Who Listens To The Radio?

Topic locked
Who listens to the radio? Dec 17, 2009
I mean, who listens to the radio at home? I never ever do. the only time I listen to the radio is when I am inside my car. I was thinking that I probably don't know anyone who does (specially not in the UAE). The radio stations are always asking people to text stuff and in my mind the vast majority of listeners at any given time are drivers (texting whilst driving is not a safe thing to do IMHO).

the only other time to "listen" to the radio is perhaps when the alarm goes off although not so much so now that many people use the mobile for everything.

XPT
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Who listens to the radio? Dec 17, 2009
Actually all stations ask people to text only if it's safe to do so and do not encourage it whilst driving, also phone calls should be done with a headset.

I'm a constant flicker.

I know lots of people who listen via the net at work, in taxis, in shopping malls etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I never listen to the radio, tooo boring for me, even in the car!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Chocoholic wrote:Actually all stations ask people to text only if it's safe to do so and do not encourage it whilst driving, also phone calls should be done with a headset.

I'm a constant flicker.

I know lots of people who listen via the net at work, in taxis, in shopping malls etc etc.

yeah but the radio stationg only say so for CYA reasons.

Do you listen to the radio at home?
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

XPT wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Actually all stations ask people to text only if it's safe to do so and do not encourage it whilst driving, also phone calls should be done with a headset.

I'm a constant flicker.

yeah but the radio stationg only say so for CYA reasons.

Do you listen to the radio at home?

Sometimes! But let's just say I don't like to take my 'work' home with me!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

What really bugs me about the radio stations in Dubai are the presenters.

Accepted that most people in Dubai, do not consider English to be their first language, but the quality of presenters in Dubai is far below the standards of other countries.

The language used, the stories covered, and the tone of voice of presenters I find very kindergarten-teacher-like, and these are 'western' RJ's?!?

Also, the way presenters speak to their guests, and callers... wow, how condescending. Have since stopped listening to a particular 'news'-station whether in the car, or at home.
onthepalm
Dubai Forums Frequenter

I agree and disagree, there are some very good jocks out there. But the reality is that pay isn't great so stations here are never going to attract any real 'talent'.

You can't put a focus on 'English' stations like that when there are stations broadcasting in Urdu, Arabic, Hindi, Tagalog etc etc to cater for people who's first language isn't English.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

chocs,

agree to both your points :)

Having lived in the UK most my life, having been brought up listening to London's LBC, I was taken aback when I first heard the news stations here.

I remember about a year ago, one of the guests on a particular morning show was from somewhere around the mid-east. His English was poor, and he spoke slowly..... the quickfire questions from the presenters really pissed me off. The poor man didn't have a chance, he had most like paid for a slot to promote his company or product, and was completely slammed. In all honesty, it was funny to listen to..... but since that day, I haven't listened to the wireless in Dubai.
onthepalm
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Well that's just poor on the stations part as you'd never agree to put someone on air who would have difficulties communicating, it's poor radio and poor presenting skills.

It really bugs me that many presenters here make basic mistakes, some need a real good talking to, voice coaching for many wouldn't go a miss either, with some you can literally hear the cogs whiring and the 'read' it's not natural. But snoop sessions for most people here are far and few between, so they're never pulled up on their issues.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

melika969 wrote:I never listen to the radio, tooo boring for me, even in the car!

Thats probally cuz you only get to hear bandari songs or govt propoganda on the local stations :D

BTW I'm actually quite fond of bandari music. Sandy being one of my favs
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

You pay more for a text to a radio station and they take a cut of profit, that's why they are forever telling you to text in about something or other.

I realise the finanical limitations and cultural restrictions placed on stations here but ultimately they are still rubbish. I download podcasts from the UK instead.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Correct one thing they fail to always mention somehow is its cost 3dh per SMS. Well atleast with the two gulfnews stations. Dunno about the rest though
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Correct one thing they fail to always mention somehow is its cost 3dh per SMS. Well atleast with the two gulfnews stations. Dunno about the rest though

I've never heard a single radio station say that it cost money to text them.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

XPT wrote:
desertdudeshj wrote:Correct one thing they fail to always mention somehow is its cost 3dh per SMS. Well atleast with the two gulfnews stations. Dunno about the rest though

It varies between 1 and 6 dirhams. No stations has 15 or 30 fil texts anymore.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:
XPT wrote:

It varies between 1 and 6 dirhams. No stations has 15 or 30 fil texts anymore.

No, No. I know it costs to sms but no radio station I've heard ever says that it costs money to text. Desertdudesh posts says 'they fail to always mention" i thought it meant that sometimes they do and other times they dont but maybe the poster meant "they always fail to mention".
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

I listen to catboy and geordie bird when i drive in and do text in songs for the comp they run in the morning if there is a half decent prize but has been when im a passenger.

When I am at home i will listen to radio on the net wether it be UK stations or one of the stations on Live365 playing what i feel like at that moment.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

XPT wrote:No, No. I know it costs to sms but no radio station I've heard ever says that it costs money to text. Desertdudesh posts says 'they fail to always mention" i thought it meant that sometimes they do and other times they dont but maybe the poster meant "they always fail to mention".

FAIL !
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
melika969 wrote:I never listen to the radio, tooo boring for me, even in the car!

Thats probally cuz you only get to hear bandari songs or govt propoganda on the local stations :D

BTW I'm actually quite fond of bandari music. Sandy being one of my favs

lol

they don't play bandari songs on the local stations, cause it is against their islamic beliefs.

Sandy is a rapper! he just has few bandari music too!
P.S. My statement was about radio generally, not just local stations.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Who listens to the radio? Dec 19, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
XPT wrote:No, No. I know it costs to sms but no radio station I've heard ever says that it costs money to text. Desertdudesh posts says 'they fail to always mention" i thought it meant that sometimes they do and other times they dont but maybe the poster meant "they always fail to mention".

FAIL !

Yeah I know, but what to do. Because there is no regulatory authority here, stations are not obligated to tell you how much things cost. They should do I agree.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat