Ramadan Vacation

Topic locked
ramadan vacation Jul 03, 2009
HII ALL:

I'm sure that quite few of u heard about the negotiations went on as to have the whole month of Ramadan as a holiday and to start schools after that.
So do u feel that this should be applied for the universities tooo.

Share any comments u would like 2 have on this subject.

silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 03, 2009
Well the quality of education here is crap anyways. so one more month off - and whether they stay at home or go to school is one and the same - doesnt make any difference.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 03, 2009
I just curious. So for how long will schools actually be closed? Is it like close to 4 months?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2009
The descion already made, Ramadan will be a holiday & School will start after Eid (23-9-2009), For Private Schools which doesnt follow the Ministery Circulum can start earlier
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2009
uaebadoo wrote:The descion already made, Ramadan will be a holiday & School will start after Eid (23-9-2009), For Private Schools which doesnt follow the Ministery Circulum can start earlier

I remember my holiday periods during primary school being around 8 weeks every year. This was huge and more than enough to play and get the mind of school.

If its gonna be (12 to 16 weeks) then I think this will not benefit the future mindset of children as they will get distracted from the real deal of education and initial development.

The change from primary to secondary school will be like having holiday forever to working forever without holidays.

What about student development?

btw: The children with ADHD will surely lose focus with so much freedom. No structure, no nothing....
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 04, 2009
Good grief. What a stupid decision to make! Great so 4 entire months of having to put up with annoying little people taking over the malls and irritating adults.

I'm sure this will do wonders for their education. :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 04, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Good grief. What a stupid decision to make! Great so 4 entire months of having to put up with annoying little people taking over the malls and irritating adults.

I'm sure this will do wonders for their education. :roll:

Were you ever one of those "annoying little people" :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 04, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
uaebadoo wrote:The descion already made, Ramadan will be a holiday & School will start after Eid (23-9-2009), For Private Schools which doesnt follow the Ministery Circulum can start earlier

I remember my holiday periods during primary school being around 8 weeks every year. This was huge and more than enough to play and get the mind of school.

If its gonna be (12 to 16 weeks) then I think this will not benefit the future mindset of children as they will get distracted from the real deal of education and initial development.

The change from primary to secondary school will be like having holiday forever to working forever without holidays.

What about student development?

btw: The children with ADHD will surely lose focus with so much freedom. No structure, no nothing....

The school period will remain the same, It will be extended up to End of June.
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 04, 2009
Dont be a fool, stay in school.

Send your kids for summer school or private tutoring.

Choc: child aversion....not a good sign.
Guardasil
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 04, 2009
ya i dont feel like it makes difference in the same time already schools r off so its like extending the holiday for 1 month and a week more...

In my university everyone went crazy coz we r not having this holiday but in my point of view its better not 2 have it coz i cant imagine myself setting home for this long holiday doing nuthng......
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:I just curious. So for how long will schools actually be closed? Is it like close to 4 months?

its one month (Ramadan) and around 1 week coz of EID.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard of.
If they want to alter the schooling day for local schools then go ahead, fill yer boots.....but the expat private schools work a different syllabus.
As much as I love my kids, the thought of them being off school for 1/4 of a year makes me shudder.
Now I see there's talk of schools increasing the school day or even making the kids go to school on a Saturday to make up the lost time.

Really, it's not like the Ramadan, Eid holiday has suddenly cropped up, why on earth do these idiots in charge of stuff not try a bit of forward planning ??
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
I don't understand why everyone keeps discounting spiritual growth. It's an essential part of the growth process. For every child and man!

Think bout it from a child's perspective. Fasting for 45 days with school and other chores is not at all feasible. For all you non Muslims, try fasting for even 2 days on the trot.It's really tough. Oh btw I'm a Catholic raised agnostic.
And I've done a little schooling here so I am aware of the fact that a lot of kids do fast and many try to but it's really hard to keep it up for 45 days, with school work and all. Beside if one wants to inculcate spiritual values it's best to do so when one is young. And we follow Islamic Law here so including Ramadan into an educative curriculum is fair.

Yet at the same time there has to be an alternative. Schools must be kept open for 1-2months and offer alternative courses to students like travel, music, sport,literature,art, scouts etc all inclusive in the annual school fees. So if one desires he can still go to school. Now that would be brilliant!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 04, 2009
Ramadan fasten is 4 1 month.

I dont have any problem whether the holiday in on or off but wat i really hate is :::: Is the human beings in government schools different than human beings in private schools?????

I mean f they came up with this holiday becoz students cant focus while fasting and cant study and go 2 schools then this should aplicable for all schools,,,

I dont feel its fair or logic
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
This sure is a weird decision to be made. Honestly, as a muslim, I never had a problem with fasting and going to school. Besides, school times were changed in Ramadan anyway! from 8 to 12. That's pretty do able. Just avoid doing sports in such scorching heat and you're all set.

And the whole point of Ramadan is to fast AND carry on doing things that you normally do in life. Thats when a person truly understands the meaning of Ramadan and fasting.

If someone is fasting and sleeps the whole day to "kill" their time, then what's the point of fasting in the first place? where is the struggle of life gone?
redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 04, 2009
redtilldead wrote:This sure is a weird decision to be made. Honestly, as a muslim, I never had a problem with fasting and going to school. Besides, school times were changed in Ramadan anyway! from 8 to 12. That's pretty do able. Just avoid doing sports in such scorching heat and you're all set.

And the whole point of Ramadan is to fast AND carry on doing things that you normally do in life. Thats when a person truly understands the meaning of Ramadan and fasting.

If someone is fasting and sleeps the whole day to "kill" their time, then what's the point of fasting in the first place? where is the struggle of life gone?

I believe that f students have the summer hoilday which is approximately 2 months and ramadan holiday then its hard 4 them 2 catch up in studies later or have the spirit 2 study.

its like me i'm n university and id having now 1 month off and i will start my summer b course in 2 weeks and i feel ohhhhh as f i didnt touch a book since years and cant put my mind into studying ( although i will do it) :)
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 05, 2009
silent wrote:
redtilldead wrote:This sure is a weird decision to be made. Honestly, as a muslim, I never had a problem with fasting and going to school. Besides, school times were changed in Ramadan anyway! from 8 to 12. That's pretty do able. Just avoid doing sports in such scorching heat and you're all set.

I believe that f students have the summer hoilday which is approximately 2 months and ramadan holiday then its hard 4 them 2 catch up in studies later or have the spirit 2 study.

its like me i'm n university and id having now 1 month off and i will start my summer b course in 2 weeks and i feel ohhhhh as f i didnt touch a book since years and cant put my mind into studying ( although i will do it) :)

What are you studying luv?
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Ramadan Vacation Mar 26, 2011
Sometimes religion can be a hindrance on some matters. When some occasions is being celebrated due to some different reasons and they study in some different country, that is right that if they have leave the class for several days, it would be hard for them to cope up.
jiivxil
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat