Canadians In Dubai

Topic locked
Jan 14, 2006
Indi,

Canada is probably one of the of few remaining countries with minimal discrimination. In fact, other countries like France, Uk etc. are taking the Canadian's integration system as an example for their own country.

Sorry to say, but if you didn't manage to make friends within 6 years in Canada, you probably wont have more friends in Dubai. In fact, making friends is all up to you, regardless of where u live.

Maybe you should have tried Montreal, they have a big hispanic community ( because of the french language ). ( Not sure about that, but i guess that there isnt many hispanic expats in dubai or in the gulf region..)

So please, dont bash Canada because i know for a fact that South America is MUCH MORE intolerant than North America ...

sambo
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Jan 14, 2006
I am not bashing about Canada. I used to live in Winnipeg, I went to school there and I had friends there since it's easier to get friends in school, I even met my husband there, but everyone moved. Once I moved to Ontario and I started working I see it's difficult to make friends. Canadians already have theirs friends, and immigrants tend to be with their people. My question was that in UAE since eveyone seems to be new if it was easier to get friends. I did not say that Canada was not tolerant, that has nothing to do with making friends, do not confuse and miss my point. Canadians do not treat immigrants bad, I just said many of them do not seem to like to be friends with inmigrants which is different. And for your information in south America is way easier to make friends, and I know that, even if you are a foreigner. Tolerance is something else.
indi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2006
Hi milo99, I'm also a fellow Canadian that moved from Toronto 9 months ago and don't regret it. Yes the summer was the hottest experience that i've ever encounted but everything is airconditioned so you really don't feel it except if you spend lots of time outdoors. however the flipside is by the end of August it started to get batter till now and will continue till April they say...you know how damp and cold it gets in TO, beleive me i would not trade the U.A.E for TO in a heartbeat at least for now. We do have Second Cup no Tim Hortons though, thats when i really felt at home. Yes everything is a bit extreme here, massive construction projects, the driving is crazy here and life moves quickly, but you learn to adapt quickly or else you will end up hating this place. Come with an open mind to experience a new culture and life and you will enjoy it.
Littlefeach
Dubai Forum Guest

Jan 15, 2006
Thanks Littlefeach. I'm amazed at all the positive feedback I get from talking about the U.A.E.! Perhaps I should visit there for a couple of weeks and see what it's like. Thanks.
milo99
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 16, 2006
I can't believe the amount of positive feedback I get when I mention that I'm thinking of moving to Dubai! Everyone I have spoken too here in Toronto, and even the people here in this forum have nothing but good things to say about life in Dubai. I'm really excited about this whole idea, and I have my friend here at work to thank for that. I wonder though, I would probably need to go over there with some money in my pocket for unexpected expenses don't I?
milo99
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jan 16, 2006
I wanna see more straight canadians in Dubai when I reach and I dont prefer ppl like Liban and his rainbow gang
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 16, 2006
Sniper, behave yourself :P
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum