Parking

Topic locked
Parking Nov 03, 2006
Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Municipality have removed nearly 1000 parking spaces from the Emirates Towers side of Sheikh Zayed Road whilst they build the foundation work for the new Metro.

As a result, people are parking where they can, often on sand lots, larger sections of pavement, off the road, not obstructing anything.

Then they give everyone tickets!

Maybe they are trying to pay for the new Metro in parking fines?

:x :x :x

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Parking Nov 03, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Municipality have removed nearly 1000 parking spaces from the Emirates Towers side of Sheikh Zayed Road whilst they build the foundation work for the new Metro.

As a result, people are parking where they can, often on sand lots, larger sections of pavement, off the road, not obstructing anything.

Knight

Maybe they are just conditioning people to think that it will be much more covenient and hassle free to take the Metro :wink:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 03, 2006
is the metro going to be above or below ground, out of interest??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 03, 2006
the_zooter wrote:is the metro going to be above or below ground, out of interest??

Overland... sky train as its called in come cities
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

yes thts what they are trying 2 do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :x :x

Dubai Knight wrote:Not sure if anyone has noticed, but Municipality have removed nearly 1000 parking spaces from the Emirates Towers side of Sheikh Zayed Road whilst they build the foundation work for the new Metro.

Knight
westside
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 03, 2006
:( :( :(

I've noticed that too. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Dubai Knight wrote:

Knight

I totally agree with you.
girl_glen
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sky train Nov 03, 2006
There is an excellent sky train system operating in Bangkok, i have been using it since it opened on and off. Much more convienient than taking a busted up taxi ride.

Regards. :)
Freonboy
Dubai Forum User

Nov 04, 2006
I've seen them ticket cars in the Greens where people park on the side walk if there is no parking available around the buildings. I don't see the justification. Its a residential community, not a public area. And they are not obstructing traffic in any way why ticket them? I've seen many instances of cars parked on sidewalks in Safa and Jumeirah by home owners who park their cars outside their own houses but no issues there.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 04, 2006
What I also noticed is that we have to pay for parking Saturday thru Thursdays 8:00 - 13:00 and from 16:00 to 21:00. I thought before the change in the weekend, that we did not have to pay on PM Thursdays, is this correct?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
yorky500 wrote:What I also noticed is that we have to pay for parking Saturday thru Thursdays 8:00 - 13:00 and from 16:00 to 21:00. I thought before the change in the weekend, that we did not have to pay on PM Thursdays, is this correct?

The only time its free is Fridays and public holidays. Thursdays is right through until 9.00pm still!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 04, 2006
I know, but since the change in the weekends, i have noticed that we have LOST free parking on thursday PM's.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 04, 2006
Now you know why the government finally agreed to the weekend change! They wanted to make more money for the Metro by taking away the Thursday PM free parking benefit.
PrettyPenny
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 04, 2006
Remember the whole thing is so much interconnected, every wing of business adds up to the giant enterprise, dubai is dreaming off. Just to take a look at things..

Dubai's construction boom would create more and more staying places which would host and assimilate more people. At an avg, any house in the SZR n the surrounding areas would have atleast 2 vehicles, resulting in the increase of traffic. Which they would not controll coz its an income to the License issuing dept. Giving Licenses will never b restricted because the Automobile giants coughup a huge chunk of money in UAE.
And it also results in another major income generating business segment of Dubai, Police. More vehicles - less space - more parking charges - more fines. That keeps the local ethnic groups also content coz it creates more jobs for them.. So it keeps every one happy. Except those who work their ass out to make more and more money. :D :D
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 04, 2006
St.Lucifer wrote:Remember the whole thing is so much interconnected, every wing of business adds up to the giant enterprise, dubai is dreaming off. Just to take a look at things..

Dubai's construction boom would create more and more staying places which would host and assimilate more people. At an avg, any house in the SZR n the surrounding areas would have atleast 2 vehicles, resulting in the increase of traffic. Which they would not controll coz its an income to the License issuing dept. Giving Licenses will never b restricted because the Automobile giants coughup a huge chunk of money in UAE.
And it also results in another major income generating business segment of Dubai, Police. More vehicles - less space - more parking charges - more fines. That keeps the local ethnic groups also content coz it creates more jobs for them.. So it keeps every one happy. Except those who work their a#s out to make more and more money. :D :D

Capitalism :wink:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 04, 2006
Just gets more and more frustrating here... It's unvelievable how there is already scarce parking spaces in many areas in Dubai, but yet they install more and more parking meters while removing existing parking areas! It's a vicious cycle really, instead of all the stupid skyscrapers (Yaqoub Tower anyone? One that looks like Big Ben next to Capricorn)SZR needs one parking building, hopefully affordable... On the other side of SZR next to the Tabreed building, that would be a very ideal location IMHO... Anyway, we won't get anywhere by talking about it, expect more car parks to be removed :)
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat