Advise On Housing

Topic locked
Advise on Housing Oct 07, 2007
I'm moving to Dubai in December, first month on hotel accommodation and then i'm on my own by January. Some people i know advised me that living in Sharjah saves them a lot as opposed to areas like Al Qusais that are nearer to my office,, not sure i got the areas right,, lol, my office will be near Terminal 2 (DXB Airport).

Where exactly is Sharjah,, how far from Terminal 2 is it, any issues on taxes etc if i live on this area? How much cheaper will i save for a similar housing in the Deira area? Thanks in advance for your inputs.

studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 07, 2007
sharjah is the emirate (and city) basically to the right of dubai. close to the airport from an access perspective. be warned though sharjah is governed differently to dubai - no legal drinking, no bars... basically more consrvative than dubai. prices used to be much cheaper, but have gone up steadily as more people have opted to stay outside of dubai and commute. ajman is also an option to stay in, but it is also quiet conservative.

normally the downside to staying in sharjah is the traffic to and from dubai - but as your'e working quiet closely it shouldn't be to much of an issue
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 07, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:sharjah is the emirate (and city) basically to the right of dubai. close to the airport from an access perspective. be warned though sharjah is governed differently to dubai - no legal drinking, no bars... basically more consrvative than dubai. prices used to be much cheaper, but have gone up steadily as more people have opted to stay outside of dubai and commute. ajman is also an option to stay in, but it is also quiet conservative.

normally the downside to staying in sharjah is the traffic to and from dubai - but as your'e working quiet closely it shouldn't be to much of an issue

Basically all correct, however they do have a legal Bar, Sharjah Rugby Club is 100% legal.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 07, 2007
i'd forgotten about that :) the last outpost!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 07, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:sharjah is the emirate (and city) basically to the right of dubai. close to the airport from an access perspective. be warned though sharjah is governed differently to dubai - no legal drinking, no bars... basically more consrvative than dubai. prices used to be much cheaper, but have gone up steadily as more people have opted to stay outside of dubai and commute. ajman is also an option to stay in, but it is also quiet conservative.

Basically all correct, however Ajman is known for the cheapest beer in the three states. Cheap enough for labourers to make trips there just for the booze.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 08, 2007
thanks guys,, any issues on taxation? does living in sharjah have any effect on what i earn in dubai?
studstar
Dubai forums Addict

Oct 08, 2007
IMO living in Sharjah (especially near the border of Dubai) nowadays is not that cheaper than living in Dubai (e.g. Al Ghusais and surroundings). Yet you'd stuck with more traffic (means more petrol=expense). If I were you, if it were for only 5-10K/year rent difference, I'd stay in Dubai. One place (emirate) means less hassle for paperworks as well (rent, car registration, immigration, etc).
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Oct 08, 2007
xty wrote:IMO living in Sharjah (especially near the border of Dubai) nowadays is not that cheaper than living in Dubai (e.g. Al Ghusais and surroundings). Yet you'd stuck with more traffic (means more petrol=expense). If I were you, if it were for only 5-10K/year rent difference, I'd stay in Dubai. One place (emirate) means less hassle for paperworks as well (rent, car registration, immigration, etc).

As long as he has a Dubai visa, he can get all paperwork done in Dubai. Heck, I have a Sharjah visa, but all I had to show was proof of residence in Dubai to have my car registered in Dubai. Rent and utilities are from Sharjah departments, but then again, he has to visit them all separately anyway even in Dubai.

Petrol is cheap too, but in the end he should consider moving to Dubai just to avoid traffic.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum