears it is for sale [ like www.dubaiworldtradecentre.net] .
There is a write up on www.visit-dubai.co.uk with information on Dubai World Trade Centre for those who may be new to Dubai and this forum.

I understand that people are popping in for a read of this forum ,from all over the world. Well done!! Keep it up!!

Dubai DOES FASCINATE people GLOBALLY , whatever anyone says.
So setting up useful web-sites to MARKET DUBAI to the world, is one way of clawing out of recession and selling goods and property.
If the world does not come to Dubai.......why can't Dubai businesses NOT GO TO THE WORLD...via the internet, and sell useful products online?
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
The Dubai World Trade Centre was the first decent big building [ modern and stylish] on Sheikh Zayed Road in 1979 , was it not?
[ Says so on www.visit-dubai.co.uk ].
Compared to later architecture, it looks a BIT dated....but still a nice building.
That is ONLY THIRTY YEARS AGO.......and I must say, the change in Dubai has been truly PHENOMENAL !!
The Trade Centre concept was an excellent one....so DUBAI STARTED ON THE RIGHT FOOT!!!
NOW IT NEEDS TO GET BACK IN STEP AFTER TRYING TO JUMP TOO MANY HIGH HURDLES!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
Shall we come back to topic RK?

on-topic: Dubai recovery please. It was a serious discussion
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009
Article is not really about recovery of real estate market, but UAE economy. Overall UAE economy is not in trouble really, it will rebound with rest of the world.
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
Nucleus wrote:Article is not really about recovery of real estate market, but UAE economy. Overall UAE economy is not in trouble really, it will rebound with rest of the world.

I admire your optimism.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 18, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
Nucleus wrote:Article is not really about recovery of real estate market, but UAE economy. Overall UAE economy is not in trouble really, it will rebound with rest of the world.

I admire your optimism.

I can do better than that:
'Everything is fine gals and girls. Nothing wrong, continue what your doing.'
'Don't look back, the future is all that counts. YOU!!! lashesss, for looking back!! '
'Everything is ok, nothing to see, lets all put out the flowerbeds to cheer things up.'

Sage, you can't handle two way arguments can you? Every coin has two sides. It seems to me you only want to see one side. Am I right?
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009

it will rebound with the oil prices ... when ever that happens. Petro dollars will keep this region going and going and going ....
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 18, 2009
Dubai is a fine city, which is actually built on rather solid fundamentals! Give Dubai time....No matter what anyone says, there will always be many takers for a slice of the Dubai dream!
Dubai is only going through a slowdown.....for the prudent amongst us, take advantage of the opportunity, such that wen dubai does actually pick up again, he will be better positioned!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Dubai is a fine city, which is actually built on rather solid fundamentals! Give Dubai time....No matter what anyone says, there will always be many takers for a slice of the Dubai dream!
Dubai is only going through a slowdown.....for the prudent amongst us, take advantage of the opportunity, such that wen dubai does actually pick up again, he will be better positioned!

Sage admires your optimism. :lol:
RobbyG

Mar 18, 2009
Good grief, Robby! You tell me to get back on topic. The MARKETING of Dubai and its property, tourism and goods IS THE ECONOMY OF DUBAI!!
Domains like DubaiWorldTradeCentre.co.uk can be used to MARKET THAT TRADE CENTRE TO BRITISH BUSINESSMEN!!

It seems to me that too many people on this forum are more concerned about what money THEY CAN GET OUT OF DUBAI instead of being concerned about marketing the place and its products to the outsside world and thereby EARNING MONEY FOR DUBAI and helping its economy.

How can ANYONE talk about "ECONOMIC RECOVERY" without an emphasis on MARKETING??

If you are IN DUBAI or earned money from the place , you should be APPLAUDING all marketing efforts!!

There seems to be too much of an "us and them" situation and too much of a carpetbagging attitude amongst many.

Sure, Dubai has been over-ambitious and spendthrift......however , if Abu Dhabi helps them out and they show constraint, they can improve things.

COME ON DUBAI!!! GET MARKETING!!!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
RedKite wrote:Good grief, Robby! You tell me to get back on topic. The MARKETING of Dubai and its property, tourism and goods IS THE ECONOMY OF DUBAI!!
Domains like DubaiWorldTradeCentre.co.uk can be used to MARKET THAT TRADE CENTRE TO BRITISH BUSINESSMEN!!

It seems to me that too many people on this forum are more concerned about what money THEY CAN GET OUT OF DUBAI instead of being concerned about marketing the place and its products to the outsside world and thereby EARNING MONEY FOR DUBAI and helping its economy.

How can ANYONE talk about "ECONOMIC RECOVERY" without an emphasis on MARKETING??

If you are IN DUBAI or earned money from the place , you should be APPLAUDING all marketing efforts!!

There seems to be too much of an "us and them" situation and too much of a carpetbagging attitude amongst many.

Sure, Dubai has been over-ambitious and spendthrift......however , if Abu Dhabi helps them out and they show constraint, they can improve things.

COME ON DUBAI!!! GET MARKETING!!!!

Good grief? I tell you what I'm gonna do.
Im gonna open at topic especially for you and your marketing talk.

This crap is really annoying as it comes across EVERY topic I look.

Look in the forum tree for your RedKite Marketing Dubai topic
RobbyG

Mar 19, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

I admire your optimism.

I can do better than that:
'Everything is fine gals and girls. Nothing wrong, continue what your doing.'
'Don't look back, the future is all that counts. YOU!!! lashesss, for looking back!! '
'Everything is ok, nothing to see, lets all put out the flowerbeds to cheer things up.'

Sage, you can't handle two way arguments can you? Every coin has two sides. It seems to me you only want to see one side. Am I right?

I have no idea what you are driving at
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 19, 2009
Well, it was to point out my gut feeling that you only want to hear 'one way positive talk'. And are not open to the less positive (or minor negative) talk about the current economic conditions in Dubai. Its reality and therefore better to face it, before turning all positive again. (good for my psyche though)

I've been a follower of the global economic downturn since 2002, when the US of A denied a dot.com recession and opened up policy that made this easy credit expansion possible that is now threatening our financial system.
To keep it simple, current conditions were foreseeable (I had my eyeopener later on) with the proper knowledge as a large group of people (consumers, property investors and major banks) were not aware about risks involved. So the current downturn is simply a consequence of irrational behaviour by everyone. Trees don't grow into heaven and bubbles burst or at least deflate significantly. Thats what happens also in Dubai's property market, a large part of the economy.

I'm probably slipping/wandering off in the eye of the simple mind, but this severe recession (or growing depression in EU/US) is needed to get people back on true grounds.

Reality is hard for some, but if you face it directly, things get better way faster. A recession is therefore a good thing. It brings equilibrium to markets. Only if current US government policy was based on free markets and not intervening policies like it does today, this crisis would be slightly harder but a lot less shorter than it has become to be in the future. Quantative easing never worked as it inflates prices to former levels and props up so called Zombie banks

Maybe I talk 'utter nonsense' to you now. But I just try pointing out a minor step in the thought process that led us here. Everyone gets a big lesson in fiscal responsibility. The Maktoum family also, maybe a bit less severe than in Europe and the US.

Knowing the backgrounds of this crisis make me a bit 'irritated' when people only want to see the optimism that led to this crisis. Its just like watching CNBC's Fast Money or Squawk Box. Its just not real. Utter denial and ignorance.

Thats what I'm driving at...(holding the wheel firmly)
RobbyG

Mar 19, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Well, it was to point out my gut feeling that you only want to hear 'one way positive talk'. And are not open to the less positive (or minor negative) talk about the current economic conditions in Dubai. Its reality and therefore better to face it, before turning all positive again. (good for my psyche though)

I've been a follower of the global economic downturn since 2002, when the US of A denied a dot.com recession and opened up policy that made this easy credit expansion possible that is now threatening our financial system.
To keep it simple, current conditions were foreseeable (I had my eyeopener later on) with the proper knowledge as a large group of people (consumers, property investors and major banks) were not aware about risks involved. So the current downturn is simply a consequence of irrational behaviour by everyone. Trees don't grow into heaven and bubbles burst or at least deflate significantly. Thats what happens also in Dubai's property market, a large part of the economy.

I'm probably slipping/wandering off in the eye of the simple mind, but this severe recession (or growing depression in EU/US) is needed to get people back on true grounds.

Reality is hard for some, but if you face it directly, things get better way faster. A recession is therefore a good thing. It brings equilibrium to markets. Only if current US government policy was based on free markets and not intervening policies like it does today, this crisis would be slightly harder but a lot less shorter than it has become to be in the future. Quantative easing never worked as it inflates prices to former levels and props up so called Zombie banks

Maybe I talk 'utter nonsense' to you now. But I just try pointing out a minor step in the thought process that led us here. Everyone gets a big lesson in fiscal responsibility. The Maktoum family also, maybe a bit less severe than in Europe and the US.

Knowing the backgrounds of this crisis make me a bit 'irritated' when people only want to see the optimism that led to this crisis. Its just like watching CNBC's Fast Money or Squawk Box. Its just not real. Utter denial and ignorance.

Thats what I'm driving at...(holding the wheel firmly)

It is not that I am only for positive feedback, what I like to see stated is the truth and not conjecture etc.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 19, 2009
Ok, maybe I have to adjust my gut feeling. Your responses to some of the topics around the serious downturn situation Dubai is in, just sound so abject to (any) criticism.

I could be wrong here. But it doesn't show in your posts from my viewpoint.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat