Single Parent

Topic locked
Single Parent Jan 05, 2009
Hi,

I am a single mum living in Ireland. I am thinking of moving to Dubai.
Aviation has taken a down turn in Europe and I was made redundant
after 8 years. There seems to be work in Dubai but I am worried I would
not either get a job as a single mum or if I did get one I would not be able
to bring my son with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated [/b]

crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 05, 2009
If you're separated or divorced you should be fine. If you've never been married I think it may be difficult to bring your son.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 05, 2009
Thanks for that info.

No I have never been married, nearly got there but got a lucky escape!

Would I be able to get him a holiday visa? How long does it last for?

Kind regards,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 05, 2009
crewingb wrote:Would I be able to get him a holiday visa?

Irish nationals can get a free 60 day visit visa on arrival. I don't know if there's a minimum age requirement though.
bonk

Jan 05, 2009
Actually Bonk, it doesn't make a difference that she's never been married. They won't check. A friend of mine came here with her son and sponsored him - no issues.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 06, 2009
Ah. Good to know. Was it a wasta-free process?
bonk

Jan 06, 2009
As far as I know, yes.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 06, 2009
I think you should be fine, I know many people here who are single parents (divorced and never married). Good Luck.
BellaUK
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 07, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Actually Bonk, it doesn't make a difference that she's never been married. They won't check. A friend of mine came here with her son and sponsored him - no issues.

It is risky, as always never a problem until their is a problem, if caught prison and deportation are a great possibility.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 07, 2009
Oh my God! Depotation I could handle but prison! Could they really put an Irish national in prison for being a single mum?
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 07, 2009
I would disagree with Chocs.

I had the forms for residency for my son. The form requires a signature for BOTH parents to sign. It also asks the relationship between them. If married it requires an attested copy of the marriage certificate.

In the case of a married couple then only the father can sponsor a residency application for a child.

I would bet 100 dhs if you put on the form you were not related to the father then the application would fail at the first hurdle.

If 2 different names were put on the aplication ie "unmarried" then i still dont see how a residency application would be sucessful because as we all know it is not posssible for unmarried people to live together. Yes people do i know, but they arn't doing it within the residency process.

I guess it is possible that people can opt to not furnish the truth on their form. But unless Chocs knew what was put on the form of her friend, then i dont see how an unmarried mother could get residency for her child.

On a technical note but relevant all the same it not possible to take a child to live abroad from the UK without both parents permission. If a father or mother removed a child from the UK without such permission, then the other parent is within their right to take legal proceedings in the UK courts for to enforce his access rights. This applies to married and unmarried couples.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 07, 2009
I don't know what was put on the form. But I do know she came her with her son, was never married to the father and had no issues.

Instead of scaremongering, I would suggest talking to immigration direct.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 08, 2009
Thanks for all your help!

I know nothing about spons / visas! My little fello has the same name as me and holds his own passport. His father has no rights over him at all
the judge rulled that. His fathers name though is not on the birthcirt.

Brgds,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 08, 2009
crewingb wrote:Thanks for all your help!

I know nothing about spons / visas! My little fello has the same name as me and holds his own passport. His father has no rights over him at all
the judge rulled that. His fathers name though is not on the birthcirt.

Brgds,

Jenny.

His father has every right i am affraid whether absent or not. He can make an application the the court at any time to seek "parental rights". He can also issue an injunction if he knows either before or after you took his child out of the country.

If this injunction was granted you would have serious complications when entering back into the UK.

All children have their own passports irrespective of which parent has custody and whichever name he uses. His/her name has no bearing on his fathers parental rights.
arniegang

Jan 08, 2009
I'm afraid Armegang you are wrong, his father has no rights over my child. Neither does he want them.
The judge rulled on this.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 09, 2009
crewingb wrote:I'm afraid Armegang you are wrong, his father has no rights over my child. Neither does he want them.
The judge rulled on this.

A judge cannot make an order in contravention of the Childrens Act 2004

Extract here.......

An unmarried father who has separated from the child's mother does not need parental responsibility rights under the 2004 Children Act to apply to the courts for an order about where the child should live or an order for contact and access

Like i said, the childs father could at anytime make such an application and can do up until the childs 18th Birthday.
arniegang

Jan 10, 2009
Hi Arniegang,

He does not want access and clearly stated that in a solicitors letter last year. 5 years ago I had to take him to court for maintanance as I could
not manage on my own with creche fees being so high in Ireland. He
countersued for guardianship, even though he had never acknowledged
the child before, or seen him. The judge through it out. In Ireland he would have to have guardianship to stop me and after his behavour I would doubt if any judge would rule in his favour.

Kind regards,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

single parent Jan 14, 2009
Here my 2 cents, If I were you I would first check with the UK court if you can take the child out of the UK or Ireland. If your child has its own passport and you have have already sole custody, you may be able to leave the country with him. I am not sure about that either. By getting the passport for him, normally both parents
have to sign the application form. When traveling you may have to carry the court decree
of the custody with you and submit to the immigration officer upon request.
Even so if you have sole custody, the father has the right to see his child
and the child has the right to see his father, which maybe even more important for his development by establishing a relationship with him.
All I am saying the courts of all western nations are now pretty sensitive to those issues and those concern should not being taking lightly.
Alot of mixed nationalities in the UK and continental Europe abused the system in the past by taking their children to their home countries,
forever vanishing out of sight of the other parent.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
Hi macjul,

Yes I can take him out of the country with his passport as he is not on my own passport. With an affidavit from my solicitor, to say I have sole guardianship rights. He only gets a 4 year passport so I have had to go through this process 2 times. I would never and I would like to stress never have stopped his father from seeing him. I even encouraged it.
But to no avail he simply does not want to know.

Kind regards,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
crewingb wrote:Hi macjul,

Yes I can take him out of the country with his passport as he is not on my own passport. With an affidavit from my solicitor, to say I have sole guardianship rights. He only gets a 4 year passport so I have had to go through this process 2 times. I would never and I would like to stress never have stopped his father from seeing him. I even encouraged it.

Kind regards,

Jenny.

Jenny,
it seems that you have cleared that hurdle, on the Dubai side I would suggest
to find a company who can sponsor you and help you with your visa requirements.
All big companies have legal departments and know how to handle this.
If not then get an immigration lawyer in dxb ask him for advise before you do this on your own and most likely make a mistake which will be difficult to rectify later on.
Good luck
Regards
P.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 15, 2009
Hi P,

Thanks! First things first I have to find a job!

Regards,
Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 16, 2009
crewingb wrote:Hi P,

Thanks! First things first I have to find a job!

Regards,
Jenny.

Not so easy in these days of high unemployment
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 16, 2009
Hi Sage and Onion,

Don't I know it! Ireland has gone completly under water huge job losses
everywhere! Europe in genaral is the same. Which is why I'm looking at Middle East / Asia.

Kind regards,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 16, 2009
crewingb wrote:Hi macjul,

Kind regards,

Jenny.

some of your comments are actually cause for concern regarding the facts you state, which are totally incorrect.

Children 0 - 2 = 3 year passport
Children 3-17 = 5 year passport.

Children born after 2004, have been required to have their own passorts by law.

For a child from Birth they require a total of 4 passports.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=253

Guardianship does not give you carte blanche, it merely gives you the right to have your child live with you it does not give you the right to a change the childs name or take your child to live permenently to live in a foreign county.

A solicitors letter or affidavit confirming "guardianship" is worthless without the actual Court copy. If you had the court copy why would you require futher proof from a solicitor.

I suspect you have an alternative agenda which you have not posted here.
arniegang

Jan 16, 2009
Arniegang,

I don't like your tone, and I feel you are looking for an argument.
In IRELAND I got him a passport from 0-4 then 4-8 it needs to renewed
this year. I can get a letter from the court / solicitor no problem.

THERE IS NO HIDDEN ADGENDA!

I would not have posted here if I did not want to do things the proper channels.

Kind regards,

Jenny.
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 16, 2009
I have just looked at the website you provided.

The rules have changed since I applied 4 yrs ago. 5 years great, that saves me 100 euros in a solicitors fees for paperwork. Even though
his passport runs out this Jul so I will have to get him a new one but at
least one, it is for 5 yrs instead of 4.

Thanks Arniegang!
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 19, 2009
crewingb wrote:Arniegang,

I don't like your tone, and I feel you are looking for an argument.
In IRELAND I got him a passport from 0-4 then 4-8 it needs to renewed
this year. I can get a letter from the court / solicitor no problem.

THERE IS NO HIDDEN ADGENDA!

I would not have posted here if I did not want to do things the proper channels.

Kind regards,

Jenny.

I dont care much for your lack of knowledge and the untruths you post. Since 2004 children have been required to have their own passports. If your renewal is up in 2009 as you state, then you would have applied for a passport in either 2005 or 2006 (on the basis it was either a 3 or 4 year passport). Therefore you child cannot have a passport currently in date.

If you applied for a passport in either 2005 or 2006, then you would have only received a 3 year passort. They have never issued 4 year pasports :shock:

How do i know this ??

My brother holds a very very senior position at the passport office in Dublin. :lol:

Ohhhhh he also says if you look at the application form all you need to send in is the original copy of the court order granting and naming you as sole guardian. Solicitors letters or affidavits are not acceptable :D

If you are planning to do a runner with a child then at least get your story or facts correct.

You can fool some of the people some of the time not all the people all of the time.
arniegang

Jan 19, 2009
crewingb wrote:I have just looked at the website you provided.

The rules have changed since I applied 4 yrs ago. 5 years great, that saves me 100 euros in a solicitors fees for paperwork. Even though
his passport runs out this Jul so I will have to get him a new one but at
least one, it is for 5 yrs instead of 4.

Thanks Arniegang!

strange how you changed your story after you ACTUALLY read the governent website

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Jan 20, 2009
Hi Arniegang,

I don't believe your story about you brother either. I have to go to the Garda office get a new passport form plus an affivadit which must be completed by my solicitor. My lack of knowledge does not make me a
liar. When I have these forms completed the Garda station signs and stamps it and I send it in. I have just looked at his passport and it was
from 2004-2009 it may seem like a 5yr passport but actually it is not as
for most countries you must have 6 months validity on it, which is why I
state 4. I have not changed my story, just as you said I'm lacking in knowledge. He is 8 this year and has only held 2 passports.

I feel you have a personal gripe going on here, which has nothing to do with me! So leave me out of it please.
His Father removed himself from our childs life.
I did not remove him.

I am just an honest single mum trying to provide the best possible life
I can for my son. Ireland is not, nor in the new future going to be able to do that.

That's why I want to leave and the only reason.

Regards,

Crewingb
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

Jan 20, 2009
Arniegang,

If you are so well up on the Irish side of things and has a brother who is a senior staff member of Dublin Passport office, how come you did not come across or be told about this. Read! As this is the form I MUST FILL OUT AND GET SWORN AGAIN FOR THE 3RD TIME!

Get your facts straight! Before you have a go at me for getting some of them wrong. I have only ever leaft the country for hols, so my knowledge
never needed to be that good, which is why I came to this site.

Pls see my first post. It only asks what situation to expect, nothing else.

How dare you suggest I am tring to rob my son!

If somebody took your family away from you, I am sorry. :roll: :roll:

www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Passport_d ... idavit.pdf
crewingb
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum