The Simulators

Topic locked
Re: The Simulators Oct 18, 2011
Flying Dutchman wrote:
shafique wrote:2+3 could also equal 10. ;)

How?

2+3 in dec, hex, and oct is 5. In binairy 10+11=101

Think outside the box FD - between hex and binary there are other bases. ;)

Zonker - to me too, 2 + 3 equals 5, but others may not live in a base 10 world.

But back to the main issue - I have no issue with other people's beliefs - and agnosticism is a rational belief, as is atheism. But so too is religion I'd argue - all three have underlying assumptions, and ultimately is a choice of 'beliefs' IMO.

Let's revisit after you've read Salam.

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Simulators Dec 05, 2011
zonker wrote:The only hope is if the Simulators liked our character enough, they might recreate us in another simulation :D Keep your fingers crossed.

What if there is a separate simulation of paradise and the sum of all information that is our consciousness is automatically moved to it after death in this simulation? :D
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: The Simulators Dec 05, 2011
shafique wrote:2+3 could also equal 10

No. Not in this universe. If you ignore the form and consider the substance behind the symbols 2+3 = 5

zonker wrote:humans are designed to know only a fraction of what is really "out there"

Designed by whom? :)
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: The Simulators Dec 06, 2011
2+3 can indeed equal 10 - in this universe.

1 + 1 = 10 (for example)

1+ 2 = 10 also

(Answer - do not think in base 10, decimal system - the first is in base 4, the second is binary/base 2, and the third is base 3. Binary is used in all computers, Hex is also commonly used - 10 is only 'ten' in base 10 - it is 2 in base two and 5 in base 4)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Simulators Dec 09, 2011
shafique, You are playing with the form - the symbols, and offer different meaning for those symbols.
I was talking about the substance behind the symbols. 2 apples + 3 apples = 5 apples. You can not change this.
I am using the decimal system just for you to be able to imagine how many apples I mean.
I could as well do it in binary 10 apples + 11 apples = 101 apples but the substance does not change, the number of physical apples will still be the same.
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: The Simulators Dec 09, 2011
shafique wrote:2+3 could also equal 10. ;)

(There are I0 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't)

But seriously, given that 99% of the knowledge is unknown, I find it odd to not have a view on the 99% of the yet to be proven/discovered aspects of knowledge. Indeed, having a view is part of the scientific method - it spurs experimentation.

Andy, my comment was mathematically correct (and indeed was using symbols) - but was a light hearted diversion from the main discussion - the smiley and the statement in brackets immediately after this - and indeed the 'but seriously..' were meant to highlight this.

The serious point is also that we should test our theories - sometimes what we believe as absolute truths based on our experiences prove not to be absolute, and there are unforeseen subtleties or indeed exceptions which seem illogical. In this case the assumption in my example and joke shows that the underlying assumption that symbols are in a decimal system and not binary or base 5 may not always hold.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Simulators Jul 06, 2012
Andyba
Dubai Forum Admin

Re: The Simulators Jul 10, 2012
Andyba wrote:Designed by whom?
Well, I think that means the Human design.
Its an interesting question as to who designed it all. This is a question no scientist in the recent past would have entertained for fear of being ridiculed! Now, it has become a question that is increasingly being asked in scientific circles.
I came across this rather intriguing and stimulating program by some eminent scientists, Britain's Sir Martin Rees, Astronomer Royal since 1995, being one of them.
I posted it in the High Tech Section, but I believe it may have been missed there.
For anyone interested in such things, this is of very fundamental importance :)
I was fascinated by Mathematician John Conways game of Life. How the game seems to come alive with a few rules. The Laws of Nature seem to play the same role in the Universe, giving direction to everything, including evolution and ultimately human intelligence and beyond.

Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums