Employment Ban

Topic locked
employment ban Oct 01, 2006
before anyone says anything, yes i have gone through an earlier thread on the same topic, with answers given by dbxsoul. but after sometime, it all went above my head.....

anyways, I shall enlist my case here....

am working as a food and beverage manager with a hotel company in dubai since july 7, 2006. residence visa has been stamped on my passport wef july 29, 2006. for certain reasons, i am not comfortable working with the said company, primarily due to the way it functions and also there being a certain level of insecurity with regards to the job.....things that I was not aware of bebfore coming here. due to these reasons, i am keeping my options open, and am scouting for other opportunities in dubai.

what i would like to know is......

1. will there be a ban liable on me, even though i havent completed my 6 month probationary period?

2. there is an undertaking under article 128 of the labour laws regarding not taking up any work with competitive companies for a year. is this still valid.

3. what is the best way to get out of this? I have known of people who have left from my company, who have left before the stipulated contract expires, who haven't been given a ban, have had their visas cancelled, and then they are back after 2 weeks working with another company.

if anyone there can help me with my queries, and if they need to go through the details in my contract, please feel free to check with me (email me) and i can fwd them a copy of the contract.

cheers mates

rahul in dxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 01, 2006
First off yes you can get banned, if the company hasn't banned previous employees this is a good sign but yes you could be banned is the short answer.

If you are banned you can pay something like AED 6k and remove it. (don't know the details but am currently in the process of finding out)

There are also two types of bans, employment and residence, depending on how bad you piss of your current employer they can make it annoyingly painful for you.

If you only have the employment ban you can come in and work 'under the table' for the 6 months that you are banned, but technically it is illegal.

If you can buddy up to the PRO and know what the company will do to you before you give your notice and prepare for it.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum