God Delusion - Dawkins

Topic locked
God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 14, 2010
eh quoted Dawkins recently talking about Muslims who believe God created the universe.

I said I would ask 'eh's views on other aspects of Dawkin's work - notably what he has to say about the Bible in his book 'The God Delusion'.

I'll start with a quote about the Old Testament where he sums up the God of the Israelites (and hence ties in with the 'Biblical war crimes' thread):

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” (Chapter 2, p. 31)

eh - once you've looked up the long words, can you let me know whether you agree with this assessment and whether or which words/attributes you think the Bible does not give examples for?

Let's deal with the quotes in bite-sized chunks, for now - but let me just quote another tit-bit which actually rings true when we take into account the condoning of the massacres of civilians and enslavements of virgins by eh - based on Biblical accounts:

“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...”
(Chapter 7, p.237)

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for your quote from Dawkins. I wonder what he has to say about the god of the Koran (care to post it)?

To me, the big claim, or argument, that Dawkins actually makes is that Jews/Christians cannot actually derive morality from the Bible.

Do you agree with this assessment that this is what Dawkins is saying or am I to address anything else from Dawkins?
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 15, 2010
Happy to address what Dawkins has to say about the Quran separately.

I asked whether you agreed with the quotes I gave above though - and if not, which particular attribute of the OT Biblical God do you disagree with (and why)?

The quote about morality is indeed a valid one - but one we are exploring in the 'Biblical War Crimes' thread - where the Muslims and non-fundamentalists are all united in condemning the Israelite massacres of civilians and enslavement/rape of virgins which you are happy to condone because the Bible says it is ok.

No need to for you to avoid the question of your morality being more extreme than Bin Laden in two threads - just address the first question.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

To be fair to Dawkins, let me give the second quotation the full context:

To be fair, much of the Bible is not systematically evil but just plain weird, as you would expect of a chaotically cobbled-together anthology of disjointed documents, composed, revised, translated, distorted and 'improved' by hundreds of anonymous authors, editors and copyists, unknown to us and mostly unknown to each other, spanning nine centuries. This may explain some of the sheer strangeness of the Bible. But unfortunately it is this same weird volume that religious zealots hold up to us as the inerrant source of
our morals and rules for living. Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it, as Bishop John Shelby Spong, in The Sins of Scripture, rightly observed.

pg 237

(Reference for how the Bible was 'cobbled together' :"Lane Fox (1992); Berlinerblau (2005)")

This is in accord with my observation that most Christians rightly ignore the weirder aspects of the Bible - and that most would reel in abhorence at eh's justification of the Biblical war crimes of the Israelites - which make him more extreme a religious fanatic than Al Qaeda.

So - context established, is there anything in the two quotes you challenge eh? I have quite a number more to go through with you.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well, Dawkins is basing his conclusions of God in the OT from stories that are also found in the Koran. For instance, Dawkins isn't a big fan of Ibrahim's attempted sacrifice of his son, calling it 'child-abuse'. Do you agree?
event horizon

Oh, don't worry - we'll get to the NT in due course. As I said before, I'm happy to tackle any claims he makes about the Quran separately - but the quotes above are about the Biblical accounts.

I asked whether you disputed any of the conclusions that Dawkins listed above.

If you don't, I'll move on to the next quotes - but however, I don't want to assume you don't have any answers to Dawkins' summary. Do you have any objections?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 16, 2010
Not from the debate from Dawkins I've seen. He condemns Ibrahim as a religious fanatic and describes his attempted sacrifice of his own son, because Allah told him to, as child abuse (his son must have been emotionally traumatized after having father almost murder him).

Do you agree or disagree with Dawkins that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic and that he committed child abuse?
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 17, 2010
I disagree with Dawkins when he generally makes the point that teaching any child religion is akin to child abuse. I also don't share his views about Abraham you describe either (but if you can post his actual words, I can be more specific and categoric).

However, the question I asked you was over the quotes above about what the Bible says about God in the OT. If you are not going to dispute his summaries - I can move on to the other quotes from God Delusion.

I don't disagree with his characterisations as quoted above. Do you?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So, you do or don't disagree with Dawkins' view that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic and mentally abused his son when he attempted to sacrifice him?

Since Dawkins' views on the God of the OT is based, in part, on stories such as these, then I suppose you would have to reject what Dawkins says.

One the one hand, you don't agree with Dawkins' view that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic, etc but on the other, you are saying that you agree with Dawkins' views of the God of the OT. You seem to be very contradictory without even realizing it - even after this is pointed out to you.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:So, you do or don't disagree with Dawkins' view that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic and mentally abused his son when he attempted to sacrifice him?

Was my answer unclear:
shafique wrote:I also don't share his views about Abraham you describe either (but if you can post his actual words, I can be more specific and categoric).

'Don't share his view' = I don't share his view. I.e. I disagree with your description of his view. I do not agree. Capish? ;)

event horizon wrote:Since Dawkins' views on the God of the OT is based, in part, on stories such as these, then I suppose you would have to reject what Dawkins says.

Why?

I'm just like you - I accept some parts of the Bible and reject others. Strange that you would think otherwise.

So, my question still stands:
shafique wrote:I asked whether you disputed any of the conclusions that Dawkins listed above.

If you don't, I'll move on to the next quotes - but however, I don't want to assume you don't have any answers to Dawkins' summary. Do you have any objections?

I'm giving you an opportunity to say what you object to in Dawkins' summary listed (he doesn't talk about Ibrahim in the quotes I give) - before I move on to other quotes.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

As I said, you're full of contradictions.

Dawkins' view of the God of the OT is based, in part, on these types of stories which are also found in the Koran - Ibrahim's attempted sacrifice of his son, God's jealousy and rage towards others, God's genocidal behavior.

These are all attributes that not only describe the God of the OT but also the 'God' of the Koran. You said previously that you agreed with Dawkins' view about God in the OT. So, does that mean you view the God of the Koran to be the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” ???
event horizon

Hey, if you can pick and choose what parts of the Bible to believe - why can't I?

So, do you have any disagreement with what Dawkins says in the quotes above. Let me repeat it, just so you can read it again before I give you the next set of quotes for you to accept/deny:

Richard Dawkins wrote:“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” (Chapter 2, p. 31)

(If you want to extrapolate these characteristics to the Quran - that's your perogative, but this thread is about what Dawkins says and exploring whether you agree with him or not)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

This is not about me. This is about you.

You've said that you don't agree with Dawkins that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic because he sacrificed (he would have) his son on an altar after God told him so. According to Dawkins, his son also suffered psychological trauma after that incident.

So, it looks like that you are now contradicting yourself when you said you agree with Dawkins' description of God in the OT.

Then again, you've already come out and said that you're fine with old men dating 11 year olds. So, I guess you are being pretty consistent when it comes to child abuse.
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 18, 2010
I've already answered your question about what you say Dawkins says about Abraham. I said I disagree with what you say he says.

The question now is whether you challenge or agree with what I've quoted above concerning the OT.

If you have no objections - then I'll move on to the next quote from God delusion.

Strange that you don't want to defend the Bible (I'm happy to disagree with Dawkins if he characterises Abraham as you say he does).

I'll take it as read that you can't defend the OT if you continue to avoid the question, and I'll move on to the next quote - speak now, or forever have me reminding you that you agree with Dawkins!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Like you, I disagree with Dawkins' view of God in the OT. Though, he was pretty adamant of his disapproval of Ibrahim - saying that his actions were equivalent to child abuse and that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic who would have gone ahead and sacrificed his own son on an altar because God told him so - the knife was in his hand and everything.

But thank you for stating that you don't consider Ibrahim to be a religious fanatic. Could you perhaps explain why you don't think a father who attempts to murder his son because Allah told him so is not a religious fanatic?

Do you think such an action would, at the very least, be a form of child abuse (seeing your father about to murder you and what not)?
event horizon

Cool, so what specifically do you disagree with Dawkins on then in the quote given?

I happen to agree with the list he gives- so let's clarify this quote before I move on to the next one. I've numbered his list of characteristics - let me know which ones you disagree with and why (and perhaps we can examine which verses of the OT Dawkins is basing his conclusions on)

Richard Dawkins wrote:“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction:

1.jealous and proud of it;
2. a petty,
3. unjust,
4. unforgiving control-freak;
5. a vindictive,
6. bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser;
7. a misogynistic,
8.homophobic,
9. racist,
10. infanticidal,
11. genocidal,
12. filicidal,
13. pestilential,
14. megalomaniacal,
15. sadomasochistic,
16. capriciously malevolent bully.” (Chapter 2, p. 31)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

He's obviously based his conclusions of God from the story of Ibrahim sacrificing his son. That is why we both reject what Dawkins says - since sacrificing your son because God tells you to do so is not an instance of religious fanaticism.
event horizon

Which numbered allegation do you think is based on Abraham's actions?

Why is his conclusion wrong for these characteristics?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ok, whilst you're working out the question above, here's the next quotation from the book.

This relates to general authorship of the Bible and cites one historical inaccuracy relating to where Jesus was born - quoted in full so that you can digest the context and let us know whether you agree or disagree with Dawkins well laid out argument:

The fact that something is written down is persuasive to people not used to asking questions like: 'Who wrote it, and when?' 'How did they know what to write?' 'Did they, in their time, really mean what we, in our time, understand them to be saying?' 'Were they unbiased observers, or did they have an agenda that coloured their writing?' Ever since the nineteenth century, scholarly theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are not reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world. All were written long after the death of Jesus, and also after the epistles of Paul, which mention almost none of the alleged facts of Jesus' life. All were then copied and recopied, through many different 'Chinese Whispers generations' (see Chapter 5) by fallible scribes who, in any case, had their own religious agenda.

A good example of the colouring by religious agendas is the whole heart-warming legend of Jesus' birth in Bethlehem, followed by Herod's massacre of the innocents. When the gospels were written, many years after Jesus' death, nobody knew where he was born. But an Old Testament prophecy (Micah 5:2) had led Jews to expect that the long-awaited Messiah would be born in Bethlehem.

In the light of this prophecy, John's gospel specifically remarks that his followers were surprised that he was not born in Bethlehem:
'Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?'

Matthew and Luke handle the problem differently, by deciding that Jesus must have been born in Bethlehem after all. But they get him there by different routes. Matthew has Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem all along, moving to Nazareth only long after the birth of Jesus, on their return from Egypt where they fled from King Herod and the massacre of the innocents. Luke, by contrast, acknowledges that Mary and Joseph lived in Nazareth before Jesus was born. So how to get them to Bethlehem at the crucial moment, in order to fulfil the prophecy? Luke says that, in the time when Cyrenius (Quirinius) was governor of Syria, Caesar Augustus decreed a census for taxation purposes, and everybody had to go 'to his own city'. Joseph was 'of the house and lineage of David' and therefore he had to go to 'the city of David, which is called Bethlehem'. That must have seemed like a good solution. Except that historically it is complete nonsense, as A. N. Wilson in Jesus and Robin Lane Fox in The Unauthorized Version (among others) have pointed out. David, if he existed, lived nearly a thousand years before Mary and Joseph. Why on earth would the Romans have required Joseph to go to the city where a remote ancestor had lived a millennium earlier? It is as though I were required to specify, say, Ashby-de-la-Zouch as my home town on a census form, if it happened that I could trace my ancestry back to the Seigneur de Dakeyne, who came over with William the Conqueror and settled there.

Moreover, Luke screws up his dating by tactlessly mentioning events that historians are capable of independently checking. There was indeed a census under Governor Quirinius - a local census, not one decreed by Caesar Augustus for the Empire as a whole - but it happened too late: in AD 6, long after Herod's death. Lane Fox concludes that 'Luke's story is historically impossible and internally incoherent', but he sympathizes with Luke's plight and his desire to fulfil the prophecy of Micah.

[pg 92-24]
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

You would have to ask Dawkins himself to find out how much the story of Ibrahim sacrificing his own son because Allah told him so influenced his overall view of Allah/God.
event horizon

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 19, 2010
You seem to be missing the point. If you disagree with Dawkin's conclusions - please state why and which ones you disagree. I happen to agree with his conclusions.

Whether he is basing some of the points on the incident where Abraham does not kill his son, may be a defence against one or two points - but I can't see how, as there will be other incidents in the OT which graphically illustrate the same points.

Also note, theres a second quote for you to deal with now - relating to the NT this time.

It looks like you're gearing up for another 'All Mouth, No Trousers' demonstration.

Are you really not going to defend the Bible?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

So, just to be clear - the two points we're waiting for you replies to are:

1. the list of attributes of God from the OT - do you disagree that the OT does show God acting in these ways?

2. the quote about how the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem being inserted to fit in with OT prophecies in the later Gospels (written perhaps a century after the events) - shows that the Bible is not a historical document. Do you challenge the facts presented?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ahem sorry to interupt you love birds :D . after a long time I visited this section and see you two are still at it. I was just wondering, you two must have realised after a year of cuddling that there really is no point is asking either one of you a direct question as there will never be a direct or yes or no answer. Right ? Anywhoo.

End of commercial break now back to regular viewing 8)
desertdudeshj

:mrgreen:

I've got a private target of the total number of direct questions eh will refuse to answer. I'm about half-way there.

(I'm easily amused, you see)

;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

We've already agreed that you don't agree with Dawkins over the issue of Ibrahim being a religious fanatic - Dawkins makes the point that Ibrahim is a religious fanatic who would have murdered his own child because a voice in his head told him so.

You say that is not religious fanaticism.

To each his own, I say!

Since we now both agree that Dawkins is laboring under a misunderstanding of Allah and Ibrahim, according to you, it is only fair to conclude that Dawkins is not viewing the rest of the stories of the OT correctly.

I mean, if Dawkins is going to pass judgment on Ibrahim for terrifying his own son in an attempted sacrifice (because a voice in his head told him to sacrifice his own son), then obviously Dawkins is biased when it comes to the rest of the stories in the OT.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:We've already agreed that you don't agree with Dawkins over the issue of Ibrahim being a religious fanatic -

Really? When did you quote what Dawkins has to say about Abraham not sacrificing his son? Are you confusing me with someone else?

In this thread, I've quoted Dawkins giving his opinion of the OT and NT - and on these points, I have to agree with him.

The question remains, do you disagree with Dawkins?

It appears I was not mistaken in thinking I had to clarify what the questions were:
shafique wrote:So, just to be clear - the two points we're waiting for you replies to are:

1. the list of attributes of God from the OT - do you disagree that the OT does show God acting in these ways?

2. the quote about how the story of Jesus being born in Bethlehem being inserted to fit in with OT prophecies in the later Gospels (written perhaps a century after the events) - shows that the Bible is not a historical document. Do you challenge the facts presented?
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: God Delusion - Dawkins Mar 20, 2010
You disagree with Dawkins' view that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic - because, as Dawkins says, he (Ibrahim) put his son on an altar, knife in hand, seconds away from bearing down on his son before the same voice that told him to sacrifice his son changed its mind and said to sacrifice a lamb/ram - do you not?
event horizon

event horizon wrote:You disagree with Dawkins' view that Ibrahim was a religious fanatic

Well, I'm still waiting for you to quote Dawkins, to be honest. Perhaps I will disagree with him about his interpretation of Abraham not sacrificing his son.

However, I do agree with him on the quotes I've given above, and the questions for you are still hanging:

shafique wrote:So, just to be clear - the two points we're waiting for you replies to are:

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Ok - so you don't think that someone who puts his own son on an altar, binds him, has a dagger held tight in his hand, ready to pounce on his son because a voice in his head told him to do so, is a religious extremist.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Ok - so you don't think that someone who puts his own son on an altar, binds him, has a dagger held tight in his hand, ready to pounce on his son because a voice in his head told him to do so, is a religious extremist.

I'm waiting for you to quote Dawkins on the subject. (All mouth, no trousers - again?). When you do, I may agree or disagree with his views on Abraham not sacrificing his son.

In the meantime, the questions to you remain:

I'm enjoying watching you avoid answering questions.

;)
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums