IDF: Ugliness Exposed

Topic locked
IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 16, 2010
Haaretz reports on pictures the IDF wishes weren't published which expose how Palestinians are treated:
"The horrible pictures demonstrate a norm of treating Palestinians like objects instead of human beings – treatment that disregards their feelings as humans and their right to privacy."

He added: "The soldier would go crazy if photographs of her in humiliating circumstances had been posted on the internet without her permission. We call upon IDF commanders to issue orders to prevent this kind of humiliating behavior."

IDF soldier posts images of blindfold Palestinians on Facebook, from 'best time of my life'
By Haaretz Service

A former Israel Defense Forces soldier has raised a storm on the internet after posting photographs of herself posing next to blindfold Palestinian prisoners on Facebook.

Photographs uploaded by Eden from Ashdod and labeled "IDF – the best time of my life" show her smiling next to Palestinian prisoners with their hands bound and their eyes covered.

"That looks really sexy for you," says a comment posted by one of Eden's friend on the social networking site, alongside a picture or the soldier smiling in front of two blindfold men.

Eden's repose, posted below, reads: "I wonder if he is on Facebook too – I'll have to tag him in the photo."

Because Eden was discharged a year ago, the army has no power to prevent her from publicizing the photographs.

The pictures have since been removed from the site - but not before being duplicated across the web by a variety of bloggers and news sites.

The IDF said in a statement: "These actions are ugly and callous; details of the incident have been forwarded up the chain of command."

Israeli blogger Lisa Goldman contacted the former soldier via Facebook, who replied: "I don't speak to leftists."

In the past year, the IDF hs announced new strict rules for soldiers, forbidding them to post photos from military operations and bases.

IDF military intelligence has an office tasked with identifying leaks of sensitive material and can refer cases to military police, potentially leading to a criminal conviction for any soldier caught breaking information security directives.

Yishai Menuchin, the director of the Public Committee Against Torture, an NGO, Yishai Menuchin, condemned the soldiers actions:

"The horrible pictures demonstrate a norm of treating Palestinians like objects instead of human beings – treatment that disregards their feelings as humans and their right to privacy."

He added: "The soldier would go crazy if photographs of her in humiliating circumstances had been posted on the internet without her permission. We call upon IDF commanders to issue orders to prevent this kind of humiliating behavior."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/id ... e-1.308402

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 17, 2010
The lady in question doesn't know what the fuss is about and says she did nothing wrong. The IDF, recognising a PR disaster when it sees one, has denounced her actions and still she doesn't want to play along!

As Paul Woods explains, she is not alone - only she was silly in making the photos public:
A great many young Israeli soldiers have photograph albums quite similar to Eden Aberjil's "The army: the best days of my life".

The only difference is that they do not post them on Facebook.

That explains her remark that she still did not "understand what was wrong" and the comment of Dr Ishai Menuchin of the Committee Against Torture in Israel that "she is a bad apple, but all the box are bad apples".

The IDF likes to think of itself as the most ethical army in the world and so condemned the photographs in strident terms. (They are also no fools when it comes to public relations).

For most young conscripts, and young Israelis who have completed their military service, I suspect the reaction will not be outrage but a simple shrug of the shoulders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10997011

No wonder the fanbois are restless!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 18, 2010
'Facebook photos of soldiers posing with bound Palestinians are the norm'

Rights group Breaking the Silence refutes IDF claim that photos posted by female soldier under the heading 'the time of my life' are an anomaly.
By Haaretz Service

Facebook photos depicting Israel Defense Forces soldiers pictured alongside handcuffed and blindfolded Palestinian detainees represent the norm, not the exception, in IDF conduct, an Israeli human rights group said on Tuesday, thus refuting an official army statement claiming the opposite.

Photographs uploaded by Eden Abergil released earlier this week and labeled "IDF – the best time of my life," sparked massive public outrage. The photos depicted Abergil smiling next to Palestinian prisoners with their hands bound and their eyes covered.

A comment attached to one of the photos of the soldier smiling in front of two blindfold men and posted by one of Abergil's friends read "That looks really sexy for you," with Abergil's response reading: "I wonder if he is on Facebook too – I'll have to tag him in the photo."

An IDF spokesman had issued a response on Monday, saying that "on the face of it the behavior exhibited by the soldier is base and crude."

In a statement released Tuesday by Breaking the Silence, an organization that collects testimonies of Israeli soldiers on alleged abuse of Palestinians in the territories, the group said that while the IDF claimed to be "shocked" by Abergil's photos, it did not represent "the ugly behavior of just one person."

The statement released in a Facebook page called "The Norm that IDF Spokesman Avi Benayahu Denies," also included several graphic photos depicting soldiers posing next to the bodies of suspected militants as well as next to handcuffed detainees [viewer discretion is advised].

In the Facebook page, Breaking the Silence said that the norms the photos allegedly expose were the" necessary result of a long-term military control of a civilian population."

"We suggest that the IDF Spokesman not insult the intelligence of the Israeli public, and clarify that it is a widespread phenomenon, not an aberration caused by a single soldier," the statement said, adding that the enclosed photos were taken at several times during the last ten years and represented only a "preliminary batch."

Speaking to Army Radio earlier Tuesday, Abergil, whose Facebook photos caused a worldwide media storm, said she still couldn't see what was wrong with the images, saying the "pictures were taken in good faith, there was no statement in them."

Referring to the possibility that the images could injure Israel's image in the international arena, Abergil said: "We will always be attacked. Whatever we do, we will always be attacked."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... m-1.308582
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness Exposed Aug 19, 2010
Haaretz Editorial:

Facebook humiliations reveal an ethical vacuum in the IDF
http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/op ... e-1.308691

(The Editorial was written before the news of the stealing carried out by officers)

Ethical vacuum indeed.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 19, 2010
Hey Shaf. Haven't you been able to find another hobby??? It's the same thing over and over.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 19, 2010
:lol:

Just passing the time and watching the Israeli PR implode is fascinating.

The challenging of loons is just for fun - always interesting to see how the arguments whither with exposure to facts, a bit like slugs and salt. But like slugs they keep coming back for more! ;)

(And, not having coffee breaks doesn't help either!) ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness Exposed Aug 19, 2010
Anyone else notice that this thread is remarkably free of fanbois?

I think this must be one story they can't spin! Well done guys, no attempt to justify/condone this act (and the one about the Pirates of the Med selling loot).

Was really the best eh could do was ressurect a thread about the banning of smoking? ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 20, 2010
isnt the IDF made up of soilders from different countries like Russia etc etc??
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 22, 2010
What she did was unethical. The American left still has an impossible task convincing that the US army is more ethical than the IDF. Abu Ghraib was about se.xual degradation. For the rest some blury pictures trying to convince the world this is the norm, yeah right. Lets not forget this also caused an uproar in Israel itself: self-criticism!
There is a video on the net what Islamists do with prisoners: slicing their head. The fotage I consider however too bloody and traumatic (you can better be caught by the IDF than Jihadists). Here is a transcript from Chechenya:

Russian prisoner, just a kid, is lying on the grass….

Chechen with knife: “Turn around.”

Kid moves a bit sideways…

Chechen off-camera: “LIE DOWN!”

Chechen takes the knife out and bends towards the kid…

Lipatov: “You don’t have to cut me…I’ll tell you everything…”

Chechen with knife: “What are you gonna tell me?”

Chechen off-camera: “Go ahead, talk…”

Lipatov: “I’ll tell you where it’s located.”

Chechen off-camera: “Where is it located?”

Lipatov points towards a hill with houses: “There, in that house.”

Chechen with knife: “What?”

Chechen off-camera: “What is in that house?”

Lipatov: “Weapons and ammo.”

Chechen with knife: “Where? In that house?” Points.

Lipatov: “Yes from there.”

Chechen with knife looks at his comrade.

Chechen off-camera: “Hes lying…”

Chechen off-camera: “Lie on the ground.”

Chechen with knife: “What else can you tell us?”

Chechen off-camera: “Where are the weapons?”

Lipatov: “What?”

Chechen off-camera: “The weapons and the ammo.”

Lipatov: “On the top of the mountain.”

Chechen with knife: “Where?”

Lipatov: “There on top.” Points.

Chechen with knife: “Are you sure?”

Lipatov: “Yes, yes.”

AK shots fired…Chechen with knife backs off and doesn’t want to cut him…feels sorry for the kid:

“What do you want me to do?” in Chechen.

Chechen off-camera: “Just cut him.”

Lipatov: “There, it’s right there.” Points.

Chechens yell: “Leave him alone and come back!”

A bunch of them yell at once. Gunshots fired from AK.

Chechens keep yelling: “Leave him alone…come back already.” (They are referring to the other kid that ran.)

Chechen with the knife: “Turn around.”

Chechen: “Take off your belt.”

Chechens off-camera: “Come on, cut him up.”

Lipatov: “You don’t have to.”

Chechen off-camera: “Just cut ‘im up already.”

Lipatov: “You don’t have to, please…”

Chechen scum hits him with the belt.

Chechen: “All right, come on!”

Chechen with Adidas jacket: “Hands back!”

Lipatov: “Please don’t.”

Chechen (Adidas): “Hands back!”

Chechen (Adidas) hits Lipatov in the face: “I said hands back!!”

Lipatov gets hit with an AK.

Chechen off-camera: “Quickly, quickly.”

Lipatov: “Please, let’s talk…”

Chechen with camera: “HANDS BACK! You ****.”

Chechen: “**** the belt.”

Rifle hits the kid.

Chechen off-camera: “Just ****ing cut him already!”

Lipatov: “Please, I don’t want to.”

They wrestle.

Lipatov screams: “I DON’T WANT TO DIE! PLEASE!”

Chechens: “Cut him.”

Lipatov cries.

Lipatov: “I DON’T WANT TO DIE, PLEASE!! You are very good people, please!”

Cameraman: “Yes, we are very, very good people…THE BEST.”

Chechen: “Get the knife.”

Chechen punches the kid in the head a few times.

Chechen with the knife: “Stop ****ing hitting him.”

Cameraman: “You’re gonna live in Grave City.”

Lipatov: “MOMMY! MOMMY!”

Cameraman: “Torture him.”

Lipatov: “I WANT TO LIVE!”

Cameraman, sarcastically: “He wants to live!”

Lipatov screams…3 on 1, the Chechens attack him.

Lipatov: “Come on fellows…I just want to live.”

Chechen: “CUT HIM NOW.”

Lipatov: “Leave me alone!”

A Knife goes through Lipatov’s throat. Lipatov kneels while getting butted in the head with an AK.

Chechen with knife to the guy with the AK: “What the **** are you doing? **** off.”

Chechen with knife: “I’ll do this myself!”

A Chechen cuts Lipatov’s neck, stabs him in the neck…over and over and over…Lipatov is dead.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: IDF: Ugliness Exposed Aug 22, 2010
Bravo FD, first you agree this rotten apple is unethical ..but let's not forget that this charming lady has left the army with the view that she would gladly SLAUGHTER Arabs!

But then you spoil it with a great classic 'what aboutery' argument.. 'what about' the US army...'what about' Chechens.

Can't loons resist the 'what about' schoolyard excuses?

In the Facebook page, Breaking the Silence said that the norms the photos allegedly expose were the" necessary result of a long-term military control of a civilian population."

"We suggest that the IDF Spokesman not insult the intelligence of the Israeli public, and clarify that it is a widespread phenomenon, not an aberration caused by a single soldier," the statement said, adding that the enclosed photos were taken at several times during the last ten years and represented only a "preliminary batch."

I suggest you also don't insult the intelligence of the readers here with the usual loon smoke and mirrors defence.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: IDF: Ugliness exposed Aug 22, 2010
They proved this "widespread" phenomenon with less than ten blurry pics where some so called prisoners were actually wearing Israeli gear. :roll:

Kind of insulting. :idea:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: IDF: Ugliness Exposed Aug 22, 2010
Well, one of you is clearly wrong.

The IDF are accused of insulting the inteligence of people in the quote above as well as:
Dr Ishai Menuchin of the Committee Against Torture in Israel that "she is a bad apple, but all the box are bad apples".

Kudos to you for sticking to defending the IDF generally.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk