Moving To Dubai - What To Bring, What Not?

Topic locked
Moving to Dubai - what to bring, what not? Aug 02, 2005
Hi There,
What do you think one should bring to Dubai?
I am trying to find out what to bring and what best to sell...

Especially e.g. oven, dishwasher, washing mashine, dryer, etc.
The trouble is, if you sell it at home you'll sell it under worth and have to by new ones. But taking it to Dubai might also be expensive!
What I would like to bring is my new sofa - but then: it could be damaged on the way, on the other hand it would not be so good to keep it in a celar or so for three years...

What is your experience, what furniture would you rather bring with you or leave behind?

Gokm

gokm
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 02, 2005
Electronics for the most part keep at home and undersell if you have to... These are cheap and plentiful in Dubai...

Furniture is not that expensive in Dubai but if you are worried of them rotting in your cellar, its not that expensive to ship...

Cars are cheaper than in Europe but about the same as in Canada before the taxes in Dubai... If your car is 3+ years old, sell it before leaving... If its quite new and not more than 1 year old, then it depends. If you sell it, will you lose more than in shipping (ie. which open is cheaper)... I calculated it for myself so I will bring my car down with me because shipping the is the cheaper option (used cars fetch very little in Canada)...

Clothes... Forget about winter parkas, gloves, boots, sweaters, turtlenecks and other European winter clothing. Bring on the sandals, shorts, and T-shirts (tanktops for the ladies please) 8)
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum