Dubai Court Help

Topic locked
Dubai court help Oct 23, 2009
Hi,

I have been working for my company for 2 years and half. my contract was limited contract for one year for first year and second year i did not sign any contract because automatically gets renewed ( i think the contract would be limited again). I was not paid by my company for three month and I got arbitrary termination ( i think i would be entitled to extra three month since my contract was limited but the company does not believe so).

I filed the case in dubai court and in the small courts judge told me that company is willing to pay me 65% of total amount (my salary, end of service, unpaid vacation and arbitrary termination). i have not agreed to the amount and i am not happy because i want the total amount. If i dont agree the case will be taken to chamber court where i have to get lawyer. i know if it even goes there i will win.

i want to know how much lawyer would cost? if i win, will the other side pay for my lawyer cost? can the lawyer increase the total amount?

thanks

betoche
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 23, 2009
lawyer is quite expensive (vary between 7000-20000) and mostly they're lazy (no initiative, careless).

first, i suggest to study yourself the law (elaws.gov.ae). so you know your position and rights. and having a friend who knows and can translate Arabic to English (vice versa) would be helpful. instead of paying expensive lawyer and translation service. lawyer is not mandatory, there's translator in each session. after all, there's almost no argumentation at court, all process is by submitting written arguments/documents and response is given in the next session.

second, if you haven't got another job, you need to calculate your expenses for living here without income, legal translations for all the documents you submitted (70-100 per page). the process is so slow, it will take months. let alone for appeals.

if all worth it, proceed further. otherwise just accept what company offers you.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 23, 2009
this issue is same as issue in the other thread with id 38815

i did not have any absences. even after termination, sent me first warning that i am not coming to office which is not true

i live with my family here. i am not worried about my expenses for living. just waiting to get new job. i have read the law and i am 99% sure i will win.i have been to the court but the case has not been sent to the higher court (chamber). if i dont agree on the offer(they offered me 65% of total amount which i dont like and i want them to burn) then it will be sent chamber court. then in that case i need to get lawyer as i believe.

just like to know if i get lawyer and i win, will they pay for my judge expenses? and can lawyer increase total amount?
betoche
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 23, 2009
betoche wrote:just like to know if i get lawyer and i win, will they pay for my judge expenses? and can lawyer increase total amount?

as per law if you win the employer must pay the court fee. but just to make sure to put it in your claim/arguments when opening the case.

you need to make a deal/agreement (written is better) about the fee with the lawyer prior to appoint them a power of attorney (need to go to notary public). lumpsum (including/excluding appeals), winning fee & losing fee, or percentage of the amount claimed, etc. but for sure, get the one who really care & help you, not some lazy a.s.s weasel.

sometimes they will ask more (for example to open a counter case if you're the defendant, but less likely in your case as you're the claimant). that's why it's better for you to understand (at least familiar) first how the court process works and the law so that you won't get screwed with your own lawyer.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 23, 2009
the case has already been opened. and i have not requested for the court and lawyer fee to be paid by lawyer. is another case will be opened if it goes to higher court. or can i modify it?
winning the case means all the money?
betoche
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 23, 2009
court fee is not lawyer fee. i'm not sure you can claim your lawyer fee to your employer, check with your lawyer.

if you have the valid reason and more proof, you can submit more claim.

normally if you win mean you get all what you claim, but it all depends on judge decision.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Dubai court help Aug 25, 2013
Hi
i was working in a training institute. this institute don't pay me the salary for last 6 months and does not want to cancel my visa because the sponsor is disappear his phone is off and office is closed no one knows that where is he. i went to labor department. and i told them that i am leaving the salary but i want to cancel my visa but they told me that you will have a banned because you don't complete your 1 year. i want to ask that if this person don't give me the salary and don't want to cancel my visa even then i will get the banned. and now they send me the dubai court. so now what will be the process in dubai court???? and court will also put the banned on me if i cancel my visa without sponsor?
Thank you very much
khan2522
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Dubai Court Help Mar 13, 2014
xty ,hello I never used an attorney in the US they are lazy and just work to get all your money. Is an translation accepted. I have a friend who would translate for me and I am reviewing the laws and procedures now.
maxx626
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Dubai Court Help Jul 16, 2014
I have a credit card which was already expired and they did not issue me anymore the new credit card, can they still continue the interest in my credit card?
dex1127
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Dubai Court Help Jul 16, 2014
All documents submitted to the court must be in Arabic or legally translated by a court approved translation service. The defendant in my case submitted 7 documents to support a counter claim against are all in english and not translated. I my answer I asked the judge to dismiss the claim based upon the rules of the court that require all documents to be legally translated.
maxx626
Dubai Expat Wannabe

undefined Aug 13, 2014
khan2522 ,

what happen now what did u do? im experiencing the same problem.
khayceer
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Re: Dubai Court Help Nov 18, 2014
khayceer ,

I havent registered any of my case but because of the case i filed last 2012 my previous company cannot cancelled me , the labour has told me to go to the court. please help
bodymist
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum